The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

I still don't see any pics...

Here’s one...still trying to sort it out with the dealer. Didn’t see it at first opening since I wasn’t really looking all that close and it was at night with a lamp. I just unpacked it, tuned up, played a little bit, and put it back in the case.

Pulled it out of the case when I got home from work with full daylight, went to plug it in, looked down and saw this. :(

0oTFzF8.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s one...still trying to sort it out with the dealer. Didn’t see it at first opening since I wasn’t really looking all that close and it was at night with a lamp. I just unpacked it, tuned up, played a little bit, and put it back in the case.

Pulled it out of the case when I got home from work with full daylight, went to plug it in, looked down and saw this. :(

0oTFzF8.jpg

Ouch!

I would blow a gasket
Things like that don't normally bother me because I can negotiate a scratch and dent sale.
But, when you're paying one arm, one leg, and trading your soul for a PRS, it better be mint

I would blow a gasket
Things like that don't normally bother me because I can negotiate a scratch and dent sale.
But, when you're paying one arm, one leg, and trading your soul for a PRS, it better be mint

Yeah it would have been nice to know but **** happens I guess. I’m waiting to see if we can work out compensation. Considering the severity of the dent that’s probably the upper end of what a used one would sell for. I take great care of my stuff and should I ever decide to sell it this dent will be a major factor. This is beyond what I’d expect from a floor model.

If not, I’ll send it back and find another one. I had one of those weeks where nothing surprises me so luckily I was desensitized by the time I got it.

If it were a custom order I’d been waiting on that’s a whole different story.

At the very least I know the hollowbody version is everything I was hoping it would be.

Last edited:
I would blow a gasket

So what would you ask for in this situation?

I'd send it back to the factory to get fixed.

If it were any other brand, I'd negotiate a price break. But for a PRS? I wouldn't accept anything less than 100% perfection

So what would you ask for in this situation?

If the guitar was new, I would demand that the store either gets it fixed by PRS or provide you with an alternative.

If the guitar is sold as used, I would demand a discount for not being sold as described or consider a full refund and return the guitar.

It also really depends on you and how much the guitar means to you, how much you love the rest of the guitar, the tones and the playability. If its not a guitar you want or need then I may be more inclined to push for a full refund or a bigger discount - a discount big enough to make a difference on how you feel - after all the damage isnt affecting the sound, feel or playability so a sizeable discount may make it more of a bargain and more to your liking.

If the Guitar was everything you really wanted, albeit with a minor bit of damage, then I may be more ready to accept a smaller discount rather than really push for more because I am not prepared to push for a full refund and go without the guitar.

Its difficult to say exactly what you should ask for as it depends on whether you are prepared to give the guitar back for a full refund or go without for a period of time whilst the shop organises a repair.

Yeah it was new and the only one in stock at the moment.

It looks like they’re willing to just barely extend the original negotiated price and it’ll end up being about 15% off list after all is said and done.

It seems to me like I’d be able to do that on a mint guitar all day long, though.

Sending it to PRS is a can of worms I wouldn’t open unless it were super rare or I’d special ordered it.

It looks like they’re willing to just barely extend the original negotiated price and it’ll end up being about 15% off list after all is said and done.

It seems to me like I’d be able to do that on a mint guitar all day long, though.

Sending it to PRS is a can of worms I wouldn’t open unless it were super rare or I’d special ordered it.

Totally agree on being able to negotiate 15% at point of sale. That offer wouldn't do it for me.

Don't agree with the can of worms statement. Their Customer Service is top notch, and the PTC is second to none. I've sent two guitars in for refinish (no problet's, I was just wanting something different), and some mods and the result on both was above my expectations. Last year I bought a WL 509 that had a wire come loose in shipping, and a mini toggle that flaked after a couple of weeks. They paid for shipping, both ways, and took care of the issues. I would have had it back in less than two weeks, but opted to wait for Paul to return from travels so he could sign it.

Totally agree on being able to negotiate 15% at point of sale. That offer wouldn't do it for me.

Don't agree with the can of worms statement. Their Customer Service is top notch, and the PTC is second to none. I've sent two guitars in for refinish (no problet's, I was just wanting something different), and some mods and the result on both was above my expectations. Last year I bought a WL 509 that had a wire come loose in shipping, and a mini toggle that flaked after a couple of weeks. They paid for shipping, both ways, and took care of the issues. I would have had it back in less than two weeks, but opted to wait for Paul to return from travels so he could sign it.

I just assume that it will take forever knowing my luck.

I just assume that it will take forever knowing my luck.

Ahh....I get that. Hit and miss, I'd say. Both refins they quoted me 16 weeks. The first one was exactly 16 weeks. The 2nd was done in 6. I'm not sure if warranty work goes to the front of the line though. I would think it would.

Should the pickups have the model number inscribed in the cover or have they stopped doing that?

