PRS QC Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update #2
Prs finally got back to Sweetwater regarding the replacement guitar (July)......prs told them the build would take over a year!!! That's crazy.......So I told them to repair the one I have (July).....prs then tells them the repair won't be complete until December!!

I'm totally bumed to be without my guitar for such a long period of time. This better be one heck of a Christmas present. On a positive note, Sweetwater did give me a 10% discount for my trouble.

I know its a bind. There are plenty who have had to wait longer though. Nevertheless, it least its something to look forward to right? Also you have a 'solution' now.

Have you another guitar to play meanwhile?

Update #2
Prs finally got back to Sweetwater regarding the replacement guitar (July)......prs told them the build would take over a year!!! That's crazy.......So I told them to repair the one I have (July).....prs then tells them the repair won't be complete until December!!

I'm totally bumed to be without my guitar for such a long period of time. This better be one heck of a Christmas present. On a positive note, Sweetwater did give me a 10% discount for my trouble.
What makes you think you'll be getting it back in December? Because PRS said so? Lmao!

If anything, I think I would've just pushed Sweetwater for a discount down to B stock price and been on my merry way. Trying to find perfection is like trying to hold on to a handful of sand.

Send it back to Sweetwater and get your money back. No excuse for poor customer service from Sweetwater and PRS.

Me? I would have just sent it back for a full refund, and just moved on. You got a less than great PRS, but there are so many more amazing ones out there, I doubt you'd have a hard time finding one that's special to you.

Good luck, and I really hope this doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth about either PRS or Sweetwater (both fantastic companies). And I hope you find "the one."

I know its a bind. There are plenty who have had to wait longer though. Nevertheless, it least its something to look forward to right? Also you have a 'solution' now.

Have you another guitar to play meanwhile?
I have 4 other guitars to choose from (Gibson Les Paul Standard HP, SRV strat, American standard Strat and a Modded Epiphone Sheraton)..........I just wish the PRS was among them.

Me? I would have just sent it back for a full refund, and just moved on. You got a less than great PRS, but there are so many more amazing ones out there, I doubt you'd have a hard time finding one that's special to you.

Good luck, and I really hope this doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth about either PRS or Sweetwater (both fantastic companies). And I hope you find "the one."

Yeah......I hear you........I cringe every time I hear someone rant and rave about PRS build quality!! I don't think I'll ever buy a PRS sight unseen again..... it's like I'm traumatized....lol.

I would have sent it back if it wasn't special......the guitar sounds amazing and is a dream to play.....on top of that its a one-off guitar.......special color, gaboon ebony fretboard, green birds all for the base price........if i found anything close to it would be an extra $2k....so, we'll see just how good the PRS shop is.

Yeah......I hear you........I cringe every time I hear someone rant and rave about PRS build quality!! I don't think I'll ever buy a PRS sight unseen again..... it's like I'm traumatized....lol.

It really is excellent build quality, which is one reason why threads like these are fairly unusual, and it raised the bar for the entire industry, which had previously been on the decline (don’t know if you were around in the 70s, but quality had fallen quite low).

Trouble is, out of tens of thousands of nearly perfect guitars, a few aren’t, and some of them are bought by the folks who post indignant, entitled crap in threads like these, instead of having PRS and the dealer simply correct the problem.

But being only human beings, perfection does not yet exist 100% of the time. Having been to the factory, there’s a lot of human involvement, and it’s very clear they’re striving for perfection and greatness.

I hear aliens have achieved perfection on Tralfamadore, but unfortunately they aren’t making guitars, so for now, you’re stuck with people-made goods.

Yeah......I hear you........I cringe every time I hear someone rant and rave about PRS build quality!! I don't think I'll ever buy a PRS sight unseen again...

.so, we'll see just how good the PRS shop is.

I never hesitate to buy a PRS sight unseen. Ever.

They're VERY good, the PTC, that is. That is who will carry out the warranty work. I've sent to in for mods, and refinishes (because I was looking for something different, not due to an issue) and have been floored by the results. Beyond my expectations. I was quoted 16 weeks on both of them. The first was every bit of that 16 weeks, and maybe one more. The second was done in less than 6 weeks.

I never hesitate to buy a PRS sight unseen. Ever.

Me, either. Of about 35 of them, over the last 28 years, probably 25 were special orders that no one could’ve seen in advance. Perfect. The rest were from dealer stock. Not one was less than flawless in any way, right out of the box. I’d say 100% flawless with 35 guitars over a long period like this is a very enviable record.

Other than 4 recent PS models, 32 were Core. I have 2 recent Cores (2017, 2018). Again, flawless. To drop PS money on a guitar and never having to worry for one second is awfully cool.

I’m far from the only one with this experience!

My PRS amps and speaker cabs also are flawless. No issues with cosmetics, operation, or tone, and I’ve had them for several years.

The rest of the industry, to its eternal credit, followed PRS’ lead, and other companies are now turning out really good guitars.

