String Gauge - What do you use?

Ernie Ball M-Steel's 10-46 in E 10-52- in E-flat on all my 6's, 9.5 to 64 on my 26.5 Seven's and Cobalt 10-56 on my standard scale 7's

I was a 10 guy until recently. I started having "sensitive" fingertips back in December. Fingertips started hurting after playing a short time. Sensitive to the touch too, and felt like I had no oils left in them. At any rate, I recently picked up a set of Rev. Willy's Mexican Lottery Brand 7-38. I figure if they're good enough for the Reverend Billy G, they're way more than good enough for me. I like 'em, and my fingertips like 'em too! I just ordered a couple of sets of NYXL 8-3 just because I haven't tried the NYXL's yet.
I read about a guy who had a sensitivity to nickel -- you may want to try different materials and be aware of what you're playing, if for no other reason than to rule that out as a possibility.

I was a 10 guy until recently. I started having "sensitive" fingertips back in December. Fingertips started hurting after playing a short time. Sensitive to the touch too, and felt like I had no oils left in them. At any rate, I recently picked up a set of Rev. Willy's Mexican Lottery Brand 7-38. I figure if they're good enough for the Reverend Billy G, they're way more than good enough for me. I like 'em, and my fingertips like 'em too! I just ordered a couple of sets of NYXL 8-3 just because I haven't tried the NYXL's yet.
7's? Wow. Must feel like spider webs, compared to 10's!!!

EB Cobalt 10-46 for my standard and slightly down tuned (1-1.5 step down), 12-56 for my c# tuned guitar.

8's or 8.5's or 9's depending on the guitar. Tension, vibe and tone tell me what gauge is the best for each instrument.

The Bible says we have to play TENS.
fvyagg.jpg

For it is written: "Whomsoever among you that shall go forth and play the electric guitar, he shall only play tens. Now if thou obey me fully and keep my covenant and play only tens, then of all nations thine will be the most toneful. Thus saith the Lord."

Exodus, 3.1,287,565

Last edited:
fvyagg.jpg

For it is written: "Whomsoever among you that shall go forth and play the electric guitar, he shall only play tens. Now if thou obey me fully and keep my covenant and play only tens, then of all nations thine will be the most toneful. Thus saith the Lord."

Exodus, 3.1,287,565
Amen.

fvyagg.jpg

Exodus, 3.1,287,565

This is true...I saw a quote on the internet...:confused:

Depends on the what the guitar tells me it wants. The DGT, 11-52. SC245, 9-46. The Modern Eagle, nothing less than 10's, or it won't stay in tune. The rest, 10-46's.

I use Ernie Ball 9's on my Std 22. Oddly enough, tuning on the PRS was really squirrely with 10's. 9' seem to be more stable on it. Go figure

I use 12's (Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky 12-58) on my Tremonti Custom. They sound phenomenal and surprising still feel quite easy on my fingers.

Back