PRS QC Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always had great dealings with Sweetwater, so I was wincing a bit when I read about the sales push-back on the exchange, but I imagine they'll be very much involved in working with PRS PTC to make this right.

OP - if you love the guitar's tone and playability, better this route with a wait, then to exchange. My 2 cents.
I'm leaning that way.

I’ve owned about 35-36 PRS Core Models and Private Stocks over the last 29 years, and played a whole bunch more. What happened with yours is truly unusual.

The right thing to do is exactly what you’re doing. Be calm, they’ll take care of you (and my experience is that PRS is more efficient than Sweetwater). Other than the repair needed, the guitar looks great, by the way!

Last edited:
I’ve owned about 35-36 PRS Core Models and Private Stocks over the last 29 years, and played a whole bunch more. What happened with yours is truly unusual.

The right thing to do is exactly what you’re doing. Be calm, they’ll take care of you (and my experience is that PRS is more efficient than Sweetwater). Other than the repair needed, the guitar looks great, by the way!
Thanks.

Yeah......that's my issue. I didn't pay almost 4k to have a guitar repaired. I keep hearing they do great work but they manufactured the guitar to specific specifications/tolerances.... Now they want to start sanding on the guitar and move to the end of those tolerances....... will that work alter the guitar sound? This situation is making me paranoid and causing me undue dress.

If you look at my avatar picture, the 2nd one from the right (the white guitar) started out as a yellow KL1812 with moon inlays. Now, it has a brand new fretboard with bird inlays, white wash finish with new black grain filler, and new electronic holes were drilled into the guitar for a Paul's Guitar configuration. To do all of that work, the original finish had to be sanded back down to the bare wood, the existing fretboard had to be removed for a new one, and the whole guitar needed to be refinished.

Oh, and I added an adjustable stoptail instead of the non-adjustable. Sonically, it's maybe a bit more articulate because of the brass saddles for the new bridge, but outside of that and new switching capabilities, it's the same guitar. I wouldn't be paranoid by this at all. It's really going to sound great and look great once it's done.

I would let PTC fix it if you love it. I have a PRS that had a masking issue when they sprayed the burst. I bothers me some but not enough to send it back to PTC. Yet anyway. :) No one is perfect in this world but I will say otherwise the guitar is absolutely stunning and is the best playing guitar in my collection and I have an amazing old Kramer Pacer that I thought could never be beat for its feel. When I was looking for a new guitar it was the benchmark. Good or great guitars are out there but amazing guitars don’t come around as often as we would wish they would. Currently PRS Is almost as good as it gets.

I have a friend who used to work at PRS and he says they are guitars made with love. I honestly believe him. Give them a chance to work some magic on it.

If you look at my avatar picture, the 2nd one from the right (the white guitar) started out as a yellow KL1812 with moon inlays. Now, it has a brand new fretboard with bird inlays, white wash finish with new black grain filler, and new electronic holes were drilled into the guitar for a Paul's Guitar configuration. To do all of that work, the original finish had to be sanded back down to the bare wood, the existing fretboard had to be removed for a new one, and the whole guitar needed to be refinished.

Oh, and I added an adjustable stoptail instead of the non-adjustable. Sonically, it's maybe a bit more articulate because of the brass saddles for the new bridge, but outside of that and new switching capabilities, it's the same guitar. I wouldn't be paranoid by this at all. It's really going to sound great and look great once it's done.

WTF?!?! Where is the thread about this guitar? And where are the pictures?

Dude! That sounds Bangin’!

Straight up word!
WTF?!?! Where is the thread about this guitar? And where are the pictures?

Dude! That sounds Bangin’!

Haha...eh, it takes so much effort to post!
6I5LQfe8S7SifdI0oGYnSA_zpsvtljcrty.jpg

E84EE345-EA19-4197-916C-124CF626AA4B_zpsz5ahcnis.jpg

Thanks fellas! Some would say I'm effin' crazy for investing in this rebuild....and they would be right! But man, is it a great guitar and truly one of a kind.

I don’t think you’re crazy at ALL!

You’ve got a one of a kind, badass, cool guitar, and it was redone at the factory to boot. It’s like a brand-new guitar, done to PRS standards. I mean, wow!

I would be very surprised if that left PRS in that condition! That would surely have been picked up by any of the QC checks before it moves on to 'buffing' for example, before they added the hardware. Its not just '1' final check as its put in the case that missed it, but would have been picked up at 'numerous' other QC check points after it left the spray booth.

I don't know how old your guitar is to know how long it could have been hanging around at Sweetwater, whether it was out on display for months allowing customers to come in, play it and possibly knock the edge on a stand, against other guitars hanging up etc. If its hung sideways (as some do to cram more guitars into a smaller area), It may of knocked against something on the edge causing a bit of damage. There is often a LOT of potential for guitars to be less than 'perfect' after they leave PRS and their 'final' check as they are cased ready to ship out. All the 'hangtag' states is that the guitar was 'passed' to be shipped on that specific day.

