New PRS SE Silver Sky question

mickeyd53

I just purchased a SE Silver Sky with the Maple Fretboard. It seems to either have a very fine coating or none on the fretboard. I know on Rosewood and other dark type fretboards you usually condition the fretboard. I curious about the maple fretboard on my SE Silver Sky..How should the fretboard be maintained?
Also, I would like to restring the guitar with 9’s, however I don’t want to mess up the setup and the tremolo..they both seem perfect. What would I need to do as far as confirming the setup stays the same if I change the 10’s it comes with to 9’.
Thanks in advance.

Maple is typically just lacquered. The nut should be OK changing to 9’s but you may need to adjust the intonation.

Thank you. I’m ok with the intonation, that’s fairly easy to adjust. I’m concerned about the tremolo. I like the way it’s set now with it flat on the top of the guitar. I’ve never had to adjust those and all my other guitars are hardtails. Thanks for taking the time to respond.,.!

Thank you. I’m ok with the intonation, that’s fairly easy to adjust. I’m concerned about the tremolo. I like the way it’s set now with it flat on the top of the guitar. I’ve never had to adjust those and all my other guitars are hardtails. Thanks for taking the time to respond.,.!
Changing to lighter strings (like the 9's you want) reduces the upward tension on the tremolo, so it'll still stay flat on the body. You might notice a little more resistance when you use the bar, but I doubt anything major.

Changing to lighter strings (like the 9's you want) reduces the upward tension on the tremolo, so it'll still stay flat on the body. You might notice a little more resistance when you use the bar, but I doubt anything major.
Thanks for the response. That makes perfect sense…I should have thought about that. I haven’t had a guitar with a tremolo on it since my 20’s and I just don’t remember. That’s what happens when you get up there in age. Many thanks, Rock on….!

Only other thing you might notice if switching from 10s to 9s is that because there is less tension pulling the peg hed, you might notice some slight fret buzz. If you do, you can raise your saddles a tiny but until the fret buzz goes away, or perhaps loosen the truss rod a touch. But you might not notice anything at all.

Back