PRS QC Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a similar experience. Purchased a new PRS P24 in 2016 only to discover a number of QC items that I simply couldn't get past due to how much I paid. I contacted customer service only to receive some lip service about how good their guitars are. I ended up returning and went to a competitor.

For the record, here's what I found upon closer inspection:

1. The nut was cut too short and not flush with sides of neck. It was worse on one side than the other.
2. The clear coat had many pin holes and sanding witness marks.
3. Paint bleed all around the binding.
4. A different set of fasteners was used for the bridge pickup and neck pickup which yielded differently shaped screw heads.
5. The fabric tape used to wrap the pickups was slowly unraveling.
6. A few of the pickup pole heads were mildly stripped.
7. All of the bridge pivot posts had stripped heads.
8. Dried rubbing compound everywhere.
9. The pickup selector slot was partially filled with paint/dye, was not fully finished and bare wood was exposed. Also appeared the slot was not long enough so actuating the pickup selector slowly elongated the slot.
10. One of the screw heads holding the bridge spring was stripped.

I'm not going to say that this is suspicious or anything, but that's more issues with one guitar, than the all of the regular forum posters here have with hundreds of them. 10 problems with one guitar... we have hundreds between us here and it would probably take almost all of them to get a list of 10 issues with them. The second issue is, because many of us have dealt with them before, we know PRS customer service is off the hook good. Lip service and no help... Sorry, I don't believe that. A guitar with multiple finish issues is "unheard of" but is "possible." Being blown off by CS when you called to go over these issues... not buying it. Thank you for playing.

Looks like I've ruffled some feathers. Ran out of time to share my back story...

I had been lusting after the core series for several years and finally broke down and bought one. Loved the way it played and sounded but couldn't get past the issues I outlined that frankly, irked the hell out of me for what I paid. Previously I had picked up a Taylor 814 which in my opinion, came from the factory nearly flawless and with a similar price tag, it was my comparison benchmark.

What brought me to this forum is that I have been thinking about giving PRS another shot. Perhaps I had just one of those fluke guitars. I went poking around for QC issues to see if anyone had a problem and I landed here.

I'm not going to say that this is suspicious or anything, but that's more issues with one guitar, than the all of the regular forum posters here have with hundreds of them. 10 problems with one guitar... we have hundreds between us here and it would probably take almost all of them to get a list of 10 issues with them. The second issue is, because many of us have dealt with them before, we know PRS customer service is off the hook good. Lip service and no help... Sorry, I don't believe that. A guitar with multiple finish issues is "unheard of" but is "possible." Being blown off by CS when you called to go over these issues... not buying it. Thank you for playing.

They didn't completely blow me off but it was clear in the response that nothing was going to be done about it unless I really pushed. I didn't want to send in a guitar I just bought for repair so I returned it.

Looks like I've ruffled some feathers. Ran out of time to share my back story...

I had been lusting after the core series for several years and finally broke down and bought one. Loved the way it played and sounded but couldn't get past the issues I outlined that frankly, irked the hell out of me for what I paid. Previously I had picked up a Taylor 814 which in my opinion, came from the factory nearly flawless and with a similar price tag, it was my comparison benchmark.

What brought me to this forum is that I have been thinking about giving PRS another shot. Perhaps I had just one of those fluke guitars. I went poking around for QC issues to see if anyone had a problem and I landed here.

And I had a 900 series Taylor where the paint peeled off the entire circumference of the guitar; they refinished it, and it did it again.

So what. Things happen.

And I had a 900 series Taylor where the paint peeled off the entire circumference of the guitar; they refinished it, and it did it again.

So what. Things happen.

That’s right, things do happen but it was too many for me to bother with.

Well that guy should have
1) described any flaws
2) offered a discount/rebate
3) helped get it straightened out.

Kind of torn between wanting to know who that is, or just leaving it be.

I don’t want to tarnish this person’s reputation so I will leave it at that. My opinion on the matter is this:

A good majority of players wouldn’t really notice or care. I’m anal so for the money I expect a little better attention to the finer details. In that price range, I can compare it to my Taylor or the several Suhrs I’ve looked at so the details are within reach.

Guys, I’m not here to troll. I did simply want to share a story and see if there were others with similar experiences.
I'm not "anal", but I'm also not likely to accept a product that is not as advertised.
I'm also a buyer of 4 PRS guitars sight unseen, and all were flawless. Well that's not true, one had a chip on the headstock (used) but I knew that going in.
The other 3 I have were acquired in person. All flawless.
You or that dealer have the worst luck imaginable.

Last edited:
Guys, I’m not here to troll. I did simply want to share a story and see if there were others with similar experiences.
We are so used to PRS being flawless that I think we lose site of the possible odd manufacturing defect, or guitar, slipping through. I come from the school of thought that the customer is always right. It's their money so what ever their expectations are, they should be met. All PRS are not perfect but I will say that I've never encountered another major guitar manufacturer that goes to greater lengths to try to minimize the possibility of a bad guitar getting out there. And that even carries over into their import lines. I hope you give PRS another shot...I think you'll be glad that you did. Btw, welcome to the forum!

We are so used to PRS being flawless that I think we lose site of the possible odd manufacturing defect, or guitar, slipping through. I come from the school of thought that the customer is always right. It's their money so what ever their expectations are, they should be met. All PRS are not perfect but I will say that I've never encountered another major guitar manufacturer that goes to greater lengths to try to minimize the possibility of a bad guitar getting out there. And that even carries over into their import lines. I hope you give PRS another shot...I think you'll be glad that you did. Btw, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the welcome Cy. I'll probably give PRS another shot as I was impressed with the playability the short time I had my P24.

A good majority of players wouldn’t really notice or care.

Sorry, another comment that doesn’t work here. These are EXPENSIVE guitars. Even on the more affordable models from PRS, I expect perfection. I neither own, nor have played anywhere near the amount of them that some here have. But I own 4 and have played many. And while I don’t consider some buffing compound in the pickup cavity a “flaw” I haven’t seen or played one with noticeable flaws. And I know for a fact, that if you talked to customer service and had a list of 10 flaws in one guitar, they would either A) Immediately contact the dealer to get your guitar back and fix everything or B) tell you to send it directly to them to fix everything (and PRSh would be after someone’s head!).

The Taylor reference is what you SHOULD expect from a PRS. IMO, the two best in the biz. I own 3 Taylors and they are the only other company I’d compare to PRS from both a quality, consistency and top customer service standpoint... from personal experience. There might be others that are as good, but these two I can vouch for as absolute TOP of the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope you do give PRS another shot. I’ve owned more than 30 from model years ranging from ‘87 to 2018 and I have NEVER had one I would consider returning. Sure, I had a couple of issues along the way. I had a mini toggle fail on a new guitar that also had a bad solder joint. PTC took care of it in a few weeks. I have a 2011 DC-22 that developed finish peeling along the fret board. Sent that in a couple of months ago. Again, the PTC took care of it. Can’t really think of better customer service that I have had on both new, and used, guitars. Frankly, PRS is one of few brands that I would buy without playing. Hope you can share this experience as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back