SE Mods

It's more about the gauge they used and how well everything is soldered together. Very solid one piece unit that drops right in, once you ream out the holes. Once you make the correct and final connections it's a game changer for sure.

Y'know,
I've done the math before and, if you upgrade every single component to USA, you're going to spend core money.

I gotta figure out where to draw the line

Only you won't have a core body or neck.:(

A chunk of mahogany is a chunk of mahogany, bro.

A maple top is a maple top.

A RW board is a RW board.

Assuming they're made to identical specs, I don't see how anybody could differentiate any sonic difference. Unless you want to get Uber specific about one tree versus the next, trees grown with one fertilizer vs the other fertilizer.

So far I've only replaced the pickups in my 09 SE Singlecut with an SD Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. Next up will be locking tuners and maybe locking bridge posts. It holds tune fine, the locking tuners would be strictly to make string changes quicker.

Assuming they're made to identical specs...

You know what they say about assuming? ;) They are not the same. The core will have a one piece body, while the SE is multiple pieces. Same with the neck, while both might have scarf joints and glued on heel, the neck itself is one piece on the core vs three piece on SE.

As for the maple top, a core will have a solid figured maple top, vs a veneer on the SE.

If you can't hear the difference, then it might not matter to you (does to me). IMO, the looks are better on the one piece.

Last edited:
For me it's just that the upgrades are not worth much to most people if you decide to sell later. It's still an SE regardless. Might as well take the time to save up or buy one interest free credit from a big retailer for $30 a month or something than put hundreds into a guitar that will never be worth a fraction you spent on expensive hardware.

Having said that, I bought a trashed vintage Japanese Les Paul for $50 and spent a couple of hundred dollars learning and doing my first refret and liked the result enough to buy seth lover pickups for it :)

Last edited:

Assuming they're made to identical specs, I don't see how anybody could differentiate any sonic difference. Unless you want to get Uber specific about one tree versus the next, trees grown with one fertilizer vs the other fertilizer.

You might not differentiate them sonically, but by feel you can definitely feel the difference. Also, Core line has much harder frets so it should take decades of a lot of playing before you need to refret a current core guitar.

You know what they say about assuming? ;) They are not the same. The core will have a one piece body, while the SE is multiple pieces. Same with the neck, while both might have scarf joints and glued on heel, the neck itself is one piece on the core vs three piece on SE.

As for the maple top, a core will have a solid figured maple top, vs a veneer on the SE.

If you can't hear the difference, then it might not matter to you (does to me). IMO, the looks are better on the one piece.

My Tremonti SE Custom has a maple top. Just not figured. They stick a flame veneer on top of that.

I don't care what anybody says, maple vs flame maple vs curly maple vs 10 top vs artist top vs PS top: Everything else being equal, you're not going to hear it in a blind taste test.

And both SEs I've owned have had one piece necks.

I know they glue on wings to make the headstock. I don't count that cause it's not the actual neck.

I am neither a fan of or opposed to having a 3 or 5 piece neck. I'm not paying extra to have those skunk stripes running up and down the damn thing. I want the one that plays good

You might not differentiate them sonically, but by feel you can definitely feel the difference. Also, Core line has much harder frets so it should take decades of a lot of playing before you need to refret a current core guitar.

For me, there's 2 reasons to buy core:
Neck and visual

I played a pattern thin, and it was a dream. Greatest neck ever carved. To hell with what anybody says.

Could it be better? Yes, because I had a childhood wrist break that causes discomfort to this day so, I need an ultra thin and ultra narrow neck. I have considered ordering PS just to get a custom neck carve but, I'm afraid of spending that money on a neck that still isn't perfect.

Do I need to explain the visual reasons?

I know you can get into core line sonic territory with upgrades to any old chunk of mahogany.

I chose an SE because it's the best thing I can afford. The only guitar better than an SE is a core.

I played several S2s at GC on Las Vegas Blvd, and I was deeply disappointed by them. I know that's going to rustle some Jimmies but, I don't care.

I love SEs and I loved the McDC594 I played, and I know I'm going to love core and PS models.

My Tremonti SE Custom has a maple top. Just not figured. They stick a flame veneer on top of that.

Exactly what I posted above. And to add to it, the SE maple top is multiple pieces with veneer on top, not bookmatched pieces as on the core.

