Silly question time

Pragmatist

British invasion
So after a long lay off i am back into my guitars and recently purchased a PRS custom 24 which out of the box seems to play beautifully however i'm no expert. Would it be good practice to have a professional set up? I know this is usually advised with most guitars but would you still do it even with a core brand new PRS?
Silly question over and thanks in advance,

Matty

So after a long lay off i am back into my guitars and recently purchased a PRS custom 24 which out of the box seems to play beautifully however i'm no expert. Would it be good practice to have a professional set up? I know this is usually advised with most guitars but would you still do it even with a core brand new PRS?
Silly question over and thanks in advance,

Matty
Nope.

And, congrats and welcome! (We need pics, being a very visual site, here)

'Playing beautifully' sounds good enough to me!

However its worth bearing in mind that no matter how nicely set up a guitar is before it leaves the factory, it will then likely be shipped hundreds or thousands of miles. That means spending many hours in various staging / collection depots, often overnight in cold temperatures.

Here in the uk, the last core Custom 24 I played (at Guitar Village Farnham) was definitely in need of a set up. I suspect it one reason it remained on stock so long. It certainly wasnt its looks that was at fault. It was one of the most beautiful quilt tops I had ever seen.

As has been said in some form or another above, PRSi do not need a set up when purchased new. However, there are two reasons you still may want to do it:

1. Something has happened during shipping (as mentioned above, but kind of rare).

2. It's just not set up the way you like.

Either way, if it's not thrilling you because of the set up, have it done to your liking. If you are just wondering, but not experiencing any issues, no. Just play the thing.

That’s a beauty! Congrats!!!

Of all the PRS I’ve bought, only one needed a set up when it was new, and that was the Artist V. Not sure what happened w/the neck, but when they pulled it off the wall for me to play, it was unplayable. They adjusted the truss rod and checked it all out, and it was a gem after that.

So, you've got the answer already. I've never had to do anything to any of mine when I bought them. The only exception might be, if you really want to switch string gauges and aren't comfortable even doing minor setup work to adjust for that. If not, leveling the bridge after every restring is the only thing I've ever done to any of mine. Even my 22 year old one.

If it plays & sounds great, no need, if it doesn't, a pro setup is a good thing, but ...

To be able to do your own setup is priceless, and you will get to understand your guitar in a much more intimate way if you master the skill.

Back