Sadly, I have to return my new SE DGT

GlockandRoll

Purchased a new one last week from a PRS dealer and when it showed up the action was inordinately high and even a truss-rod adjustment won't get the strings lower. If this was a bolt-on it could be remedied with a neck shim, however, there's not really an easy way to fix it with a set neck. The frets are not as level as I would have expected the low-E strings nut slot could be cut a little better and the frets need a bit of polishing. I expect to have to set up a guitar when I get it, but, unfortunately, I have to return this one and I'm bummed.

I will say this, however, it looks fantastic and the pickups do sound amazing. They aren't lying about that part!

Maybe I'll try another one in the future if I can play one locally in Austin before buying again online, or possibly find a used core model as every core PRS I own has been amazing. This was my 1st SE and perhaps I expected too much due to all the hype from the YouTube influencers that said it's the best thing since the wheel.

I would adjust the bridge saddles before I returned it , talk to the seller about a discount for a setup locally.
SEs respond really well to a bit of TLC. Hell even core guitars are better after I set them to my preferred setup.

I've played 3 seDGT in as many days and they were all pretty sweet. Really liked the goldtop. Sounds like a setup issue more than anything. I'd follow some advice above before returning.

I would adjust the bridge saddles before I returned it , talk to the seller about a discount for a setup locally.
SEs respond really well to a bit of TLC. Hell even core guitars are better after I set them to my preferred setup.
Thanks for your input but it's not exactly a setup issue, this is a manufacturing defect.
It's going to make a trip to MD, so they can see the issue.

The dealer has been fucking cool AF, I'm actually thinking about upgrading my spend with him now!

I've played 3 seDGT in as many days and they were all pretty sweet. Really liked the goldtop. Sounds like a setup issue more than anything. I'd follow some advice above before returning.
No, it's not a setup issue... this would be solved with a neck shim if it was a bolt-on, a proper fret level/polish, and a new nut or the existing not properly slotted. I've got chibsons that play better and stay in tune better. This is a manufacturing issue.

1) All (new) guitars need to be setup
2) Truss rod adjustment is not how you lower action. Its for relief and needs to be set prior to action height which is done via the saddles.
It's not a setup issue, I've been setting up guitars for 35 years, even for one award-winning artist here in Austin, which totally happened by accident.

It's not a setup issue, I've been setting up guitars for 35 years, even for one award-winning artist here in Austin, which totally happened by accident.
I'd assume by reading your OP that you tried lowering the saddle height but it didn't achieve the desired action so you tried straightening the neck with the truss rod as a last resort. Is that correct?

If so the guitar is indeed faulty and should be returned.

Calling people cunts that can't read won't earn you any help from the fanboys here and that's a fact. I'm no fanboy though but still. Lol

I'd assume by reading your OP that you tried lowering the saddle height but it didn't achieve the desired action so you tried straightening the neck with the truss rod as a last resort. Is that correct?

If so the guitar is indeed faulty and should be returned.

Calling people cunts that can't read won't earn you any help from the fanboys here and that's a fact. I'm no fanboy though but still. Lol

Correct, this can't be fixed with saddle adjustment, and I should be used to people not really reading posts and just assuming that they know what the problem is and that they are smart and everyone else is dumb. I guess everyone assuming I didn't know what I was doing and just hamming the same point over and over again just struck a nerve.

I'm getting an RMA from PRS support.

"If this was a bolt-on it could be remedied with a neck shim, however, there's not really an easy way to fix it with a set neck. The frets are not as level as I would have expected the low-E strings nut slot could be cut a little better and the frets need a bit of polishing. I expect to have to set up a guitar when I get it"

You cunts need to learn how to fucking read :)
Dude, really…. I don’t think we need this..

I should be used to people not really reading posts and just assuming that they know what the problem is and that they are smart and everyone else is dumb.

Perhaps we wouldn't have come to this conclusion if you had said something in your OP other than "the action was inordinately high and even a truss-rod adjustment won't get the strings lower". You said absolutely nothing about adjusting the saddles or nut - you know, the things that actually affect action height. We read the post, you just didn't state anything of substance that would make anyone think you knew what you were doing.

Last edited:
I agree!

You know OP, being nice and civil doesn't cost anything.

I'm being civil.
It's strange however that everyone just assumed that I don't know how to set up a guitar when I clearly stated this was a manufacturing defect and that I expect to have to set up any guitar purchased new with very few exceptions.

Purchased a new one last week from a PRS dealer and when it showed up the action was inordinately high and even a truss-rod adjustment won't get the strings lower. If this was a bolt-on it could be remedied with a neck shim, however, there's not really an easy way to fix it with a set neck. The frets are not as level as I would have expected the low-E strings nut slot could be cut a little better and the frets need a bit of polishing. I expect to have to set up a guitar when I get it, but, unfortunately, I have to return this one and I'm bummed.

I will say this, however, it looks fantastic and the pickups do sound amazing. They aren't lying about that part!

Maybe I'll try another one in the future if I can play one locally in Austin before buying again online, or possibly find a used core model as every core PRS I own has been amazing. This was my 1st SE and perhaps I expected too much due to all the hype from the YouTube influencers that said it's the best thing since the wheel.
I’m really sorry to hear that but it seems that the quality issues with recent SE models.

Perhaps we wouldn't have come to this conclusion if you had said something in your OP other than "the action was inordinately high and even a truss-rod adjustment won't get the strings lower". You said absolutely nothing about adjusting the saddles or nut - you know, the things that actually affect action height. We read the post, you just didn't state anything of substance that would make anyone think you knew what you were doing.

There's plenty of information there, for one, me stating "If this was a bolt-on it could be remedied with a neck shim, however, there's not really an easy way to fix it with a set neck."

And there's also "The frets are not as level as I would have expected"

I own a core model and have had 4 US PRS guitars before this one, and although it is my 1st SE, I didn't know exactly what to expect with all the Youtube influencers saying it's the cat's pajamas, and then what I got delivered doesn't play well and can't seemingly be made to play well, at least not with a simple setup. Again, setups are one thing, this is expected with any new guitar, and it's something I really love to do.

As stated, I've Chibsons that play better, and an EVH Wolfgang Hardtail Special (also made in China) that is one of the best playing guitars I have ever put in my hands and didn't require much of a setup at all really, just intonation and that's it. I haven't even needed to adjust the truss rod on it swapping strings from 9's to 9-46 EB paradigm hybrid slinkys.

So, this thing playing the way it does, and my experience with other Asian guitars leads me to assume the following.
Either A, everyone on YouTube, and all the SE owners in here and on FB groups are lying.

Or... either B, I just got a bad one.

Occam's razor dictates B.

Peace.

Last edited:
Back