I don't care what anybody says, maple vs flame maple vs curly maple vs 10 top vs artist top vs PS top: Everything else being equal, you're not going to hear it in a blind taste test.

As I said, it might not matter to you, but for some of us it does matter, hence paying extra for it. Placebo effect? IDK, maybe. No one else can say for sure what another perceives.

Got any pics? Your SE Tremonti has a three piece neck, just like mine. ;)

Either way, my point is, there is a difference between the body and neck on the two models. And I'm happy for you if you don't care about the differences, but they are indeed different. In fact, I forgot until just now, but even the finishes are different between the two models, which some of us believe makes a difference too.

Hard to see see it in this pic, but it does show three pieces, both for the neck and the body. The reflections on the neck are right on top of the seams.
27279605598_af76cafe53_o.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly what I posted above. And to add to it, the SE maple top is multiple pieces with veneer on top, not bookmatched pieces as on the core.

As I said, it might not matter to you, but for some of us it does matter, hence paying extra for it. Placebo effect? IDK, maybe. No one else can say for sure what another perceives.

Got any pics? Your SE Tremonti has a three piece neck, just like mine. ;)

Either way, my point is, there is a difference between the body and neck on the two models. And I'm happy for you if you don't care about the differences, but they are indeed different. In fact, I forgot until just now, but even the finishes are different between the two models, which some of us believe makes a difference too.

Hard to see see it in this pic, but it does show three pieces, both for the neck and the body. The reflections on the neck are right on top of the seams.
27279605598_af76cafe53_o.jpg

Ok dude, first let me say this:

I feel like maybe we're arguing/fighting here. For that, I want to apologise to you. Totally not my intention. I just live my life with a "F U!!!" attitude towards everybody.
I tend to forget that sometimes, that attitude bleeds through into text/post.

Again, let me apologize profusely for that as it's not intended.

Quite the contrary, I type in monotone. And I tend to read in monotone as well. UNLESS THERE'S EMPHASIS ON WORDS lol :)

Couple of sentences there made me realize that my bad habit of accidently getting stand-offish might have (rightly) put your guard up.

I'm sorry and take full responsibility for the confusion here.

My guitar looks like it's made out of 4 pieces of wood and a veneer.
Body
Neck
Board

I would share pictures but can't for whatever reason.

I've got better than 20/20 in both eyes, and I can't see multiple pieces in the black neck and back finish. And of course, ain't nobody can see through the veneer top lol

At any rate, for a brand new Mark Tremonti model that cost me $800 plus pickups plus install plus the locking tuners that will be here Tuesday plus installing those:
I'm not complaining.

The neck could be better, yeah but, for 800 smackers? You cannot and will not find a better guitar brand new.

Equal quality for equal money? LMFAO! Not unless it says PRS! :-D

Seriously, why can't I use emojis? Google chrome browser for Android.

I've never seen a 5 piece neck like yours where the skinny strips are so wide apart. That's fascinating.

Lastly, let me reiterate how sorry I am that we seem to be arguing here. You're a PRS guy so, you're automatically a good guy. It's against the law to be a jerk and own a PRSG. I know you're a good dude. I don't want to fight with you. That's on me, bud. That's my bad.

Seriously. I was speaking in monotone, and I think I just used the wrong words and put you on defense. Not intentional. Totally my fault.

If/when admins see this, please note: Homeboy over there isn't doing anything wrong. This was 276% my fault. Not his. He's a good dude. I'm just a mistyping idiot over here. I'm the responsible person for this.

Oh no dude! You are totally fine, no offense taken or intended on my part. :)

I see it as an exchange of views, many are different, no biggie. We can all educate each other, and I've learned a lot here, and enjoy your posts too.

I think it is awesome that you have made a fantastic guitar for so little $, I'm sure it's killer. I know I like my SE Tremonti, even without the amount of effort like you put into yours.

....I've never seen a 5 piece neck like yours where the skinny strips are so wide apart. That's fascinating.....

lol, sorry about that, those skinny strips are just reflections. It is really only three pieces, and the reflections are right on top of the seams.

:cool:

Oh no dude! You are totally fine, no offense taken or intended on my part. :)

I see it as an exchange of views, many are different, no biggie. We can all educate each other, and I've learned a lot here, and enjoy your posts too.