As its brand new, I would put the onus on the store to get it sorted or demand a full refund. It doesn't matter how much you can negotiate a deal - even if its 15% - I normally get 5-10% on most Perfect PRS guitars and 15%, whilst good, isn't great. It also affects any resale value - not that you should think about its sale value on a new guitar.

Everything I have heard about PRS and the PTC department is incredibly excellent. It shouldn't fall on you though to sort it out - at least not in the first instance but the retailers job. If you don't get the service you think you should, maybe them get in touch with the PTC department yourself and explain your situation to them. I would be very surprised if they are anything but helpful - the only downside could be the amount of time it can take but they are excellent at their job and have one of, if not the best Customer Service.

Its best though to give the store the first chance to resolve this but if its not a satisfactory answer, don't be afraid to contact PTC yourself and explain everything, inc the fact you tried to go through the store, and go from there...

As its brand new, I would put the onus on the store to get it sorted or demand a full refund. It doesn't matter how much you can negotiate a deal - even if its 15% - I normally get 5-10% on most Perfect PRS guitars and 15%, whilst good, isn't great. It also affects any resale value - not that you should think about its sale value on a new guitar.

Everything I have heard about PRS and the PTC department is incredibly excellent. It shouldn't fall on you though to sort it out - at least not in the first instance but the retailers job. If you don't get the service you think you should, maybe them get in touch with the PTC department yourself and explain your situation to them. I would be very surprised if they are anything but helpful - the only downside could be the amount of time it can take but they are excellent at their job and have one of, if not the best Customer Service.

Its best though to give the store the first chance to resolve this but if its not a satisfactory answer, don't be afraid to contact PTC yourself and explain everything, inc the fact you tried to go through the store, and go from there...

I actually did email PTC this morning so we’ll see how they respond. If it’s gonna be weeks or months then that makes the decision a lot easier.

It doesn’t seem like the seller is too motivated to do anything else about it, which is fine. They’re seeing it from the other side of the fence. But they’re gonna have shipped it both ways and have to re-list it likely at a lowered price and then ship it again if somebody buys it.

Resale is a valid line of thought. If something does come up and I need to sell it will be that much harder and more of a loss and for something with which I had no part. Even a repair will probably impact that. I don’t mind battle scars but I wasn’t even enlisted when this occurred.

This isn't the first time I've seen QAQC issues on this forum.

Did you order this online, or buy it from a brick and mortar?

If it's online, good luck. I can't imagine them caring much. One pissed off customer is a drop in the bucket, and the aggravation isn't worth it.

Not saying I agree with it and certainly not defending them. I'm just looking at it from a bean counter's perspective.

Brick & mortar store would be quick to handle this for you, I would think. They can't afford an upset customer plus, they know the factory will foot the bill for shipping in all directions and repair it in a reasonably timely manner.

This and the other QAQC issues I've seen here has convinced me to only buy PRSi from a brick & mortar dealer.
I'm friends with my drug dealer I mean guitar dealer. I know he would thoroughly inspect every single square millimeter and verify the setup before calling to tell me it arrived. Plus, if there were an issue, he would call the factory and have it ready to ship back to them before calling me.

That's just my local drug dealer I mean guitar dealer. YMMV.

IDK it's well past midnight, and I gotta be up at 6 to get on the road. I lost my train of thought and don't have time to figure out what I was saying.

Hope something here helps

This isn't the first time I've seen QAQC issues on this forum.

Did you order this online, or buy it from a brick and mortar?

If it's online, good luck. I can't imagine them caring much. One pissed off customer is a drop in the bucket, and the aggravation isn't worth it.

Not saying I agree with it and certainly not defending them. I'm just looking at it from a bean counter's perspective.

Brick & mortar store would be quick to handle this for you, I would think. They can't afford an upset customer plus, they know the factory will foot the bill for shipping in all directions and repair it in a reasonably timely manner.

This and the other QAQC issues I've seen here has convinced me to only buy PRSi from a brick & mortar dealer.
I'm friends with my drug dealer I mean guitar dealer. I know he would thoroughly inspect every single square millimeter and verify the setup before calling to tell me it arrived. Plus, if there were an issue, he would call the factory and have it ready to ship back to them before calling me.

That's just my local drug dealer I mean guitar dealer. YMMV.

IDK it's well past midnight, and I gotta be up at 6 to get on the road. I lost my train of thought and don't have time to figure out what I was saying.

Hope something here helps

Yeah it was online. It’s super easy to return it so that isn’t really an issue. PTC says $800 plus shipping to repair.

Bummer because I like it. Definitely don’t want to get kicked in the nuts to own it, though. Another will come along...

Yeah it was online. It’s super easy to return it so that isn’t really an issue. PTC says $800 plus shipping to repair.

Bummer because I like it. Definitely don’t want to get kicked in the nuts to own it, though. Another will come along...

$800? WTF? Well that makes your decision an easy one.

You're right, the Hollowbody version is only just now hitting the streets, so there will be plenty more to come along. Better luck with the next one!

Not a warranty repair?????

Back