PRS In Church?

Absolutely glorious!
That was a quick turnaround for such a well put together video.
Your PRS sounded fantastic.
Thanks! PRS+Kemper and mesa TA15 profiles (home brewn).

This was a livestream, actively directed. So no podt editing necessary

What amp(s) are you using with the POD?
After a lot of experimentation I've settled on the Twin Reverb model. Also using a 2x12 IR. I got a few different amp models from Worship Tutorials but I can't remeber if this particular IR came with the Twin Reverb or not.

I like it a lot. Most of the songs call for a good clean tone and the Twin excells at that. But it's got some "umph" to it. A very "robust" type of clean where the higher strings actually have some strength to them. Adding some Drive from the amp model helps a lot in that regard. It's not distorted but it really added that umph I mentioned. I also found it makes a great platform for some external OD pedals that I use.

I get compliments all the time on how good it sounds.

My modded SE Custom 24 will make its church debut this Sunday! It will also be the first time in probably over 40 years that I’ve played electric in church. (Pray for me) I was invited to play bass while the teens lead worship. I talked them into letting me play lead on Glorious Day, because it really needs those hooks. Here’s the song list:
Same God C
A Thousand Hallelujas C
What A Beautiful Name D
Glorious Day D

I FINALLY get to use my modded SE Custom 24 in church!
Here’s the song list for this Sunday:

All Creatures Of My God And King C - D
Always C
Only A Holy God D
Worthy Of It All Eb

This thread is kinda dead. We gotta get this going again.

Yeah, we need more participants!

Last sunday I served in a service that revolved around "come to me, all who are weary". Worship reflected that and it was actually a very blessed service.

Yeah, we need more participants!

Last sunday I served in a service that revolved around "come to me, all who are weary". Worship reflected that and it was actually a very blessed service.

Very nice.

I FINALLY get to use my modded SE Custom 24 in church!
Here’s the song list for this Sunday:

All Creatures Of My God And King C - D
Always C
Only A Holy God D
Worthy Of It All Eb

This thread is kinda dead. We gotta get this going again.

A song in Eb… we’ll be praying for you.

Always hated it when those oddball, guitar-unfriendly keys popped up in a mostly guitar worship set. One of the hardest things about playing in worship was keys like that where everything is a barre, or you have to capo and totally transcribe to a very different key, electrics hate capos on low frets so you can’t just go capo 1 and play it in D.

We’ve been trying a couple local churches recently, the whole cultural/political/religious intersection of Covid and US politics, especially as it related to attitudes of church members in our part of the country, was just not something we felt was in line with our beliefs. Especially with the factor of being HCP’s actually responsible for other people. Which, I’m not trying to get into that whole thing, just now that things have thawed somewhat, we’re back out there. It’s been interesting to see the trends in rigs, I don’t think I’ve seen anything but digital, amp-less rigs. Lots of Teles still, Gretsch, I think a Dusenberg a couple weeks ago, but I have seen a couple oddballs that warm my heart - LP, Firebird. But never anything straight up funky. No PRS though, which is kinda funny to me - guitar wise, the players seem like old school purists, but they have their digital rigs downstream.

Practice went really well. No nerves. Very few clams. Felt like I never stopped playing. The WL was very pleased with how my guitar sounded.

Yay God!

I’ll try to remember to post an “office shot” on Sunday morning.
Cool and please do!!

And in Eb, capo IV is your friend. But that is definately a key that is unpleasant with a guitar, especially if it is isolated in the set. How hard is it to make it E or D?

A song in Eb… we’ll be praying for you.

Always hated it when those oddball, guitar-unfriendly keys popped up in a mostly guitar worship set. One of the hardest things about playing in worship was keys like that where everything is a barre, or you have to capo and totally transcribe to a very different key, electrics hate capos on low frets so you can’t just go capo 1 and play it in D.

We’ve been trying a couple local churches recently, the whole cultural/political/religious intersection of Covid and US politics, especially as it related to attitudes of church members in our part of the country, was just not something we felt was in line with our beliefs. Especially with the factor of being HCP’s actually responsible for other people. Which, I’m not trying to get into that whole thing, just now that things have thawed somewhat, we’re back out there. It’s been interesting to see the trends in rigs, I don’t think I’ve seen anything but digital, amp-less rigs. Lots of Teles still, Gretsch, I think a Dusenberg a couple weeks ago, but I have seen a couple oddballs that warm my heart - LP, Firebird. But never anything straight up funky. No PRS though, which is kinda funny to me - guitar wise, the players seem like old school purists, but they have their digital rigs downstream.
The situation differs from country to country I guess.

For guitars; we see the same set of guitars, with the occasional eastman ES type guitar sprinkled in for fun. I am the only 100% PRS player, but that has also a lot to do with the costs. A PRS is a big bill to pick up, for a lot of players. A second hand Core vs a custom built tele is not a good proposition for a lot of guys. There are some SE's floating around, DGTs, in our congregation and sister churches, but they see no action in church.

Fun thing is that everybody pre covid - except for this guy - was all about the toobzzz and big pedalboard. I was the odd one out, but now there is no amp in sight anymore and everybody has a digital direct solution. Good riddance, because a maxed out drive pedal in a very clean fender type amp gives me the wrong kind of goosebumps. Understandably it works like that, because of the noise restrictions, but the goosed edge of breakup amp sims (being Kemper, helix, iridium or tonex) work a LOT better.

A capo is your friend. Just ask Glen Campbell.

Eb? Use a capo and play it with C or D fingering.

Bb? Use a capo and play it with G or D fingering.

That's what Glen did.

Although you might need a psychic to verify that...

Cool and please do!!

And in Eb, capo IV is your friend. But that is definately a key that is unpleasant with a guitar, especially if it is isolated in the set. How hard is it to make it E or D?
We have som songs with 7 or 8 charts, each 1/2 step from each other.

A capo is your friend. Just ask Glen Campbell.

Eb? Use a capo and play it with C or D fingering.

Bb? Use a capo and play it with G or D fingering.

That's what Glen did.

Although you might need a psychic to verify that...
Being strictly a bass player for over two decades, I became pretty familiar with moving patterns around on the fingerboard. These songs don’t require a C shape fingering to sound right (that’s the shape that I’m most likely to use a capo on), so I’m going without.

Tough gig.

I used to play in the band at Unity of Boulder. Did it for years.,

Rehearsal one hour before the service and we never knew what songs we'd be doing.

Sometimes no charts.

Loved it tho.
Sorry, I misspoke. In our repertoire of a couple hundred songs at this point, we have the same song sometimes charted in all of those different keys. Make one wonder why they cant stretch their vocal chords 1/2 step.

Back