We live in a golden age for the guitar. Great guitars and amps are to be found in many places. We’re lucky!

Me, either. Of about 35 of them, over the last 28 years, probably 25 were special orders that no one could’ve seen in advance. Perfect. The rest were from dealer stock. Not one was less than flawless in any way, right out of the box. I’d say 100% flawless with 35 guitars over a long period like this is a very enviable record.

Other than 4 recent PS models, 32 were Core. I have 2 recent Cores (2017, 2018). Again, flawless. To drop PS money on a guitar and never having to worry for one second is awfully cool.

My PRS amps and speaker cabs also are flawless. No issues with cosmetics, operation, or tone, and I’ve had them for several years.

The rest of the industry, to its eternal credit, followed PRS’ lead, and other companies are now turning out really good guitars.

We live in a golden age for the guitar. Great guitars and amps are to be found in many places. We’re lucky!

Couldn't agree more!

I am 100% flawless too and were all bought from 3 different UK retailers with only the Pictures as any reference to base the purchase on - I have to if I want a specific model in a specific colour as the most local stores may only have 1 or 2 PRS guitars in and probably not in my preferred colour so I have to order online to get the exact model and colour I want. My record isn't as impressive as I have 100% success from just 5 guitars.

I have faith in the dealers too, that they would check before dispatching and any deviations from expectation would result in them contacting me before sending as its more hassle and expense to deal with if it wasn't perfect - the return shipping and trying to sort out what to do to make me, the customer happy. Its the retailers fault at the end of the day as they purchase the guitars from PRS distributors. They own the guitars, not PRS so if they bought a damaged/faulty one, that's their fault and should of picked up on it so the Distributor can deal with getting it fixed.

Maybe the odd one does get through the final QC with an issue but the retailer bought that from PRS, not selling it on behalf of PRS and sending them the money when sold. They buy stock to then sell to customers -the store owns it as stock and can sell for whatever price they want as its theirs to sell. You also have to consider when the guitar left the factory (date on the hang tag) and when you bought. It could of been hanging in the store for months with numerous people handling it and/or maybe damaging something. The store though should still check it over and make sure its as described. If not, they run the risk of miss-selling.It was their responsibility to check it was 'perfect' when they bought it and their responsibility to check it before dispatch too. The exception to that rule though is if they buy stock in factory sealed packaging which they have to take the word of the factory that it was as described when sealed. If this guitar had been damaged/wrong when leaving the factory and missed, there are still at least 2 more QC checks - the retailer when they bought and when they sold - to pass.

My record isn't as impressive as I have 100% success from just 5 guitars.

As usual, you and I are in agreement, except I’m kind of embarrassed that I let so many wonderful instruments slip through my fingers!

Fortunately, I’ve been off the ‘buy one -sell one’ merry-go-round for a little while now, but - if only I’d hung onto some of the really amazing sounding ones!!

It’s a good thing I can rationalize away my many (not just guitar stuff!) mistakes in life, I guess! :oops:

I have had 27 PRS so far - with 2 issues a CU22 with a finish issue and a knob graphic rubbing off on my Silver Sky both handled by PTC no muss no fuss. only a handful of these guitars I played before hand and Zero disappointed the ones that moved went toward my latest fling :)
Hope the OP gets his sorted

I would have sent it back if it wasn't special......the guitar sounds amazing and is a dream to play.....on top of that its a one-off guitar.......special color, gaboon ebony fretboard, green birds all for the base price........if i found anything close to it would be an extra $2k....so, we'll see just how good the PRS shop is.
Of the 7 I own, 4 were bought sight unseen. All four are/were perfect.
Sorry to hear yours was not.

Wow. Amazing endorsements!

We are indeed fortunate in this day and age. However, I have never seen a flawless guitar in 49 years of playing.
But despite not being as fortunate as you, I'm sanguine enough, having some wonderful guitars with tolerable flaws.

Update #2

I'm not surprised at the one year wait time. At least PRS gave you an accurate estimate so you know which route you want to go.

Not being able to see the guitar in person and only looking at the pictures, the ruff edge looks to be on top and not under the finish. It would be hard for me to tell where or when the finish on the edge became damaged. I’ve had two experiences where the packing and the inside of the case caused damage to the finish of the instrument in shipping. I had detailed pictures of the instruments and neither had any finish damage before I received them. Both were shipped too me in summer months when the inside of the shipping trailers can get extremely hot. If the stars a-line as in my two cases and the shipping box was not properly put in the shipping trailer or fell over in transit and the guitar sat with the majority of its weight distributed on that edge, the heat and the small amount of friction of the guitar moving in its case as it was driven across country could account for that. The case lining actually almost embeds Itself in the finish and gives it a very rough texture like it wasn’t sanded, much like what I can see in the picture. Not saying that this happened in your case, but it has happened to me twice. The image in the link below was one of the guitars I received.

http://imgbox.com/qMMcjVd3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back