Interesting comparison of Humbucker vs P90 tone from 1973

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Old video of Foghat from the Midnight Special doing the Muddy Waters and Rolling Stones classic, I Just Want To make Love To You.

1973. FIFTY YEARS AGO!

Lonesome Dave is on a late 50's Les Paul Jr. like Leslie West played in Mountain. One 50's P90 in the bridge position. I used to love those Les Paul Jr's.

Rod Price is on a 60's Gibson SG with humbuckers.

What I found interesting is how similar the two guitars sound.

Last edited:
RIP Lonesome Dave Peverett & Rod Price. One of the greatest guitar duos to have ever graced the stage. AND Foghat was the greatest boogie band to ever criss-cross this land. FIGHT ME!

They definitely favored Gibbies most of the time, and knew how to get great tones.

I had a V4 stack like that back in the later 70s. No master volume… just loud, loud, loud. You could do that back then!

Foghat was an awesome band, great summertime rock and roll. RIP guys
Yeah, I liked them. I liked Savoy Brown too.

I'm still a British Blues fan: John Mayall, Peter Green, Eric Clapton...

Love that Gibson through a Marshall tone, although these days it's one of my PRS Bernie Marsdens through a HDRX 20 and 1:12 Matchless cab.

Last edited:
So many great Soapy artists over the years .. humbuckers are ok , but I'll always take a Soapy

Such fond memories! I remember like yesterday getting a dynamite 8 for Xmas one year and my very first 8 track tape was Foghat :cool: I loved that thing! Such simple times..

Charles

1973 was a very good year.
In many ways '73 was the transition year from the 60's to the 70's. It began with troops still in Vietnam, minimal knowledge of Watergate, low inflation with cheap oil and gas. All those were history by the end of the year. Zep and the Stones ruled. Disco and Van Halen existed but locally.

Some great times during all those changes though!

And P90s are awesome every year.

In many ways '73 was the transition year from the 60's to the 70's. It began with troops still in Vietnam, minimal knowledge of Watergate, low inflation with cheap oil and gas. All those were history by the end of the year. Zep and the Stones ruled. Disco and Van Halen existed but locally.

Some great times during all those changes though!

And P90s are awesome every year.
1973 saw the Arab oil embargo and the start of ceazy inflation, and other economic disasters.

It was a terrible year for the economy, but I was still in school so felt insulated. Still, we lived through it and survived.

The next year I was offered a law job that paid the then-staggering sum of $15,000 per year. I thought I was a millionaire! ;)

RIP Lonesome Dave Peverett & Rod Price. One of the greatest guitar duos to have ever graced the stage. AND Foghat was the greatest boogie band to ever criss-cross this land. FIGHT ME!

They definitely favored Gibbies most of the time, and knew how to get great tones.
I got to see them once in their heyday and about 15 years ago after Rod and Dave were gone. I think I liked Savoy Brown just a little bit better, but they both defined the genre.
It’s hard to tell the difference between them on this recording but Rod always sounded a bit more toppy, what with the SG being naturally brighter, but they are pretty close!

I had my 50th HS reunion this year ... '73 was memorable for me , I won the Far West Ski Championship and went to the Nationals where I placed 9th for Biathlon. Was able to pull off a 4:40 mile in track .. .. ah youth $5 concerts at Winterland every weekend ... I saw every band that was touring .. my uncle worked there .. :)

I had my 50th HS reunion this year ... '73 was memorable for me , I won the Far West Ski Championship and went to the Nationals where I placed 9th for Biathlon. Was able to pull off a 4:40 mile in track .. .. ah youth $5 concerts at Winterland every weekend ... I saw every band that was touring .. my uncle worked there .. :)
That would have been awesome. Did you get to see Mike Bloomfield?

yes , Tommy Bolin , Savoy Brown, Traffic, Quicksilver, The Airplane, the Dead, Mahavishnu, Journey's 1st performance was opening for them ..and Carlos joined in ... , Mahogany Rush , Trower, Skynrd's 1st Show there when they were 2nd bill to the Outlaws, Marshall Tucker , Johnny Winter, Steve Marriot, Humble Pie , Frampton , Camel, .....for Music ..in the San Francisco area it was a magic time

yes , Tommy Bolin , Savoy Brown, Traffic, Quicksilver, The Airplane, the Dead, Mahavishnu, Journey's 1st performance was opening for them ..and Carlos joined in ... , Mahogany Rush , Trower, Skynrd's 1st Show there when they were 2nd bill to the Outlaws, Marshall Tucker , Johnny Winter, Steve Marriot, Humble Pie , Frampton , Camel, .....for Music ..in the San Francisco area it was a magic time
Indeed. Was it the same Peter Frampton show that was recorded for Comes Alive?

Back