String Gauge - What do you use?

Thomastik 12-53 flatwounds for AT, Elixir Nano 10-46 for others. Considering to go down to 9.5 set though.

Usually Ernie Ball 10-52, good tone and they don't break (I had heaps of issues with DRs). I'm finding on the NF3 (slightly longer scale) that they're too heavy and don't like the feel, so will prob drop back to a 9-46 for that one. I tend to like the "hybrid" sets, with heavier bottoms and lighter tops.

Complete opposite to how I like my... beer glasses...

Always was a 9's guy.....until I tried hybrids

Elixir 9-46's are my go to for everything except low tunings....then 10-52's

Pyramid 11-48 Nickel Classics ... sound fantastic, feel great & last twice as long as anything else.

I have been using 11-56 for Eb/Drop C#, And 12-60 for D standard/drop C. D'addario's

D'Addario EXL110 (10-46). I find 9s easier to play since I have smaller hands, but like the slightly beefier tone from 10s. I'm still playing around with various flatwounds for the HB with a piezo.

Elixir Nanoweb light 10-46 on all Electrics and Elixir Nanoweb Custom Light Acoustic on acoustics.
Great tone, lasts longer and don't break as much as other makes.

Earnie Ball Cobalts 9 - 42. I have used the D'Addario NY XL, same size, and they are good too.

I was a 10 guy until recently. I started having "sensitive" fingertips back in December. Fingertips started hurting after playing a short time. Sensitive to the touch too, and felt like I had no oils left in them. At any rate, I recently picked up a set of Rev. Willy's Mexican Lottery Brand 7-38. I figure if they're good enough for the Reverend Billy G, they're way more than good enough for me. I like 'em, and my fingertips like 'em too! I just ordered a couple of sets of NYXL 8-3 just because I haven't tried the NYXL's yet.

Back