Spoof of that Gibson video

Glenn Fricker and Henning Pauly also did a spoof of the G video as well. [Warning: NSFW language]

I did enjoy this. Henning Pauly has a great youtube channel - even if I don't ALWAYS agree with his opinion, I really do enjoy his approach and humour to his videos. I think this hits much closer to the mark than many other video's on the subject. It also shows that whoever wrote the script has little understanding of the way trademarks and copyright works - especially on TV/Film. The reason headstocks are taped over is becaise Gibson didn't pay for product placement, didn't pay for their guitars to be advertised in the programme. Another aspect, at least here in the UK, is that you can make a direct clone of a guitar, inc the name and shape, but just cannot sell it (making money on someone elses trademark). If you buy a fake 'Chibson' from China, you cannot then sell that Chibson. Gibson were NOT the first to use a book opening headstock or the Single Cut shape (already tried that approach against PRS and LOST) - just look at this Merle Travis Bigsby guitar...

3363713701_4ee590eda8.jpg

This was a couple of years before the Gibson Les Paul and, if you look at the headstock, that's very much like the Fender Strat...

I like Gibson and it was a Les Paul that inspired me to pick up a guitar and play. My first Guitar was an Epiphone LP Custom with the Gibson Headstock and split diamond inlay too. If Gibson made Les Pauls to the quality, fit/finish etc that my PRS 594 is made to, I would happily spend a several thousands £'s on one to add into my collection - but even the Custom shop re-issues are not quite as 'perfect' yet cost more than my core 594. In my opinion, the only issue I have is that their QC isn't up to the standard it should be for that money and that they are relying on their heritage to sell guitars at the price they do. That too was the main point in that Gibson video before it went off the rails. Buy Gibson because they are the ones that made the Guitars that were used by artists that made many want to be a guitarist - the 'original' rock machine.

What also bugged me was the talk of 'innovation'. Granted the robot tuners were a mistake - even if the sentiment and idea was right but the coil splitting, phase switching and even the option to pick whether you want a proper split humbucker or a tapped humbucker with the dip switches were quite innovative for a Gibson. I never played a HP Gibson with the better access heel joint and Titanium Nut, even that Richlite (if that's what its called) that is supposed to be like playing on an Ebony fretboard were quite modern approaches (with CITES too), but their target consumer wants a 50's/60's guitar with no modern appointments inc locking tuners and weight relief - even if the 3 positions of a 'Traditional' Les Paul are still available and still sounded like a Les Paul. Another thing that bugged me is that a lot of people were not able to cope with the traditional Les Paul as it was back in the 50s/60s with just the 3 positions and no weight relief being called the 'Traditional' and not the 'Standard' - the Standard has to be the 'traditional'. That's getting off topic but it bugs me that they are contradicting themselves by saying 'play authentic' as in the original guitar and brand, and then saying they 'innovate' when basically everything innovative hasn't really stuck and its not what potential Gibson buyers seem to want either.

I am not going to lie, and if money (and space because my apartment is small) were not an issue, I would own a Les Paul and maybe a 335 too - not a V or explorer though. Of all the 'big' brands (being in the UK that means 'global' brands and not just the top 3 US brands) Gibson would be my 2nd favourite (obviously PRS are top) because it was the brand and image, the guitar that my hero played that inspired me to become a Guitarist. However, watching that video really lowered my opinion of the brand and, if I was looking for a different LP to my 594, I don't think it would be 'Gibson' right now - Obviously I would love to add a semi-hollow and hollow 594 but I think I would go for a PRS SC594 or the Eastman LP - probably more the Eastman just to have something more different - point is, I don't think it would be Gibson right now...

Love the spoofs. But dang, the more I watch that G vid, the more cringeworthy it becomes. In the Dovydas spoof, he doesn't think it starts out too bad, but after watching it several times, I'm going to politely disagree. The tone and arrogance from the PR spokesperson is there from the very beginning, but I think it gets lost in the overall tone of the message itself.

The best thing about all this is how everyone forgot Gibson owned brands that made that Hendrix thing and the Valley Arts Brent Mason guitar.

The only two positive things that I've heard from all the reaction videos (and there are a TON of them) are when people mentioned about when G tried to take PRS to court over the Singlecut and got humiliated in court and how people also mention that G just made them want to go buy a PRS just to prove the point.

Last edited:
Boy i loved picking up my 594 after that horrible display of arrogance and ignorance. I felt a lot better after running though a few paces on my 594. All the innovation PRS did on all singlecut models, they are different guitars and better guitars, they are PRS guitars.

It's pretty obvious that Gibson was attempting to play up their supposed exclusivity and history, that's fine, some of those gits go for 6 large and aren't even considered Private anything. They went off the rails with the Rock corporate guy with Chucks suddenly turning into a mild Darth Vader with unveiled threats. It's no wonder it was pulled. This entire video is emblematic of Gibson's, "hey, here's a great idea", that ended up at the back of the R&D closet...

Whatever their intent was by making that video, it's pretty much established that their "comeback" and any hope for bringing customers back to their table just got flushed down the crapper.

I think it goes without saying that anyone who is a PRS devotee (such as myself) is beyond ecstatic that we invest in a company and product that doesn't need to do any damage control. Taping up headstocks is like putting a bag over your head because you're embarrassed to be seen out in public with a product from a company whose reputation is shot beyond repair.

I just want the best possible instrument to play. It helps if it looks fantastic. I’m there. The expensive G guitars got sold years ago.

They complain about taping the headstock, but won't allow artists or filmakers to use their logo without some Guidas.. that's not authentic, it's a corporate legal choice.

Back