That magical 1/4 turn

I also (obviously) notice a big (enough) change in tone too. A lil bit of slap on the bass strings tightens up the tone, and the opposite gives strings a rounder sound.

Again, obviously.

One of the best things to come out of visiting the factory for me was the mini-clinic on truss rod adjustments. I always used to treat it like a scary voodoo thing that would f!?k up my guitar if I did it wrong...

Nah. Just an eighth or a quarter of a turn can do quite a lot for your action, especially in the middle of the neck. I certainly can't mess that up as bad as, say pickup swaps.

It made huge difference on (of all things) my Mexican Jazz bass. I think I need to back it off and relax the neck a bit now because the action is a hair too light.

Apologies for questions from a complete idiot, but I'd appreciate some advice from the knowledgeable folk on here. I've noticed a slight raising of the action on my Custom 22 over the last month or so as the heating at home has been used. I'm assuming that the turn is to tighten the TR? If facing the TR from the top of the headstock, which way should I turn it? I assume clockwise (righty-tighty) but would like it confirmed before trying it. Do I loosen the strings first? If so, do I then re-tune instantly or wait for it to settle overnight first? Will I need to re-intonate or reset bridge height as a result? Thanks in advance, and I hope I'm not the only one wondering about this.

I’ll tell you how I came up with an easy way to remember which way to turn the truss rod cover - I found a web page and bookmarked it. :p Seriously, I could never remember which way to turn it, so I saved the page. Plus I have at least one guitar where the adjustment is done at the body end of the neck, so I always have to review.

As for the rest of it, I don’t loosen the strings. I retune right away. There’s a general consensus that the neck can take some time to fully settle, but w/my PRSi, it’s usually adjust once, maybe twice, and done. I don’t think I’ve ever adjusted intonation after just a truss rod adjustment, and never the bridge. Or, I should say I’ve never adjusted the bridge because I’ve adjusted the truss rod.

The biggest key is to go slow. About a quarter of a turn, then test it. Play it for five or ten minutes, then another small adjustment if necessary.

Don't think the pros here got to a couple of Southwest's questions (I might be interested too :))

In the video kindly posted by @Serious Poo the PRS guy explains it might need intonation and it will need retuning. He didn't take tension off the strings before making the adjustment (@alantig confirms this) or change the bridge height. So that is the way I intend to go, though I will need to order a capo and feeler gauge to try it.

Last edited:
In the video kindly posted by @Serious Poo the PRS guy explains it might need intonation and it will need retuning. He didn't take tension off the strings before making the adjustment (@alantig confirms this) or change the bridge height. So that is the way I intend to go, though I will need to order a capo and feeler gauge to try it.

If it helps any, I may sometimes relax the string tension when adjusting intonation if I know I need to move the bridge saddles a lot. For example I just set up Chelsea Hotelecaster #12 this afternoon and I had to move the bridge saddles quite a bit in order to get the intonation & string height exactly the way I like it. I loosened the strings quite a bit during setup so that the bridge tray wouldn't get marked up when the bridge saddles moved. Also, FWIW I generally don't use capos or gauges, I tend to go by feel as each guitar can be very different form each other.

Last edited:

A pencil and a rubber band or one of those black hair tie things works well as a capo in a pinch and lots of things can be used as a gauge but about any auto parts or tool supply has feeler guages.

First, great thread...couple little dumb things...all (well, almost all...) guitars basses have Truss rods...(Modulus, most graphite necks (Even PRS) have exceptions.)
But getting it to "Pop" the first time (Insert childish joke here...) can be a bit nerve wracking, but so worth it. As always, especially with PRS guitars...
they adjust wonderfully with the slightest movement, so don't be afraid to do it yourself. (but as previously stated, just a little at a time...1/4 turn really does do magic!!!)

What I wasn't supposed to tighten it down? It looked loose! Just kidding.

One thing to note on a PRS (at least on mine) is the threads show in the truss nut cavity. I checked them all after adjusting the Santana as I'd never seen truss threads exposed. I realize now this is the double action truss rod at play.

I recently did a 1\4 looser on my SE Camo as the action was low, and 1\4 turn tight on the SE Santana because it was a tad high. Both results were excellent.

As far as truss rods go, my Alembic has two truss rods that adjust at the body, one for bass strings and one for treble strings.

Conversely my 42 Harmony Maestro has no truss rod, and is only used for slide guitar because, that action tho...

A pencil and a rubber band or one of those black hair tie things works well as a capo in a pinch and lots of things can be used as a gauge but about any auto parts or tool supply has feeler guages.

My little trick for a homemade .010" gauge was to cut a scrap of guitar string down to an inch or so and jam it into a pencil eraser.

My little trick for a homemade .010" gauge was to cut a scrap of guitar string down to an inch or so and jam it into a pencil eraser.

Make it a little longer and multiple strings to double as a capo... we'll call it a the carrot . Is that a carrott on your guitar or is it happy to see some maintenance???

Thank you espresso, act no 2 after lunch if this one didn't stink enough...

Last edited:
Back