That magical 1/4 turn

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
I've posted a similar message before, but I'm always a little surprised by how something so small can make such a big difference. So, I recently received a very nice guitar, and while the action was very good, I wondered if I could make it even better to fit my personal taste. Obviously, before I made any changes, I checked the action, and it seemed to be right on. However, just for kicks I thought I'd try a quarter truss rod turn to bring the action down a smidge.

Wow! :eek: It went from good to great. :)

Now, I'll be the first to admit that we don't all like the same action level, but regardless, it is surprising how such a little movement can change the feel so much. And, no harm-no foul; if I doesn't improve for your taste, it's easy to put it back.

1/4 turn = magic

Apologies for questions from a complete idiot, but I'd appreciate some advice from the knowledgeable folk on here. I've noticed a slight raising of the action on my Custom 22 over the last month or so as the heating at home has been used. I'm assuming that the turn is to tighten the TR? If facing the TR from the top of the headstock, which way should I turn it? I assume clockwise (righty-tighty) but would like it confirmed before trying it. Do I loosen the strings first? If so, do I then re-tune instantly or wait for it to settle overnight first? Will I need to re-intonate or reset bridge height as a result? Thanks in advance, and I hope I'm not the only one wondering about this.

100% agree. A little tweak can go a long way.

FWIW, I find necks can bend a very little bit with weather changes so it's not uncommon to tweak them for summer / winter. My preferred setup is to have the neck bowed up the tiniest bit upwards and bring the action to where I can bend notes cleanly but not have it so high that I can't play fast.

Agreed. That’s why there are never any TRC’s on my most played guitars
Just recently I watched Paul's youtube video talking about his "new" (at that time) production of the 1980 West St. Limited. He said he left the back tremolo-spring plate off the guitar because all the best/most-played guitars were all missing the back plate as well as the truss-rod cover. Doesn't explain why the Westie has an Ohm truss-rod cover, but still... I understand what you & he were getting at. (Though, I do always put mine back on.)

Back