Do you take your git with you on vacation?

Do you take your git with you on vacation?

• Wow! I never thought of that…

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well I will now!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No.

Vacations are to "get away from it all".
You can't get away from "it all" if you take some of it with you.

I'll bring one if I'm visiting a friend who plays for a couple of days
but that's not a vacation, it's a visit with a friend.
Not the same thing.

My world, my rules.

:)

If I'm traveling to a destination with the toy-hauler absolutely. Obviously on the Goldwing that is all but impossible. Car with the missus is too small, but in my truck I sure do. Nice thing about the 5th wheel is I can take more than one guitar and an amp, and I can jam along with music background if I'm feeling saucy. :D I just got a Spider Mini for portability too if I'm in the boonies and have no power to plug-in. There's always unplugged acoustic options anyway, but I can take a solid body when I have power options.

I have, but rarely. And not in years. There have been times I've been tempted, but usually we're not anywhere long enough and we usually fill our days with various activities. Plus, if I take one, I'm afraid someone might ask me to play something and the truth will come out.

We're heading to a ski resort for Mother's Day (it's my wife's happy place, and our standard non-Experience year destination - yes, we've become the people we said we didn't want to be, going to the same places over and over). I've been tempted to take a guitar there because there's a hang glider takeoff point, and I thought it would be cool to play there for my own amusement. But usually the weather's too cold anyway.

ETA: It's more common for me to go with no guitars and come home with one. Oh, there have been two trips where I left with one and returned with two. Sometimes it's a wonder my wife lets me go to these places.

Otherwise, not on family vacations.
Your family must be less em, demanding than mine. First question I get when a gathering is planned "are you bringing a guitar?" It's sort of become a ritual necessity. Not that I mind really, I still get to have my fun with it anyway. Of course there's always that "why don't you know this song?":(

Your family must be less em, demanding than mine. First question I get when a gathering is planned "are you bringing a guitar?" It's sort of become a ritual necessity. Not that I mind really, I still get to have my fun with it anyway. Of course there's always that "why don't you know this song?":(
I only took my guitar to one family reunion. It was my grandfather’s family. Beer an whisky drinking farmers and local yokels. I had my 3 piece band with me. It was the early 70s and we had only been playing for a year or so. We knew “our songs” but not much else. One of the uncles was WAY drunk and wanted to sing. We didn’t know his song and tried hard to discourage him, but he wouldn’t be dissuaded. We played one song while he sang another in a different key. It was soooo bad…. I’ve never taken my guitar to another reunion. In fact, I never went back to that reunion.

It really depends on the type of trip. On a vacation, I may not, but for example I recently went to visit my parents (lots of down time) and then also did an open mic at a local bar. But then I went straight to another city to meet my wife and didn't play the guitar at all.

And it is always a travel guitar. I currently have the Traveler Escape Mark III and EG-1 Custom. They aren't expensive and are easy to stow in an overhead.

No. Vacation time for me is giving my undivided attention towards the family, the ones I'm making time to visit and spend time with. Besides, taking a break from the guitar can be good via not getting burnt out.

i have taken a beater once or twice but i have found it much more enjoyable to visit all the music stores at my destination.

I try not to if at all possible. Many times though, "vacation" involves seeing the in-laws and they always have some grand scheme of jamming or attempting to record something so it's usually requested I take one.

I was fortunate enough to have the opposite experience where I got to vacation while playing guitar for two weeks in Key West.

Just did a mini-vacation w/my wife, to her happy place. No guitar, but I did spend some time on one of these:

KISSproflyer.gif

Flippers were wonky, so I only managed #3 and #4 high score (as opposed to last October when I destroyed the game and had four of the top five, I believe).

But we did win the jigsaw puzzle contest and won a free night towards our next trip.

I have a Martin Backpacker which I will/do take anywhere. It serves the purpose, takes up little space, and makes me appreciate all of my other guitars that much more ;) If we aren't space constrained and environmental conditions won't be a concern, I'll bring along a "real" guitar. The key, for me, to travelling with a family AND a guitar is knowing when to pick your moments.

I'll take a guitar for an extended work trip over 2 weeks or travel to help an ailing family member. For trips helping family it's great to have your guitar for some "me time" after a long day of helping others.

Back