So You Wanna Be A Rock And Roll Star Dept.

And what a great time to grow up musically. Sound's, band's,innovation's and hendrix

You bet, though I was concentrating more on keyboards at the time, but then, too those late 60s times had Gregg Allman, Alan Price, Steve Winwood, Gary Brooker, Matthew Fisher, even McCartney...and that was before the big synth explosion and guys like Wakeman...

Then again, there was the matter of schlepping a Hammond around to gigs...

You bet, though I was concentrating more on keyboards at the time, but then, too those late 60s times had Gregg Allman, Alan Price, Steve Winwood, Gary Brooker, Matthew Fisher, even McCartney...and that was before the big synth explosion and guys like Wakeman...

Then again, there was the matter of schlepping a Hammond around to gigs...
You can never have enough Rick Wakeman..

Reactions: CVS
Just reading Greg Allman's book and he said that his Hammond weighed over 400 Lbs. I will never complain about my tube amps again.

Mine wasn't that heavy...some had bigger wooden frames and furniture stuff. But it did take 3 of us to move it around. We basically left it in the van between gigs. I'd guess it was more like 200-250 pounds.

That was without the speaker cabinet, of course.

Mine wasn't that heavy...some had bigger wooden frames and furniture stuff. But it did take 3 of us to move it around. We basically left it in the van between gigs. I'd guess it was more like 200-250 pounds.

That was without the speaker cabinet, of course.
Hope you never had to move that "beast" up a flight of stairs:D

Honestly, I don't remember. I also had a Hohner compact combo organ, like the one Zep used later on. That made it to a lot of gigs for obvious reasons.

Hey Dad, I just showed Mom how to play "Let It Be" and poop in my diaper at the same time!

I've seen that happen.. The worst was at this club The Mint in Hailey Idaho. These poor roadies had to move the darn thing four times in one night: Once up the stairs to the "regular" club for soundcheck, then down the stairs to the elevator for the "private" club show in the basement, then back up the stairs for the non-celebrity slob show, and then back down for load out.

I forgot the name of the dude we were supporting, but I'll never forget the looks on those roadies faces at the end of that night.

with 85/15s?

More like 1957-1s. LOL. Seriously, I played the accordion as a little guy. Was pretty good, too!

Turns out the accordion is a great instrument to learn both reading notes and pick up music theory on - because the buttons for the left hand do root bass notes, major, minor, seventh and diminished chords, in order to learn it, you almost automatically learn song structure and theory! Plus the right hand works like any keyboard, so you're reading both hands a little differently than you do with piano.

It's pretty cool, actually. Well, if you're into that sort of thing.

The reason I got one is that my older cousin got one, and when he took it out of its case to show me, I thought WOW! I was maybe 7 years old. His was red sparkle lacquer with his name in silver letters on the front. I thought that was awesome, back in 1957....

So my parents arranged for me to switch from piano, which I'd been taking lessons on since 4, to accordion. I wound up sticking with piano and organ as a teenager, until I took up guitar at 16-17 as a second instrument. We had a piano and a Hammond at home, plus I had a combo organ to use in my bands. So for that era, I was pretty hooked up with keyboards and stuff.

When my brother lost interest in guitar and got seriously into art, he gave me his '65 SG Special, that I used for an awfully long time.

Anyway, that's how I got into playing the accordion, and keyboards in general. And, uh, guitar. At one point, Pontiac had me do some recording in Europe, and one of the tracks they wanted was Zydeco. That was a lot of fun, because I got to record the accordion for my first and only time on an ad. The guys I recorded with lit lighters when I finished the accordion track. ;)

I've seen that happen.. The worst was at this club The Mint in Hailey Idaho. These poor roadies had to move the darn thing four times in one night: Once up the stairs to the "regular" club for soundcheck, then down the stairs to the elevator for the "private" club show in the basement, then back up the stairs for the non-celebrity slob show, and then back down for load out.

I forgot the name of the dude we were supporting, but I'll never forget the looks on those roadies faces at the end of that night.
If you were a roadie doing that kind of work, hopefully you start considering another career path. Glad I took up guitar (but I do love the sound of Hammond B-3's and just finished listening to a very recently made CD by Jeff Golub and Brian Auger where the Hammond is featured - I forgot how much I liked it)

Back