PRS SE Paul’s Guitar!

I got the grandad to all of this in 2018. Now I want a grandkid! :p
kA3fgan.png
nJHaLdR.jpg

I was all set to ignore this model, then I listened to Brian Ewald's demo.

Not fair! Now I want one!

Hmph, maybe see about pre-ordering one in Amber...

Don't listen to Bryan Ewald's demo of the Core versions then - at least by listening to the SE demo's, you are saving some money....
Oh, no kidding!

I do find the comments on the Higginbotham / PRSh video (comments on the YouTube site) rather amusing:

Why can't you do a Core-type carve?
Why can't you use the Core narrow 408 pickups? (I'd like an SE version of those pups, but I guess that ain't happening.)
Why made in Indonesia?
Why no locking tuners?

Um, why not just buy yourself a core model?

Also:

Why the non-adjustable stoptail? Because that's what Paul likes, and it's "Paul's Guitar"!
Why no stainless steel frets? Because PRS doesn't do that.
Why no lefties? OK, that is legit, I suppose. But the market has to have real demand, not just a bunch of folks saying "I might buy one", and PRS has released a bunch of lefty SEs recently, so market might be saturated at the moment.

Oh, no kidding!

I do find the comments on the Higginbotham / PRSh video (comments on the YouTube site) rather amusing:

Why can't you do a Core-type carve?
Why can't you use the Core narrow 408 pickups? (I'd like an SE version of those pups, but I guess that ain't happening.)
Why made in Indonesia?
Why no locking tuners?

Um, why not just buy yourself a core model?

Also:

Why the non-adjustable stoptail? Because that's what Paul likes, and it's "Paul's Guitar"!
Why no stainless steel frets? Because PRS doesn't do that.
Why no lefties? OK, that is legit, I suppose. But the market has to have real demand, not just a bunch of folks saying "I might buy one", and PRS has released a bunch of lefty SEs recently, so market might be saturated at the moment.

Some people have no idea of what extra costs that would be passed on to them these factors incur. Having a deeper carve means that they would have to use more wood to remove more wood adding to the cost, require more sanding and shaping to remove all the CNC cuts etc. Narrow PU's would require specifically made parts rather than taking generic shaped parts and just winding them similarly to a 408, adding more cost. Locking tuners would incur more costs. Stainless Steel Frets add more costs and difficult to work with because they are so hard and ruin tools too so add to the cost. Lefties add more cost too because they have to change the CNC routing and shaping but once set up, it does even out - but they also need to make left handed necks/headstocks too. That $1000 guitar becomes a $1500+ guitar and then people complain its too expensive for an SE. it has a PS type bridge on it anyway - some compromise has to be made and Indonesia may reduce the build cost to keep it to $1000...

Its like those people that want a PS5 with a GTX2080Ti beating GPU, an i9 beating CPU, 18GB HBM2 type memory, 2TB+ SSD HDD, a 4k HDR Bluray Player, Full Backwards Compatibility, Silent running, HDMI 2.1 with Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision etc all for $400. People want a Core PRS for SE money - it ain't gonna happen!!

I'm absolutely in love with the red one looks wise. But anyone else have this problem...I hate black backs! If only it was a dark natural color or maybe dark red with wood grain.

The pictures on the Sweetwater site show the Amber and Red both have the red stained backs/necks and can still see the wood, and only the Blue has the dark back.

I was all set to ignore this model, then I listened to Brian Ewald's demo.

Not fair! Now I want one!

Hmph, maybe see about pre-ordering one in Amber...

Same here...I really like the amber AND I don't want to but, I like the turquoise one A LOT!

Having him demo one is the demo equivelent of killing a bug with a nuclear bomb! It's just kind of cruel.

Dude...just go Core Paul's guitar:rolleyes:

Well I guess I could do that...one question...should I take my Private Jet, my Bentley or one of my Ferraris. :p

Ya gotta remember man..I am the token poor dude amongst all of you Doctors & Lawyers...I think there's a law or somethin, they gotta let at least one of us in here. Just keep that between us though.;)

Last edited:
What's the difference between this model and the SE Custom 24. I'm looking to get my 1st PRS and a newbie player!

What's the difference between this model and the SE Custom 24. I'm looking to get my 1st PRS and a newbie player!

A lot of things - 24 vs 22 frets, fixed bridge vs trem bridge, different PU's and independently switchable between Single coils and humbuckers on the Pauls guitar, different neck carve....

As a new player, some of the details may not matter so much and it maybe better to go for a Pauls Guitar so you don't have a trem to worry about and can develop your bending and vibrato skills first. You probably don't need 24 frets either. The neck is chunkier on the Pauls (I believe) so you may want to see if it feels comfortable. At the end of the day though, the guitar that inspires you most, makes you want to pick up and play/practice is most important. If you find the Custom 24 is more comfortable and makes you want to keep playing, that's the best guitar to go for.

Well I guess I could do that...one question...should I take my Private Jet, my Bentley or one of my Ferraris. :p

Ya gotta remember man..I am the token poor dude amongst all of you Doctors & Lawyers...I think there's a law or somethin, they gotta let at least one of us in here. Just keep that between us though.;)

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but somebody screwed up and now there's two of us in here...

Same here...I really like the amber AND I don't want to but, I like the turquoise one A LOT!

Having him demo one is the demo equivelent of killing a bug with a nuclear bomb! It's just kind of cruel.

I don't have Sergio's aversion to azul, so I'd be thrilled with the turquoise or even the amber...

Back