SE Mods

I’ll concede that the S2 have finishes that feel thicker than core. But fret end, the rolled fretboard edges, the fret work, the fret wire, the nut slots, nut nut edges, etc. are objectively better on the S2 relative to the SEs.

Also, I’m a guitarist first and a fan of PRS second. If it weren’t for people giving honest constructive reviews regarding the nut on SEs, PRS would have never addressed the differences issue in 2018. That’s part of what made me a fan of PRS. The fact that they’ve listened to customers and addressed the little Achilles heel the SEs had. I disagree with you to just alsmost dogmatically say that PRS SEs will s#it over other custom shop. I have Custom Shop guitars that are at a different level and no SE would be able to compete with in terms of sheer quality and playability. I will say this though, the core line competes with other guitar makers’ custom shop line, but not the SEs. If you believed that the only thing you got from a Core model were cosmetic appointments relative to the SEs, that would make PRS a pretty crummy company to be honest. You do get something as you more beyond cosmetic as you go up in the lineup, as you should expect from an honest good company, such as PRS. Don’t get me wrong SEs are great guitars that I’d be happy with had I not been fortunate to own a few Cores. I just think, both Core and S2s and the CE24 are objectively better quality instruments.

Aren't CEs part of the core line? MIA and not PS or S2?

I know cores are better. I'm just saying that SEs are so well made that I wonder how much better?

That McCarty DC 594 was far and away hands down the best guitar I've ever played. Magical. As mentioned above. As for frets and nuts on S2s, no idea.

Finish thickness? In the grand scheme of everything and all factors, how much does that really affect tone? Negligibly at best, I would expect.

I can understand how one piece of wood will vibrate better than many glued together. When I'm in the zone, I feel my SE vibrating like crazy. I can't imagine how a core or PS model would act.

Aren't CEs part of the core line? MIA and not PS or S2?

I know cores are better. I'm just saying that SEs are so well made that I wonder how much better?

That McCarty DC 594 was far and away hands down the best guitar I've ever played. Magical. As mentioned above. As for frets and nuts on S2s, no idea.

Finish thickness? In the grand scheme of everything and all factors, how much does that really affect tone? Negligibly at best, I would expect.

I can understand how one piece of wood will vibrate better than many glued together. When I'm in the zone, I feel my SE vibrating like crazy. I can't imagine how a core or PS model would act.

I’m not talking about tone. I’m talking about feel and playability. Tone is subjective. The things that I mentioned are not.

No CE is not a part of the Core line, it is a part of the bolt on line alongside the SS. They are indeed MIA, which by the way so is the S2s. They are built in the same Maryland factory as the Core line. They use the same frets and nuts. The hardtail S2s will also have the same bridge as the Core hardtails. The S2s will have SE electronics and

Last edited:
I’m not talking about tone. I’m talking about feel and playability. Tone is subjective. The this guy that I mentioned are not.

No CE is not a part of the Core line, it is a part of the bolt on line alongside the SS. They are indeed MIA, which by the way so is the S2s. They are built in the same Maryland factory as the Core line. They use the same frets and nuts. The hardtail S2s will also have the same bridge as the Core hardtails. The S2s will have SE electronics and

What's SS?

I'm aware of
SE
S2
CE
Core
PS

My only grumble with SE's is the softer fret wire. I have a VM squire thats 4 years old and my 1 year old Zach Myers has equivalent fret wear. My older Ibanez SZ has less than both those, My Evo and stainless fret guitars have none and my CU24 is too new at 6 months but I expect it's going to be the same as the Zach Myers.

I think fret wear is probably the one thing that will eventually encourage me to upgrade to a higher tier PRS instrument. Fit and finish, comfort and playability seems to be exceptional with all PRS guitars. Sometimes the pickups seem a bit flat to me, but it usually only takes a boost and small EQ adjustment to fill out the frequencies.

Broke down and upgraded pots and blade switch on the 30th Anniv. SE CU24. Took 2 tries to get the wiring right. I ordered the kit from Huddys Guitar Shop through eBay. I had to enlarge holes for the new pots and fanegal the switch tip on because I found out after the fact, that those are sold separately.

Anyway the new harness and pots do make a difference over the OEM parts. Full humbucker mode is louder and heavier like a Humbucker should be. Split coil mode is a significant drop in volume but also a significant increase in clarity. Definitely going to take some time to find my tones on this one again.

