SE Mods

Is if PRS will make a solder-less set up like obsidian....... I would have all the fun switching out p/u
I hadn't heard of them, but they're doing what I had envisioned. This wire terminal thing is very much like what I had in mind, although, I would prefer it not be required to solder to a circuit board.

img-0796.jpg

After getting the wiring harness in, which was relatively easy compared to other semi-hollows I've worked on, I started soldering up the connections. Splicing like 8 wires together isn't very fun, it was tedious and time consuming.

oqR4wBI.jpg

XThGoYs.jpg

In the end, for the second time in the last couple months, the pickups are electrically out of phase. So, I have to fish out the wires and switch a couple of them, no biggie.

The 57/08 is both bright and mellow at the same time. It's pretty cool. The DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the neck is much brighter and more clear than the stock 58/15S, but also gives a full on Jazz-box sound. That's not something I would typically use, but it's kind of the nature of the guitar, and I only got to play a few songs on it at band practice since we're working on a new song using the baritone.

I hadn't heard of them, but they're doing what I had envisioned. This wire terminal thing is very much like what I had in mind, although, I would prefer it not be required to solder to a circuit board.

img-0796.jpg
Looks awesome. It took me 10 minutes to replace my old Stratocaster p/u, plate and pots, and switch with any soldering. Sounded great as well.

New here so please forgive if this has been asked elsewhere. I have a new CU22 Semi Hollow, have done the locking tuners and now I would like to do some upgrades to the trem, not ready to do a $200 Mann. Has anyone done any saddle upgrades? I am also looking to swap out many of the mounting screws with gold (loving the chrome/gold mix) anyone know if the SE use metric or imperial? Thanks

New here so please forgive if this has been asked elsewhere. I have a new CU22 Semi Hollow, have done the locking tuners and now I would like to do some upgrades to the trem, not ready to do a $200 Mann. Has anyone done any saddle upgrades? I am also looking to swap out many of the mounting screws with gold (loving the chrome/gold mix) anyone know if the SE use metric or imperial? Thanks

I was thinking about upgrading the saddles too (a bit cheaper than the entire thing). The allen keys on all the adjustment set screws appear to be metric, so I would assume everything on there should be metric.

I upgraded my S2 bridge, which has the same import of the SE, to a Mann bridge.

I was concerned with the import bridge because the saddles had spaces in between. I thought that the the PRS bridge was designed in such a way that the saddles are kept in place tightly within the walls of the bridge to keep tune. So, it bothered me.

I tried mixing saddles and PRS copy bridges and Graphtech saddles... but it still had a gap!

So, I decided to invest on a Mann... and it's perfect!

The Mann bridge on its own is a work of art! It was worth it!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well...... I guess I am just going to have to bite the bullet. Thanks for sharing

Yeah it's John Mann or it's not worth it. You can do the upgrade kit to get the mixed hardware look and save a few bucks.

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.co...t---PRS-CE-SE-S2-Bridges---Gold-x42807175.htm

That said, the stock bridge is an excellent piece of hardware. Having owned Mann 1-piece, Gen II, and Gen III bridges, I expected to dislike the molded version, but the bridge on my S2 works great. Zero complaints.

I upgraded my S2 bridge, which has the same sith SE, to a Mann bridge.

I was concerned with the import bridge because the saddles had spaces in between. I thought that the the PRS bridge was designed in such a way that the saddles are kept in place tightly within the walls of the bridge to keep tune. So, it bothered me.

I tried mixing saddles and PRS copy bridges and Graphtech saddles... but it still had a gap!

So, I decided to invest on a Mann... and it's perfect!

The Mann bridge on its own is a work of art! It was worth it!

Good luck!

That Mann trem is sex personified!

I am going to put it on the bench today and see if I can get some sizes. I will post my findings
Just be aware that changing the bridge will change the sound. I've changed the bridge on a couple of my SE's. because I wanted to change the sound. A couple of them are bone stock bridges because I love the sound of the guitar. As I repeatedly say, a change is not necessarily as upgrade, especially if you like the sound of the guitar.

Yeah it's John Mann or it's not worth it. You can do the upgrade kit to get the mixed hardware look and save a few bucks.

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.co...t---PRS-CE-SE-S2-Bridges---Gold-x42807175.htm

That said, the stock bridge is an excellent piece of hardware. Having owned Mann 1-piece, Gen II, and Gen III bridges, I expected to dislike the molded version, but the bridge on my S2 works great. Zero complaints.
I have a 93 CE24 and there is a marked difference in the bridge for sure

Finally got around to installing pup covers and US PRS jack plate on my Bernie. Cleaned up, fresh strings and polished while I was at it. Will be replacing the tuners with Gotoh locking vintage ones sometime. Just dead sexy guitar.

US jacks fit an SE?

Back