PRS Newb - Pattern Vintage at the right price

Ape2000

Hey there,

I got to borrow a friend's S2 594 SC a few months ago. Really liked the finish (faded blue smoke burst); but, what stuck out to me was the neck carve. I am a average-tall guy, with big hands. The pattern vintage neck felt amazing in my hands, and the nut was a great width. I felt like a much better guitar player than I do on a lot of guitars.

Since then, I've bought and sold a Music Man (guitar I long wanted to try)...nice guitar, but I couldn't with the narrow nut. I now own a Knaggs Kenai that I bought off a TGP'er who himself was looking for a McCarty. Fantastic axe; but, I'm really missing the PV neck! I believe it had a satin or nitro finish as well.

I'm considering either getting an S2 and spending a little on pickups, or maybe trying to trade or use the cash from selling the Knaggs for a deal on a core. That particular Knaggs has a ding or two, probably valued at around $2k.

Can a core 594 be found at or under $2k? I'm not going to ask if it's "worth" holding out and having for a core vs. an S2 - I know there's tons of threads there.

I'm pretty cool with a "player-grade" guitar. Doesn't have be a 10 top, artist package, etc. I do have color preferences, but that's about where it ends for me with cosmetic preferences.

Cheers!
Raf

I’m constantly snooping around on TGP and other places for a while even though I’m new here. I’ve never seen a core 594 anywhere near that low. I’d sell the Knaggs (I have a Steckel) when you can make up the difference in cash for a Core. A 2020 10 top SC 594 went to a member here yesterday that was only on TGP for a couple of hours. Ask was under 3k.

I’m constantly snooping around on TGP and other places for a while even though I’m new here. I’ve never seen a core 594 anywhere near that low. I’d sell the Knaggs (I have a Steckel) when you can make up the difference in cash for a Core. A 2020 10 top SC 594 went to a member here yesterday that was only on TGP for a couple of hours. Ask was under 3k.
Good to know! This is a year I've really gotten to be mindful of guitar ergonomics, even get a nicer strap. The Pattern Vintage on the 594 is just addictive to me.

I don’t think your going to find a used Core 594 for under $2k. Under $3k, yes. It seems that used prices have been on the rise during these Covid times. Prior to pandemic, you might see one for $2,300 or $2,100. There are a couple of S2 594s on Reverb right now for less than $1,200

Yeah, seems like mid-high $2k range is most realistic, albeit a bit idealistic. I can probably work with that. Seems like a worthwhile investment by all accounts. There's a guy nearby who has a few core 594s for sale, so I think I'll see where that road takes me.

Yeah, I've stalked 594s for like 3+ years just for fun (way out of my budget)...I still haven't found a single one for $2K-ish. I'm sure somone, somewhere was desperate enough to sell one, but I haven't seen it. They are spectacular guitars on every level and the re-sell prices definitely back up that opinion.

Yeah, seems like mid-high $2k range is most realistic, albeit a bit idealistic. I can probably work with that. Seems like a worthwhile investment by all accounts. There's a guy nearby who has a few core 594s for sale, so I think I'll see where that road takes me.
Great model, for sure. I’ve had a few, and still have two.

Yeah, I've stalked 594s for like 3+ years just for fun (way out of my budget)...I still haven't found a single one for $2K-ish. I'm sure somone, somewhere was desperate enough to sell one, but I haven't seen it. They are spectacular guitars on every level and the re-sell prices definitely back up that opinion.

I can definitely see that. Even checking sold listings on a few site I can tell. And they're almost always in pristine condition. If people sell them, they like them, just want a different flavor.

I think most people who have "better" guitars do take better care of them. That's why used premium guitars can be a steal. Once you understand how many PRSi are magic, you don't settle. You realize you can have exactly what you dream of in both the model and color.
Nailed it!

The 594 is still too new and selling well I think to see the catastrophic drop in values the other manufacturers usually see.. I'm sure the math is also different due to the amount of guitars being made at PRS vs other manufacturers, etc ...

PRS has definitely improved in building consumer value in the last 10 years , thats evident by the line to order new instruments. Its very similar to how some brands handle new product (i.e. Porsche or Ferrari) , its goal is to sell but also protect their existing consumer's investments

Thats a good thing in that while it may be a little mountain to climb to get to the minimum almost $3k to get in the door, but it doesn't evaporate once you leave the lot unlike other way bigger or even way smaller brands...

Back