I think it is awesome that you have made a fantastic guitar for so little $, I'm sure it's killer. I know I like my SE Tremonti, even without the amount of effort like you put into yours.

lol, sorry about that, those skinny strips are just reflections. It is really only three pieces, and the reflections are right on top of the seams.

:cool:

Better pics?

Hey, I'm glad we're on an even keel, bother!

I really should learn how to pay attention to screen names on forums though lol. What's the dark haired man equivalentof a dumb blonde woman? Or a ditz? I think that's the word. If a girl isn't exactly stupid but, definitely not smart, you call her a ditz, right? Whatever the male equivalent of that is, it's me.

Point being:
I never have a clue who I'm talking to until a situation arises. Ask the guys on all the Chevy forums. They'll tell you.
"Oh, yeah. We've loved Jason for years. Little jerk is a whiz kid with engines. His only problem is that he's been our friend for years, and has no idea who we are. Damn kid doesn't even recognize our profile pictures!"

I'm going to make an effort to remember and look out for you Mr... Hang on, lemme look...Shimmilou. I'm going to call you Shimmy Louie cause I'm reading that as Shimmy Loo. Except Loo is a British term for a toilet...

Shimmy Louie it is!

This is about the best I can get, of the neck at the heel end. The body pieces are matched up pretty well on the back, though the seams are evident at the right viewing angle, and more apparent viewing from the edge (looks like only three pieces that I can detect). The seams for the maple top are visible from the edges only (at least three pieces).

32459220147_4ac44608b9_o.jpg

For me, there's 2 reasons to buy core:
Neck and visual

I played a pattern thin, and it was a dream. Greatest neck ever carved. To hell with what anybody says.

Could it be better? Yes, because I had a childhood wrist break that causes discomfort to this day so, I need an ultra thin and ultra narrow neck. I have considered ordering PS just to get a custom neck carve but, I'm afraid of spending that money on a neck that still isn't perfect.

Do I need to explain the visual reasons?

I know you can get into core line sonic territory with upgrades to any old chunk of mahogany.

I chose an SE because it's the best thing I can afford. The only guitar better than an SE is a core.

I played several S2s at GC on Las Vegas Blvd, and I was deeply disappointed by them. I know that's going to rustle some Jimmies but, I don't care.

I love SEs and I loved the McDC594 I played, and I know I'm going to love core and PS models.

I’m sorry but I disagree with you. You might not have bonded with the pattern regular neck on the S2s or you might have encountered a few lemons, but the S2s are generally a huge improvement relative the the SEs. They use the same harder fret wires as the core line, the fret work is also at the level of the core line and the fretboard edges are very smoothly rolled. The nut on SEs up until 2017 had really sharp edges. I’ve played many SEs that had sharp fret ends and in some cases needing of a good fret leveling as well. Some of these things have been addressed in the last two year models. Interestingly it was the same time that some of the Korean SE started being produced in Indonesia. I’m a huge PRS fan and now for the money, an SE is probably the best money could get you. But until 2017 I would not have said that and I would highly disagree with that. Prior to 2017 I thought LTD, Godin, Fender and even Gibson (LP & SG Faded were the price of a SE back then) were putting out better guitars then the SEs. With the last two years updates, I think the SEs have become no 1 in that price range. I’m not talking sonically, but in terms of feel and build quality. In summary, I think the jump from an SE to a S2 is huge. It is the most significant jump in all the PRS lineup. It’s the one linenup that can hold their own against other makers top of the line without going custom shop, and in ways they can hold their own against the Core line as well. Notice that I’m avoiding tone discussion because that’s heavily subjective. However, fretwork, fret ends, fretboard edges, and nut edges and slots are very objective things look at.

Last edited:
This is about the best I can get, of the neck at the heel end. The body pieces are matched up pretty well on the back, though the seams are evident at the right viewing angle, and more apparent viewing from the edge (looks like only three pieces that I can detect). The seams for the maple top are visible from the edges only (at least three pieces).

32459220147_4ac44608b9_o.jpg

Ohh she's sexy, ain't she?

