speaker swap

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I have a prs 1x12 cab and I'm not bonding with the vintage 30. I think I may try a celestion greenback but I thought I would ask here for advise before I do.

Anybody have good luck with a different speaker in their prs 1x12 cab?

Thanks

Depends upon the target tone and feel. Old 25w Greenbacks didn't light my fire solo, but group them together in a big cab and POW!

I have a prs 1x12 cab and I'm not bonding with the vintage 30. I think I may try a celestion greenback but I thought I would ask here for advise before I do.

Anybody have good luck with a different speaker in their prs 1x12 cab?

Thanks
It's not a cab, but I put a Scumbuck J75 in my HXDA 30w combo. It's not as harsh as the V30 that was in there.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I recently paired my Archon with a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cab (2 GBE 1240-V75 speakers) after I had previously paired it with a Boogie 2x12 with V30s. I like the tone much better with the Genz Benz (and I'm a V30 fan).

Just like anything, take stock of what it is you don't like with the current piece of gear. Research to find the new piece that will move things in the direction you want.

Couple things to remember for speakers:
Match your ohms
Make sure the speaker wattage is rated high enough to handle the amps you're going to use with it. V30 is 60 watt, while the Greenback is only 25.

I'd like to try one the new Fane alnico 60 Watt speakers with my DG30, but haven't done it yet, so can't make a recommendation.

If you have a 2x12 cab make sure the db rating on each speaker is really close if not the same.

I wanted to avoid "Celestion-colouring" a power amp-switchable head I just got, so I got a Yamaha 1x12 cab with a 150w Eminence Legend 1218 12". I haven't had it long but I'm really impressed by how the speaker renders clean tones, and it still sounds good when I crank it up. Almost like an American voicing clean but gets a little British when the amp breaks up. I think the Eminence speaker by itself goes for about $80.

Last edited:

I don't like most 1x12s, even when they're loaded with my favourite speaker. Spent some money trying to make them sound better, then I bought a 2x12. Problem solved.

I don't like most 1x12s, even when they're loaded with my favourite speaker. Spent some money trying to make them sound better, then I bought a 2x12. Problem solved.

I've always been a 4×12 kind of guy. The 1×12 format may not be for me.

I find this cab to be really harsh and NOT warm at all. I'm trying to explore new tones but I've been very disappointed so far. I'm just wondering if a 1x12 will always fall short?

I seem to have become a 4x10 kind of guy, myself. Need to do some speaker swapping.

I find this cab to be really harsh and NOT warm at all. I'm trying to explore new tones but I've been very disappointed so far. I'm just wondering if a 1x12 will always fall short?

How many hours have you put on the speaker? I've broken in a bunch of different cabs over the years and I find that they can be kind of stiff and congested until you get them to loosen up (typically around 5-10 hours of moderately loud playing).

As for the 1x12 always falling short... it's hard to say and rather personal. I really disliked my 1x12s on their own but they sounded great in a band mix where all you're going to pick out is the midrange anyway.

On the other hand, I have a 1x12 cab that I like... but it's the same size as a 2x12. Not surprisingly, it sounds bigger, deeper, and isn't as boxy as the smaller 1x12s I had before. But given the choice I'd still rather use a 2x12 or 4x12.

The prs cab I have is a little bigger and at first glance looks like a 2×12 but is is a 1x12. It just has this abrasive hollow sound. It is used so it should have enough break in time. I'm really wanting to like it and it's light so that helps.

I'll have to research it then decide I guess.

The prs cab I have is a little bigger and at first glance looks like a 2×12 but is is a 1x12. It just has this abrasive hollow sound. It is used so it should have enough break in time. I'm really wanting to like it and it's light so that helps.

I'll have to research it then decide I guess.

Hit up DreamTheaterRules. IIRC he had the same lack of love for his 1x12 cab. I can't find the thread, and I can't remember what his fix was.

This was my experience, too. That is, until I moved to my PRS rig. The pine 2x12 matched perfectly with the Super Dallas and sounded exactly as I wanted but playing mostly small bars, I was destroying people. Going down in speaker count was essential and I went thru numerous cabs and speakers. Logic dictating, I ended up going for a PRS pine 1x12 cab, also with a V30. Though it's not exactly the same as the 2x12, it is smaller, lighter, less SPL, and sounds good. And in the mix, it cuts better than any other cab/speaker combination I tried.

Now, I will admit, if I'm just sitting in front of the amp and playing for me, I prefer my Nerby 1x12 with a WGS ET65. Warmer, smoother, much more pleasing to my ear. And it took a while for my single V30 to fully break in (and I bought it used from a buddy that had been gigging it, so bear that in mind).

Last edited:
Vintage 30's are harsh, but they pair well with greenbacks..alone, not a good full range speaker. The warehouse et-65 is a nice speaker alone, much like the celestion g12-65 It's based on. Which ever speaker you decide on, you need to understand that a break-in period of about 40 hours is needed, before you really know how it's going to finally sound. I play a lot of different styles of music, both clean and with effects, and I find that in a 1x12 cab, the et-65, and/or the g12-65, gives a balanced tone, across the board. 2x12's and 4x12's...well that is a whole other conversation! Oh, I almost forgot: I use a PRS 2 channel head with a small 80's era Marshall JCM speaker cab loaded with the original g12-65's that came in it, when I bought in new, way back when...yeah, I'm an old guy, and I still play out!

yeah, I'm an old guy, and I still play out!

It takes a Mighty Man to play out having reached...uh..."prime" of life. ;)

BTW, I like V-30s...I don't really find them harsh once they're broken in. But...I am going to try a set of the new Fane Alnico 60 Watt speakers soon. I really like the sound in clips.

Back