Do you take your git with you on vacation?

Do you take your git with you on vacation?

• Wow! I never thought of that…

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well I will now!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some developers find solace in the thought of fixing that one bug or implementing a new feature while sipping a cocktail by the beach. It's like a coding retreat, right?
But on the flip side, a vacation is a precious opportunity to unplug, unwind, and recharge. It's a chance to explore new places, savor delicious cuisines, and create lasting memories with friends and family.
Now, about those vacations, I recently discovered some exciting cruise options departing from Los Angeles at https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-los-angeles-california.html. As for me, cruises offer a fantastic blend of relaxation and adventure, allowing you to explore different destinations while enjoying luxurious amenities on board.

Last edited:
I only took my guitar to one family reunion. It was my grandfather’s family. Beer an whisky drinking farmers and local yokels. I had my 3 piece band with me. It was the early 70s and we had only been playing for a year or so. We knew “our songs” but not much else. One of the uncles was WAY drunk and wanted to sing. We didn’t know his song and tried hard to discourage him, but he wouldn’t be dissuaded. We played one song while he sang another in a different key. It was soooo bad…. I’ve never taken my guitar to another reunion. In fact, I never went back to that reunion.
I totally get that. This past Labor Day weekend is an annual family gathering on my wife's side. I was begged to play and sing so I put together a song list for about an hour or so's play before the fireworks at nightfall. Naturally as you said, certain over-consumption of various beverages removed inhibitions. Despite my pleas to family members (that should NOT EVER sing in public no matter what the occasion) to not come join me a certain bunch decided they had to be part of my makeshift stage on the grass. Obviously I was more concerned with the chances of drunken fools tripping over cables and power cords but to have them yelling and screaming in my ears totally off key and off beat was enough additional aggravation to piss me off totally. I had to threaten a very drunk sister-in-law with physical punitive action before she finally went away in a huff. Seriously, her singing would make a priest cry on Sunday morning Christmas day! But I was more concerned about my equipment than what she and her accompanying trio sounded like. I know she wouldn't have had a few spare green G notes in her pocket to replace a broken git fiddle (my cherished HBII) or an amp or two. But thankfully it all sorted out and things went better after a bit. I was in the doghouse for my threatened actions but her ensuing silence and not having her speak to me for the remainder of the night and weekend was worth it haha.

I totally get that. This past Labor Day weekend is an annual family gathering on my wife's side. I was begged to play and sing so I put together a song list for about an hour or so's play before the fireworks at nightfall. Naturally as you said, certain over-consumption of various beverages removed inhibitions. Despite my pleas to family members (that should NOT EVER sing in public no matter what the occasion) to not come join me a certain bunch decided they had to be part of my makeshift stage on the grass. Obviously I was more concerned with the chances of drunken fools tripping over cables and power cords but to have them yelling and screaming in my ears totally off key and off beat was enough additional aggravation to piss me off totally. I had to threaten a very drunk sister-in-law with physical punitive action before she finally went away in a huff. Seriously, her singing would make a priest cry on Sunday morning Christmas day! But I was more concerned about my equipment than what she and her accompanying trio sounded like. I know she wouldn't have had a few spare green G notes in her pocket to replace a broken git fiddle (my cherished HBII) or an amp or two. But thankfully it all sorted out and things went better after a bit. I was in the doghouse for my threatened actions but her ensuing silence and not having her speak to me for the remainder of the night and weekend was worth it haha.
Family…
What are you gonna do…

Just yesterday, I passed along nearly $1000 to a step sister that I’ve only met less that 1/2 dozen times as my part of travel and cremation expenses for our father’s demise. It was almost a year since I asked her to show me what was spent so I could give my share, and now, when she’s having drastic marital issues (of her own doing) she wants the money post haste. Still no indication of what was spent. I handed her a slip for her to sign as proof that she received the money, explaining that I wouldn’t give anyone that kind of money without a signature, and she went OFF…. I threatened to leave with the money. She signed, took the money, still b!tc4!ng, climbed in her vehicle and left. No thank you; no kiss my —-, nothing.

