SE Mods

I have a Paul's SE with Gotoh locking tuners.I don't want to replace enithing on it perhabs the knobs.Pictures comes later, it's my firs post :D

I have a Paul's SE with Gotoh locking tuners.I don't want to replace enithing on it perhabs the knobs.Pictures comes later, it's my firs post :D
3gt9wzeuv7gbo7y5pqdo.jpg
ld72fjqenn1p1gcgvso1.jpg

New plan involving 2 SEs.

SE277 Baritone will get the stock neck pickup back and I'm going to put an Alnico 2 overwound Golden Age pickup in the bridge. By the way, they're on sale for $37-$38 and they sound great. I have a set in my Core CU22, the regular 8k/9k set of Golden Age pickups and am really happy with those. Last time they were on sale for $37 each I bought a set because hey, the set costs what a discounted new Duncan would cost and the reviews were great. Impressed, when they went on sale again, I bought another 8k/9k set for my P-Body Baritone project and threw in the overwound for my current baritone.

SE Hollowbody standard: gut and re-wire. Pre-TM 57/08 in the bridge, DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the neck, CTS pots, switchcraft switch, maybe a switchcraft output jack. Cuz hey, I just want to replace the neck pickup but that's almost as much work as replacing everything in a hollowbody.

The Golden Age sounds really good. The overall tone is not so different from the stock pickup, just a bit smoother. Makes me think I should reinstall the stock pickup but put an alnico 2 magnet in it.

However, the middle position has a cocked wah kind of sound. Very honkey, even moreso with the coils split. However, there's no significant volume drop. I was considering that maybe they were out of phase but they match up physically (screw coils and slug coils attract) so they should be in phase. I don't know enough about matching up pickups from different manufacturers and I can't seem to remember **** long enough to research it.

The Golden Age sounds really good. The overall tone is not so different from the stock pickup, just a bit smoother. Makes me think I should reinstall the stock pickup but put an alnico 2 magnet in it.

However, the middle position has a cocked wah kind of sound. Very honkey, even moreso with the coils split. However, there's no significant volume drop. I was considering that maybe they were out of phase but they match up physically (screw coils and slug coils attract) so they should be in phase. I don't know enough about matching up pickups from different manufacturers and I can't seem to remember **** long enough to research it.

Swap hot and ground on one of them and see what happens. They may be magnetically in phase but electrically out of phase.

Wild, all the guitar electronics work I've done over the last two decades and I've never run across electrically out of phase pickups. There's always something to learn. Thanks for the tip!

Recently bought a New Old Stock, black Prs se 245, already put all core clear knobs on it. Would need the Ivory rings, and they'd fit correct? Not sure if I want the Tremonti pups in there, or a neck 57/08 and a 59/09 in the bridge.

I wish I could find a vinyl headstock decal to cover the old 'SE 245' on the headstock.

Recently bought a New Old Stock, black Prs se 245, already put all core clear knobs on it. Would need the Ivory rings, and they'd fit correct? Not sure if I want the Tremonti pups in there, or a neck 57/08 and a 59/09 in the bridge.

I wish I could find a vinyl headstock decal to cover the old 'SE 245' on the headstock.
What’s wrong with SE headstock? Where did you get the all clear knobs from?

Bought them online, from amazon I think. I just love the newer, updated headstock with the sig on it.

I just posted a NGD post, but here's the one mod I had done on my new SE Santana Singlecut Trem. The SE locking tuners, and since I got it done at the same time I bought the guitar, only cost me $47 which seemed worth it. Black lampshades are the next thing to add to this one.

GBzgHNi.jpg

09a3c61a-4ad0-430b-adda-709568389b31-jpeg.760620

Uglification continues — some nice cheap white plastic plugs to fill holes where I moved switch & knobs around, and the PRS knobs replaced by gold Tele-style knurled knobs. Basically all my guitars now have the same simple master vol / tone and 3-way switch arrangement — much easier for my brain to deal with.

Swap hot and ground on one of them and see what happens. They may be magnetically in phase but electrically out of phase.
So turns out the issue was, the Golden Age pickups have white, red, green, black, and bare wires, just like a Duncan and most others. I got used to black being the hot wire, and green being the ground wire, so that's how I wired this up, but it should have been the other way around. Now that it's right, it sounds really good. Very much happier, A+ would recommend.

In other news, I think I voided the warranty for my SE hollowbody standard. This thing was so well put together. I don't think I can replicate everything when I redo it. I mean, it'll be done well, just not quite as well.
v6IwPjO.jpg

OK, new wiring harness for the Hollowbody, made during a slow work day this morning.

Bridge will coil split with a CTS push/pull. All I had were 1.1K resistors so I had to wire up 2 in series to get the PRS-spec 2.2K for the bridge in the split circuit.

Yellow = bridge pickup hot, red = neck pickup hot, white is split wire, black is ground.

I wanted to find a terminal block that I could mount below the bridge pickup to make future pickup changes much easier. I couldn't find one small enough that deals with the 28 gauge lead wires from the neck pickup and would have enough terminals and still fit in the small space, so instead, I'll just splice and heat shrink the connections. Better than pulling all the electronics.

Remember, all I wanted was to swap the neck pickup, and here's where it lead me.

K3rGTOH.jpg

Back