My latest guitar for example, was fit to leave on 11th Jan 19. I received it 26th June 19 and the shop said it came into them in April. That's nearly 6months after it was cased - it was then shipped to PRS Europe for a Rep to take round to different stores who may of picked it up out of its case, eventually selected by a store for them to sell who would then handle it to take photo's to upload on their internet pages, may even of been hung on the wall for months for customers to try it before buying (or just try it because its a 'Special' guitar) and then do their usual check, set-up and clean before it gets shipped to the customer - in this case Me.

Point is, all the hangtag states is that the guitar was checked and passed as fit to leave PRS on the day indicated on the hangtag. If your guitar is older than mine was - a 2018 or older, that means it could have been hanging in store for months ans months. The 'damage' could have occurred because of the way it was 'handled' and displayed. If it's hung sideways for example to fit more guitars in a smaller area, the edge could of been knocked by people taking it down and putting it back up or even by the guitar it was next to as that was taken down or put back.

I cannot believe that this wasn't picked up by the buffers, by the person that installs the hardware, the person that does the set-up and the person that gives it a final check before its cased ready to go to a retailer. There are numerous other steps after the spray booth that are also part of the QC process too. If I had to put money on it, I would think that has occurred between it leaving PRS and you receiving it. If it was something off in the spray booth (for example) it wouldn't just affect the edges and it certainly would have been picked up by the person who buffed it. Even if it wasn't, the chances that it was missed as the guitar moved through the final areas and then sent out like that is very unlikely.

Anyway, I hope they sort it out for you and I do think that would be the best option - even if you have to go without for a while. You know exactly what you are getting, how it sounds and plays - even the quality of the grain too if that matters to you.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if that left PRS in that condition! That would surely have been picked up by any of the QC checks before it moves on to 'buffing' for example, before they added the hardware. Its not just '1' final check as its put in the case that missed it, but would have been picked up at 'numerous' other QC check points after it left the spray booth.

I don't know how old your guitar is to know how long it could have been hanging around at Sweetwater, whether it was out on display for months allowing customers to come in, play it and possibly knock the edge on a stand, against other guitars hanging up etc. If its hung sideways (as some do to cram more guitars into a smaller area), It may of knocked against something on the edge causing a bit of damage. There is often a LOT of potential for guitars to be less than 'perfect' after they leave PRS and their 'final' check as they are cased ready to ship out. All the 'hangtag' states is that the guitar was 'passed' to be shipped on that specific day.

My latest guitar for example, was fit to leave on 11th Jan 19. I received it 26th June 19 and the shop said it came into them in April. That's nearly 6months after it was cased - it was then shipped to PRS Europe for a Rep to take round to different stores who may of picked it up out of its case, eventually selected by a store for them to sell who would then handle it to take photo's to upload on their internet pages, may even of been hung on the wall for months for customers to try it before buying (or just try it because its a 'Special' guitar) and then do their usual check, set-up and clean before it gets shipped to the customer - in this case Me.

Point is, all the hangtag states is that the guitar was checked and passed as fit to leave PRS on the day indicated on the hangtag. If your guitar is older than mine was - a 2018 or older, that means it could have been hanging in store for months ans months. The 'damage' could have occurred because of the way it was 'handled' and displayed. If it's hung sideways for example to fit more guitars in a smaller area, the edge could of been knocked by people taking it down and putting it back up or even by the guitar it was next to as that was taken down or put back.

I cannot believe that this wasn't picked up by the buffers, by the person that installs the hardware, the person that does the set-up and the person that gives it a final check before its cased ready to go to a retailer. There are numerous other steps after the spray booth that are also part of the QC process too. If I had to put money on it, I would think that has occurred between it leaving PRS and you receiving it. If it was something off in the spray booth (for example) it wouldn't just affect the edges and it certainly would have been picked up by the person who buffed it. Even if it wasn't, the chances that it was missed as the guitar moved through the final areas and then sent out like that is very unlikely.

Anyway, I hope they sort it out for you and I do think that would be the best option - even if you have to go without for a while. You know exactly what you are getting, how it sounds and plays - even the quality of the grain too if that matters to you.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing any chips or dings in those pics that would indicate the guitar has been handled roughly or abused. To my, admittedly untrained eye, it looks just like the OP described, a rough wood edge that wasn't properly finish sanded before the top coat was applied.

To the OP, I really would let PTC deal with it if that guitar speaks to you.
Yeah......that's my issue. I didn't pay almost 4k to have a guitar repaired. I keep hearing they do great work but they manufactured the guitar to specific specifications/tolerances.... Now they want to start sanding on the guitar and move to the end of those tolerances....... will that work alter the guitar sound? This situation is making me paranoid and causing me undue dress.
Perfectly understandable, but I can't imagine a repair that small is going to alter your guitar sound enough for you to ever notice. Again if that was the guitar that spoke to you, I'd definitely go the PTC route instead of taking a chance of exchanging for a similar guitar that may not have the same mojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back