PRS SE Paul’s Guitar!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by MichaelC24, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Rick Lewis

Rick Lewis New Member

2. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

Sheesh. Deep carve top, authentic bridge with brass inserts, and real solid abalone birds. The sound is unbelievable. That’s it. I’m getting one to jam the hell out of.

3. Tim S

Tim S King of the barre chord

I guess I'm the only one not impressed by the sound. I was ready to order one until I heard the video. I'll be passing on this model.

But I'm glad most of you folks like the sound.

4. markd21

markd21 New Member

I was VERY intrigued and all of wanting to order a Yellow one. I mistakenly sold my Faded Vintage Yellow Paul's Guitar. While I hardly played it, I miss having it. I thought that maybe this SE would satisfy me....

However, I am not digging the TCI sound. My main guitar right now is a Brent Mason. I use the PG pickup system everyday. I much prefer the sound of the non-TCI pickups. I am glad I saw the demo. I will just hunt down another Core PG in Yellow. Now, having said that....I am ULTRA blown away by where PRS has taken that SE. It is almost to where some of the late 90's guitar were. The old school birds in abalone - my CU22 has those. The carve is getting closer - just looking at the red one reminds me of what PRS was when I first became aware of them. I am VERY impressed!!

ScottR and Matte82 like this.
  5. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

I’m happy to see the PG taking off. It has never really become mainstream, but I hope with this it becomes something special, cherished. Cheers to the Founder.

ScottR, Matte82, markd21 and 2 others like this.
  6. GavQuinn

GavQuinn New Member

I’m delighted that I was wrong here, new carve indeed! Albeit a veneer, but whatever, I don’t care about that. The new carve looks a lot nicer.

I wonder will it be rolled out across the range.

ScottR and John Beef like this.
  7. GavQuinn

GavQuinn New Member

What’s the PG system?

8. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

@[email protected] ?

9. Mozzi

Mozzi Any PRS, as long as its Fire Red Burst...

I assume that's the Paul's Guitar (PG) System. Individual toggle switches to split the coils independently instead of a push/pull system that is either full humbucker or split. This gives the middle selection 4 tonal variations - HH, HS, SH or SS compared to just 2 with the push/pull system - HH or SS.

I could be wrong and if so, the Original poster can correct me but that is what I understood them to mean...

markd21 likes this.
  10. flynvgtr

flynvgtr New Member

I placed an order for a aqua one with Sweetwater. Their first batch to arrive is already sold out. I'm looking at mid June.

ScottR, bodia and sergiodeblanc like this.
  11. justjoshin

justjoshin New Member

JUNE!?!?!?! When is the first batch scheduled to arrive?

12. Outlier22

Outlier22 New Member

Wow I didn't expect them to be so popular. Awesome for PRS.

13. markd21

markd21 New Member

Mozzi nailed it. I tend to abbreviate - PG is "Paul's Guitar", BM is Brent Mason....just laziness. But, yeah, by "PG system" I just meant the narrow 408 pickups with the two mini switches.

GavQuinn likes this.
  14. Mozzi

Mozzi Any PRS, as long as its Fire Red Burst...

It doesn't necessarily make them extremely popular. PRS may only be getting a few hundred in the first batch, which would have to be checked, set-up and distributed globally so Sweetwater may only be getting 2 or 3 in - when they finally do receive their first allocation which are all pre-sold. Selling all 3 isn't necessarily very popular - they could sell 10+ SE Custom 24's a month which would make that more popular

Because other stores want some too, PRS may not be able to send Sweetwater any more guitars until they have fulfilled all the 'first' orders from all the other stores globally. PRS, I believe, get around 2500 SE guitars a month.

That's not to say it isn't popular but the point is, its relative. If you only have 10 items and sell out, that doesn't mean its more popular than getting 100 items and selling 98 of them. Its still good though that its popular enough to sell rather than come in and no-one is interested.

Outlier22 and Tim S like this.
  15. hord1080

hord1080 New Member

I'm absolutely in love with the red one looks wise. But anyone else have this problem...I hate black backs! If only it was a dark natural color or maybe dark red with wood grain.

shimmilou likes this.
  16. danktat

danktat Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist

Yep. I had a Whale Blue CU22 that had a black back and neck. I didn't digg it nearly as much as my natural backs or reddish stained backs.

ScottR, shimmilou and Outlier22 like this.
  17. justjoshin

justjoshin New Member

This is why I’m waiting for them to get to the dealer

18. flynvgtr

flynvgtr New Member

Mid March

19. shimmilou

shimmilou New Member

^ Preordered the Amber ("Yellow one", link above), pretty excited, can't wait.

bodia, ScottR and sergiodeblanc like this.
  20. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Yep...they just HAD to put Brian Ewald behind the bastid didn't they...GAS ENGAGED!

So yeah, I promised myself a few months ago...I wasn't gonna buy another SE until I got a Core. Yeah right! So much for that plan...the struggle is real...very, very real.