Santana or Westie on lower tunings?

You think I could go to C# w/11s?
I keep 11s on this one. I’ve never considered trying C#. Do you want the whole guitar tuned to that, or just drop the fat string? I think a term would be pretty sloppy with all string tuned down.
CK_364EywaTop.JPG

CAT?????? That's a 60 lb collie/setter mix!

Ha. in my defense that picture could only be worse if Sergio took it pre-2017

Edit: of the dog I mean. Not the rest of it. The guitar is nicely lit and in focus.;)

Last edited:
I keep 11s on this one. I’ve never considered trying C#. Do you want the whole guitar tuned to that, or just drop the fat string? I think a term would be pretty sloppy with all string tuned down.
CK_364EywaTop.JPG

Everything is tuned down. But not all strings are the same number of steps. Some of my favorite metal bands play tuned down to C and C#. I’ve seen a drop B from the same bands which goes B F# B E G# C#. They have to be using a baritone or something... I have no idea. I haven’t spent much time learning metal in my past 1.5 year adventure but I’m about to start. I’m much further away from buying a core 24 fret guitar than I am to working on metal.

Everything is tuned down. But not all strings are the same number of steps. Some of my favorite metal bands play tuned down to C and C#. I’ve seen a drop B from the same bands which goes B F# B E G# C#. They have to be using a baritone or something... I have no idea. I haven’t spent much time learning metal in my past 1.5 year adventure but I’m about to start. I’m much further away from buying a core 24 fret guitar than I am to working on metal.
I’m pretty sure that for this application David Grissom would advocate a baritone and a capo (for tunings higher than what is natural for it). He did a session at Experience on this type of thing.

Down to B will work with big strings, but again, it'll be a bit sludgy and that's why a lot of the heavy dudes go for 26.5" or longer scale.

Back