So, you're going on vacation for a week, do you

Depends on where and mode of transportation... Flying to some place that'll take up a good amount of time, no way, but driving to some place where there'll be a little free time, sure, so long as there's room for the guitar.

Yes, or buy one while I'm there and ship it home. Of course, I rarely go anywhere!
During my the last long vacation, we stayed at the Memphis Westin. It was across from the Gibson Custom Shop. The Westin had a case of CS Gibsons in the lobby which you could take to your room for as long as you liked and use with a line 6 pod and headphones. That was a great solution to the problem!

I have brought them before but it usually turned out to be too much hassle. I am quite familiar with acquiring one along the way, however. I normally research the local dealers before I leave.

Depends where, how long, and your situation.
I've been working hard on improv skills for the last 60 days and need a break from it, if I were going on vacation, it would be from everything. Then again, if you're going to a tropic destination go snorkeling or fishing for yellowfin tuna, your guitar and your chops will be there when you get back.

Obviously, I do.

If I'm going on a real vacation, I only need to pack a swimsuit, so there's tons of room for a guitar.

Last edited:
Depends on where to. I've gone to the Keys and Naples a few times with a guitar and it was productive. But now, no thanks. I can find other ways to get in trouble. I went to Romania in late December/early January - no music stores :eek:

Well...it was 3 weeks in Hawaii in January but an advance search on Craigslist yielded the acoustic shown below. A Hummingbird copy. Cheap and and was sure nice to have during our stay. Put new strings on it and it actually was a darn good sounding guitar! It lives with friends on the Big Is now. Any Forum members visiting are welcome to borrow it when on Island.

18105138584_bb1b91cf71_z.jpg

Yes, or buy one while I'm there and ship it home. Of course, I rarely go anywhere!
During my the last long vacation, we stayed at the Memphis Westin. It was across from the Gibson Custom Shop. The Westin had a case of CS Gibsons in the lobby which you could take to your room for as long as you liked and use with a line 6 pod and headphones. That was a great solution to the problem!

Hmm, that's pretty cool. The GF and I were thinking about riding back down to NC to ride some of the roads I missed last time. Sounds like it might be a cool place to stay on the way down, or back up :)

Well...it was 3 weeks in Hawaii in January but an advance search on Craigslist yielded the acoustic shown below. A Hummingbird copy. Cheap and and was sure nice to have during our stay. Put new strings on it and it actually was a darn good sounding guitar! It lives with friends on the Big Is now. Any Forum members visiting are welcome to borrow it when on Island.

18105138584_bb1b91cf71_z.jpg

Dude! I love these! An old roommate of mine had an Ibanez "Everly" acoustic and it was a great guitar.

I find that a break from the guitar every now and then does more for my playing than practicing every day. It is almost as if my mind gets time to absorb it all and gets the fingers aligned. I use holidays for this "break from playing" so the guitar stays home. I do miss my DGT the 2nd morning though...

I most likely wouldn't take one with me. When I go on a vacation like that I like to find unusual and interesting things to do. I DO keep my eyes open for new guitars 24/7/365, that never changes.

Depends on how long and where. If its the tropics, I usually bring a guitar (but play much less than when I am at home). Something about sitting under a coconut palm tree with a cocktail and playing a guitar.:cool:

Dude! I love these! An old roommate of mine had an Ibanez "Everly" acoustic and it was a great guitar.

This one surprised the hell out of me. Really rich sound. And the fact that it was a '77 with flowers and butterflies on the pickguard - bonus! Just begging to get played under said palm tree with said cocktail near at hand

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and I intend to take a guitar. Had originally figured on taking my acoustic and using it to noodle on the porch of the mountain cabin we are staying in, but the closer we get the more I think I am going to take my electric and my computer and work on some of the tracks we have been recording - I'm hoping the clean mountain air and quiet will inspire me to tighten up some of the solos and other bits, or at least have some alternate takes to share with the other guys.

True story....seriously.
In the mid 80's, I was driving to Ohio from Florida in my '79 RX7. It was about 11:30 at night going up the Florida Turnpike. I had my then 12 year old step-brother with me, I was 19. I had a 7 UP green Strat in the car with me, and a Rockman headphone amp. I was driving with my knee, playing the Strat with the headstock out the driver's window, going roughly 90 mph. I went over an overpass, and a FHP car was in the median. He flipped his lights on, and started after me. I slowed down, handed the guitar to my brother, and told him to pretend he was playing it. The trooper sent me off with a ticket for going 65 (speed limit was 55 back then), even though he clocked me at 88. I swore I'd never bring another guitar on a trip again.......
and yes, I realize how stupid I was for endangering my brother that way...I was young and stupid. Now I'm just stupid.

Back