I’m sorry but I disagree with you. You might not have bonded with the pattern regular neck on the S2s or you might have encountered a few lemons, but the S2s are generally a huge improvement relative the the SEs. They use the same harder fret wires as the core line, the fret work is also at the level of the core line and the fretboard edges are very smoothly rolled. The nut on SEs up until 2017 had really sharp edges. I’ve played many SEs that had sharp fret ends and in some cases needing of a good fret leveling as well. Some of these things have been addressed in the last two year models. Interestingly it was the same time that some of the Korean SE started being produced in Indonesia. I’m a huge PRS fan and now for the money, an SE is probably the best money could get you. But until 2017 I would not have said that and I would highly disagree with that. Prior to 2017 I thought LTD, Godin, Fender and even Gibson (LP & SG Faded were the price of a SE back then) were putting out better guitars then the SEs. With the last two years updates, I think the SEs have become no 1 in that price range. I’m not talking sonically, but in terms of feel and build quality. In summary, I think the jump from an SE to a S2 is huge. It is the most significant jump in all the PRS lineup. It’s the one linenup that can hold their own against other makers top of the line without going custom shop, and in ways they can hold their own against the Core line as well. Notice that I’m avoiding tone discussion because that’s heavily subjective. However, fretwork, fret ends, fretboard edges, and nut edges and slots are very objective things look at.

I think a late model SE will s#it all over any custom shop.

The only thing that can touch a PRS, is another PRS.

S2s
3 necks that felt like they were coated in Maple syrup
Every single one with pores so big, they looked like cracks all over the neck
Inlays that looked like stickers
Inlays that looked like cheaper materials than the SE line

See what you made me do? I wasn't going to bring it up but, I played 7 or 8 of them at the Guitar Center on Las Vegas Boulevard, and every single one felt sub-standard to SE models. Even lower end SEs.

That's not to mention the trio of 2017 hold overs that still hadn't sold by June 2018 and hadn't been cared for leaving them with twisted necks. I blame GC for that

I think a late model SE will s#it all over any custom shop.

The only thing that can touch a PRS, is another PRS.

S2s
3 necks that felt like they were coated in Maple syrup
Every single one with pores so big, they looked like cracks all over the neck
Inlays that looked like stickers
Inlays that looked like cheaper materials than the SE line

See what you made me do? I wasn't going to bring it up but, I played 7 or 8 of them at the Guitar Center on Las Vegas Boulevard, and every single one felt sub-standard to SE models. Even lower end SEs.

That's not to mention the trio of 2017 hold overs that still hadn't sold by June 2018 and hadn't been cared for leaving them with twisted necks. I blame GC for that

I’ll concede that the S2 have finishes that feel thicker than core. But fret end, the rolled fretboard edges, the fret work, the fret wire, the nut slots, nut nut edges, etc. are objectively better on the S2 relative to the SEs.

Also, I’m a guitarist first and a fan of PRS second. If it weren’t for people giving honest constructive reviews regarding the nut on SEs, PRS would have never addressed the differences issue in 2018. That’s part of what made me a fan of PRS. The fact that they’ve listened to customers and addressed the little Achilles heel the SEs had. I disagree with you to just alsmost dogmatically say that PRS SEs will s#it over other custom shop. I have Custom Shop guitars that are at a different level and no SE would be able to compete with in terms of sheer quality and playability. I will say this though, the core line competes with other guitar makers’ custom shop line, but not the SEs. If you believed that the only thing you got from a Core model were cosmetic appointments relative to the SEs, that would make PRS a pretty crummy company to be honest. You do get something as you more beyond cosmetic as you go up in the lineup, as you should expect from an honest good company, such as PRS. Don’t get me wrong SEs are great guitars that I’d be happy with had I not been fortunate to own a few Cores. I just think, both Core and S2s and the CE24 are objectively better quality instruments.

I know they glue on wings to make the headstock. I don't count that cause it's not the actual neck.

I am neither a fan of or opposed to having a 3 or 5 piece neck. I'm not paying extra to have those skunk stripes running up and down the damn thing. I want the one that plays good

You don't need to justify your actions. SE's are perfectly good guitars and great value for money.

Last edited:
One of the things that differentiates the various lines of PRS is how dry the wood is.I have them at every level, and there are sonic differences with my S2’s being the first ones out for a gig. My Se’s Are fine guitars, but they’ve all needed fret work above the octave. My S2’s are stock out of the box, and my core have minor modifications. Two coats of Meguiar’s liquid cleaner car wax, and the thicker finish on the neck of an S2 doesn’t matter. The big picture is, which one speaks to You? At every level there are some fantastic guitars. I think you’re more likely to find one at a higher price point, but who cares how much you spend? Does the magic happen when you plug it in?

Back