Sadly, I have to return my new SE DGT

Ahhh of course. The tried and true comedic technique of calling people vile names to evoke a smile. Always good for a chuckle.

And, there are funny alternatives that play much better to an unfamiliar audience. For example, I like the one Hot Donna used, Dillhole.

I heard the Brits used it when I was young, and to be cool I adopted part of my banter. I remember I was seeing this girl and she thought it was funny... until I used it with her in a playful way, not funny to her one bit! Embarrassing lesson learned. I've never used it part of my vocabulary since.

Correct, this can't be fixed with saddle adjustment, and I should be used to people not really reading posts and just assuming that they know what the problem is and that they are smart and everyone else is dumb. I guess everyone assuming I didn't know what I was doing and just hamming the same point over and over again just struck a nerve.

I'm getting an RMA from PRS support.
Just for the record, nowhere in your OP do you point out your luthier skills, or years of service as such. So pointing out how wrong we are with your derogatory tone is really uncalled for.

Purchased a new one last week from a PRS dealer and when it showed up the action was inordinately high and even a truss-rod adjustment won't get the strings lower. If this was a bolt-on it could be remedied with a neck shim, however, there's not really an easy way to fix it with a set neck. The frets are not as level as I would have expected the low-E strings nut slot could be cut a little better and the frets need a bit of polishing. I expect to have to set up a guitar when I get it, but, unfortunately, I have to return this one and I'm bummed.

I will say this, however, it looks fantastic and the pickups do sound amazing. They aren't lying about that part!

Maybe I'll try another one in the future if I can play one locally in Austin before buying again online, or possibly find a used core model as every core PRS I own has been amazing. This was my 1st SE and perhaps I expected too much due to all the hype from the YouTube influencers that said it's the best thing since the wheel.
The new SE SAS I received sounds and plays 10X better than the '97 core SAS I had a decade ago. Pickups are definitely improved.

The new SE SAS I received sounds and plays 10X better than the '97 core SAS I had a decade ago. Pickups are definitely improved.
Not even remotely the case for me and the multiple I've played, and they were good examples of solid guitars. Nothing against the seSS, but my SAS is a forever guitar. Often the first I grab against walls of great guitars.

Just for the record, nowhere in your OP do you point out your luthier skills, or years of service as such. So pointing out how wrong we are with your derogatory tone is really uncalled for.

Nor really what the actual "defect" is or how they plan to fix it. They did say something about un-level frets, but all the OP's posts allude to a bigger problem.

I'm curious as to what the actual defect is, how the defect was discovered, and what the remedy will be.

You got a dud. Return it and get one that is right. The PRS SE line is quality but there are some that get through the line that maybe shouldn’t.
That happened to me. Tried out an SE 594 Standard, really liked it so I bought it. Left it at the store for their guitar tech to pick it up and to give it a going over. He called me up two days later and said "the neck on this thing is not level." I thought he meant the frets needed leveling and he said "no, it's not level side to side." Told me in time it could get worse.

He took it back to the store, they had another of the same model in stock and they said I could take that one or get a refund. I was hesitant but I decided to take a chance on the other one they had because it played so good. Left it at the store, the tech picked it up and called me the next day saying this one's good.

Well....I like it....love how well it plays but there are some issues. When using the bar it goes out of tune and stays out of tune. I'm not doing wild dive bombs either. Just doing those light shimmers and maybe a half to whole step down and it's out. Bought a set of Schaller locking tuners and it still went out although not as bad as before. Took it to another tech and he said the nut slots were fine, but he gave them a little going over anyway.

I finally blocked the trem on both sides and it stays reasonably in tune. Seems to go out a bit more than it should and the strings have been on this guitar for a good month. I even use Big Bends Sauce in the nut slots.

But it's a keeper even though it's a bit of a problem child!

If you've tried setting it up and it's not possible, follow your instinct!

I would be curious to see if the guitar neck twists, not impossible. Either way, return it like you said.

For whatever reason, I forgot to provide an update here.
The dealer arranged for me to ship it directly to PRS for QC check, and they are disposing of it.
They said the nut needed to be re-cut and the fets leveled, but that's BS, if that was all that was needed I could have just asked for some money back to have it pleked at straight frets here in Austin This neck was jacked up.

Well then you should be even, your posts, and you, are BS also. And I don't mean that in a mean way, but rather funny like the Mongolians often kid around. :rolleyes:

Back