And for the purists on the forum; I love my modded SE Custom 24.

Feel for you man. Life is hard enough at times without having to deal with someone's doofus attitudes.
Chin up, you got this!
I have never "modded" a guitar. I just can't get involved that deep. If I was a constantly gigging player, I'd think differently I expect. But I do love my SE's too. They are all I need (so far).

Feel for you man. Life is hard enough at times without having to deal with someone's doofus attitudes.
Chin up, you got this!
I have never "modded" a guitar. I just can't get involved that deep. If I was a constantly gigging player, I'd think differently I expect. But I do love my SE's too. They are all I need (so far).
They are incredibly good guitars.

I always take my Hollowbody Spruce with me. It’s light as a feather (just over 4lbs) and is the perfect volume for private playing… like at a campground, no one else can hear me play. I sling it in an SE gig bag …. It’s the perfect travel guitar.
Although lately I’ve taken the little Yamaha THR amp with me, I end up never using it. I Just play the Sprucie acoustically.

I always take my Hollowbody Spruce with me. It’s light as a feather (just over 4lbs) and is the perfect volume for private playing… like at a campground, no one else can hear me play. I sling it in an SE gig bag …. It’s the perfect travel guitar.
Although lately I’ve taken the little Yamaha THR amp with me, I end up never using it. I Just play the Sprucie acoustically.

Something magical about private guitar time.

I have a little carry-on kit made up of a Steinberger, a Positive Grid micro amp (formerly a POD mini) and a set of headphones that I'll take with me if we're flying out somewhere for more than a couple days... Unless we're staying at a Hard Rock; I love the fact that you get loaner guitars and multiFX pedals there (I'll use my own headphones, thx)... I'll take an acoustic with me whenever we go camping, cottaging, etc. by car (summer stuff)...

As a couple of others have mentioned, if I'm driving I'll take it. If flying, I don't bother. I hardly ever take an amp though. I just play my electric unplugged to keep the fingers nimble and moving.

I only take mine travelling ground based. In the trailer I can take an amp, but will usually play my HBII acoustically. I take it with me every time I go to the track for evening downtime after the race days are over. Great way to decompress after the adrenaline rush of the day. I take an acoustic to on occasion. And my pit neighbors are always up for a few tunes if the outside weather is permissible. I have yet to use an amp outside at the track though, and if I'm camping in a park I won't play outside with one, strictly indoors for noise limits. Got asked to play outside at a campground Canada Day thing a couple years ago but the weather went for serious crap so I didn't play at all at that.
I doubt I'd ever take a guitar on a plane trip.

I have a little headless made by that psychopath in Southern California that I take on trips. The gig bag is excellent. It needed $200 worth of fretwork cause it ain’t a PRS, but it is blue……..and I got a good deal used.

Taking your Git with you on vacation can be a great idea for coding on the go. It allows you to stay productive and keep your projects in check, even while you're away from your usual workspace. Just remember to back up your work before you embark on your vacation. This way, you won't risk losing any crucial data while you're on the road. Additionally, be mindful of data security, especially depending on your travel destination and the networks you'll be using. Consider using a VPN to protect your data from potential threats. f your travel plans include Santa Fe, be careful if your travel includes a stop in Santa Fe. Whether you're coding on the beach or in a cozy cabin, enjoy your coding and your vacation to the fullest!

Last edited:
Taking your Git with you on vacation can be a great idea for coding on the go. It allows you to stay productive and keep your projects in check, even while you're away from your usual workspace. Just remember to back up your work before you embark on your vacation. This way, you won't risk losing any crucial data while you're on the road.
99 bots on the board, 99 bots on the board, kick ‘em out, what it’s about, 98 bots on the board…:rolleyes:

Back