SE Mods

Does this count as modded if I bought it like this?
bAgT0gw.jpg

HZmlVWT.jpg

vCEPiLn.jpg

My first SE

I do plan on some locking tuners and some different knobs.

Awesome guitar! Clear Lampshades might look great on that top IMHO.

Anybody here know what pole spacing the 85/15S set has? I'm trying to score some covers, don't wanna buy something that won't fit.

Those of you who have done nut upgrades, how much work is involved in filing and sanding if I'm replacing with either a pre-cut core nut or a tusq? Also, does anybody know which tusq black nut would be the right fit for a Chris Robertson (one of many SE's built on the 245 platform).

Thanks!

Those of you who have done nut upgrades, how much work is involved in filing and sanding if I'm replacing with either a pre-cut core nut or a tusq? Also, does anybody know which tusq black nut would be the right fit for a Chris Robertson (one of many SE's built on the 245 platform).

Thanks!
I only had to do a quick pass with a file through slot to remove the old glue. And glued in the new nut. No fuss no muss as they say. Some people have recommended scoring around the old nut with an xacto knife or similar sharp object, to prevent lifting the finish.

85-15s-Cover2.jpg
it's a little over sized on the body to make sure there was enough vinyl to be a full bleed when I trimmed it off but the poles are exactly where they belong and the size of the poles is correct

sPUhh8e.jpg

I put an early 57/08 in the bridge and matched it with a Duncan Jazz in the neck. I think my switch needs to be replaced as I am still getting cutting out and crackling when the bridge position only is selected, which was also happening with the stock pickups. Unfortunately it's inconsistent so I don't know for sure how it's sounding. The Jazz sounds almost identical to the stock pickup.

sPUhh8e.jpg

I put an early 57/08 in the bridge and matched it with a Duncan Jazz in the neck. I think my switch needs to be replaced as I am still getting cutting out and crackling when the bridge position only is selected, which was also happening with the stock pickups. Unfortunately it's inconsistent so I don't know for sure how it's sounding. The Jazz sounds almost identical to the stock pickup.
Switches are an easy fix and you will know right away if you did it right. I would recommend a USA made switch, i had to replace the one in my SE245.

Yeah, I have one crappy one in my stash, along with a couple other non-3 way switches like rotaries and a blade switch. So I ordered up a couple switchcraft switches and they'll be here whenever they get here.

So, anyway, the cosmetics aren't that great. Creme rings with white binding, nickel covers with a chrome bridge. I wish @John Mann had some of his "fatback" bridges I could put on this guitar. I was pestering him about it a couple years ago, but felt like I was pestering too much and let it go. But I just tagged him so let the pestering recommence!

Swapped out the pickups for TV Jones Classics and changed out the pots, cap and wiring with a RS Kit in my Bigsby equipped Silver Sparkle Semi Hollow SE.
Hey, can I get a kit to split humbuckers on an SE single cut with a pull pot(s)??

sPUhh8e.jpg

I can't recommend Switchcraft switches enough. It's the ones used in the USA models.

Yeah, I have one crappy one in my stash, along with a couple other non-3 way switches like rotaries and a blade switch. So I ordered up a couple switchcraft switches and they'll be here whenever they get here.

So, anyway, the cosmetics aren't that great. Creme rings with white binding, nickel covers with a chrome bridge. I wish @John Mann had some of his "fatback" bridges I could put on this guitar. I was pestering him about it a couple years ago, but felt like I was pestering too much and let it go. But I just tagged him so let the pestering recommence!

John has a bridge coming for these any day now. https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/mannmade-usa-bridges-for-se-holcombs-baritones.43896/

Grab one of those and a set of Core ivory rings and you're set!

Toggle switches can be really annoying. The contacts may need a little cleaning, or you may need to bend the prongs a little bit to make better contact. Switchcraft definitely feels best in my experience, but I've had trouble with them, too.

John has a bridge coming for these any day now. https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/mannmade-usa-bridges-for-se-holcombs-baritones.43896/

Grab one of those and a set of Core ivory rings and you're set!

Toggle switches can be really annoying. The contacts may need a little cleaning, or you may need to bend the prongs a little bit to make better contact. Switchcraft definitely feels best in my experience, but I've had trouble with them, too.
Right on, man! Thanks for the info!

Finally got a new switch in the mail, and got it installed last night. Somehow I seized the push/pull pot while soldering to it, and then after enough force, the entire shaft came out of the pot. Luckily I had a spare one of those, so I swapped that out too, and now everything works.

Tones? Well, the Jazz sounds exactly like the stock 58/15S, and the 57/08 is brighter and has more midrange - pretty much the opposite of what I would have wanted. I can tell it's going to sound great in something though.

Back