I noticed a little thinness to my 85/15 's' pickups in my newer CU24 compared to say my Ibanez with coil splits. Boost helps but it does seem leaner sounding than I would expect.

IMG_20190319_170408944_zpsovi9gioi.jpg

Just barely got the Mann Made black chrome tuners installed.

Don't these humdingers look nice?

White chrome was $90 but, I just said to hell with it, I wanna be different so, black chrome were $130

NOTE:
My PRSd said the mounting screws that come with the Mann Made tuners weren't long enough so, he had to reuse the factory ones.
I'm good with it.

I know I’m late to the party here, but I just replaced the stock 85/15 “S” pickups in my SVN with a set of Seymour Duncan’s SH-5 and SH-2n.

The stock pups are slightly smaller in width than the Duncan’s so I had to file the tiniest amount off the “wing” of the Duncan’s where the spring and screw go through. Literally two passes with a file.
Fits perfectly now.

Completely changed the guitar for the better - in my opinion.

I own an SE Standard 24. I like it so much I added the Mann tuners (the ones that are PRS branded) and I set of Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays. I really like how the PRS plays. I think I would have to spend a lot more to get the same playability.

I own an SE Standard 24. I like it so much I added the Mann tuners (the ones that are PRS branded) and I set of Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays. I really like how the PRS plays. I think I would have to spend a lot more to get the same playability.

The only guitar that plays better than an SE, is a US model

The only guitar that plays better than an SE, is a US model

Actually, I think the Fender MIMs play better... I had an SE.... singlecut, put DGT pickups in it, DGT wiring, USA knobs, gold hardware, after a dinged it really bad I even sanded the top down and refinished it in a sort of root beer/black gold color..... came out pretty nice I think.

But every Fender MIM has been better. Not by much- the SEs are good instruments. Not slagging them at all. All owning the SE did was make me want a USA lol. BUT... didn't play it much, those DGTs sounded incredible, but I just couldn't get on with the SC body or the neck profile (whatever it is on the SEs)... so I sold it. But I'm planning on getting a DGT this year. It'll have to be used, so I'm just waiting for the right one to come along...

Also had an SE One for a very short time; it just felt too light, not enough balls for me.

Here's my modded SE:

OZxEV79.jpg

...I don't care what anybody says, maple vs flame maple vs curly maple vs 10 top vs ... you're not going to hear it in a blind taste test...

Most people only test two guitars side by side and don't realize just the volume pots vary by 20% in value through normal production even when set at '10', caps and pickups have wide variation too. They often confuse this variation with whatever else they are trying to test (maple vs rosewood fret boards, number of glued boards in the body, or whatever). When they try swapping parts they are often setting pickup heights to the strings differently or even strumming strings in different spots. Very difficult for casual testing and why so many people get uptight about 'tone wood' comparisons because it also bumps up against pricing perceptions.

It's not just in guitars, here's a fun look at the wine industry.

Most people only test two guitars side by side and don't realize just the volume pots vary by 20% in value through normal production even when set at '10', caps and pickups have wide variation too. They often confuse this variation with whatever else they are trying to test (maple vs rosewood fret boards, number of glued boards in the body, or whatever). When they try swapping parts they are often setting pickup heights to the strings differently or even strumming strings in different spots. Very difficult for casual testing and why so many people get uptight about 'tone wood' comparisons because it also bumps up against pricing perceptions.

I never liked wine. Makes me dry mouth and thirsty. Tastes awful, too. Just my opinion.

Here's the facts:

60ish% of your sound is your amp
25ish% is your pedals
10ish% is your pups
5ish% is everything else (woods wires strings hands etc)

The wine comparison is interesting...it is something else that can be completely a matter of personal taste (pun intended). For the uneducated, wine is wine as a guitar is a guitar.(you don't know what you don't know) However...Once you start to learn and appreciate the nuances from one to another, well...worlds start to open up you might never know existed. There are great wines in the $8-15 range, that you could drink every day and not wish for anything else.(you can buy a guitar for $100, and strum it til the cows come home, and love it...)) There are $50 bottles of wine that you'd wish you had bought 4 $12 bottles instead.(Or a$4000 guitar) It's all a matter of taste. You can choose to ignore the complexities and multiple levels of taste (in wine or guitar) or you can fall into the abyss of what can be created by the finest of craftsmen in their field. I'll take a Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley and my PRS please;)

Back