PRS guitarist?

The Les Pauls frequently turn to mud but I understand in a 3-piece the girth can be nice.

I dunno... ...I think almost the exact opposite is true. The great thing about a guitar-bass-drums format is how much sonic space is available for each instrument, and if there's too much low end on the guitar (which IMO is a characteristic flaw with modern Gibson Les Pauls that's made worse by how many guitar players use too much bass on their amps) it muddles up the mix by conflicting with the bass and the kick drum & toms. Strats (Hendrix! Robin Trower!) and Teles (Andy Summers in the Police!) work great in trios. SGs (Clapton in Cream!) too. And old Les Pauls -- the sound of early Clapton, Kossoff, ZZ Top, but those were with vintage Marshalls, by and large with the bass all the way off (or nearly so, if not live, by the engineer who recorded them) and that's a very different sound than what the guy in Rush uses.

Not that I'd know. I'm not much of a fan. :p

Well, Mark Tremonti's my favourite PRS guitarist, but Guthrie Govan is my favourite guitarist out of all (and he plays PRS previously!).

I would love to see Guthrie with a PRS now that he's playing with Steven Wilson, but that new Charvel signature model of his is just gorgeous.

My favorite PRS guitarists are Alex Lifeson, Steven Wilson and Dweezil Zappa.

I don't believe Schon uses PRS exclusively. Don't care for him very much. Prefer to see Lowery or Tremonti. Seen both Sevendust and Alterbridge many times live.

Northern Irelands Fret tickler Simon Mcbride is my favourite Prs user. So much so he got me into Prs guitars. I now own a custom 24 and a stripped 58.

Definitely Big Al...during his PRS phase... Power Windows-ish onward for a bit...(which fit his style, I thought?!?!?) I always seem to have a David Grissom CD in the van...and John McLaughlin, who was one of my faves before he touched a PRS.

I dunno... ...I think almost the exact opposite is true. The great thing about a guitar-bass-drums format is how much sonic space is available for each instrument, and if there's too much low end on the guitar (which IMO is a characteristic flaw with modern Gibson Les Pauls that's made worse by how many guitar players use too much bass on their amps) it muddles up the mix by conflicting with the bass and the kick drum & toms. Strats (Hendrix! Robin Trower!) and Teles (Andy Summers in the Police!) work great in trios. SGs (Clapton in Cream!) too. And old Les Pauls -- the sound of early Clapton, Kossoff, ZZ Top, but those were with vintage Marshalls, by and large with the bass all the way off (or nearly so, if not live, by the engineer who recorded them) and that's a very different sound than what the guy in Rush uses.

Not that I'd know. I'm not much of a fan. :p

I was speaking more in terms of specifically Alex Lifeson. Alex uses quite a lot of distortion and effects, and with the LPs I feel there is a lot of definition lost. This was less true in the early days when he was using a lot less gain. When he plays his PRS you can hear every note/string clearly no matter what else is going on. By contrast, Page is another of my favorites and I think his live tone with a LP is fantastic - in fact, because it is stripped down so much compared to what's on the studio records in some ways I prefer it.

Could you really imagine Brian Setzer playing anything other than Gretsch 6120? I think it's just him, and he wouldn't be him without it, lol.

I could picture him collecting PRS guitars for fun (hell, everyone has to have at least one PRS in their collection!), or maybe rock a PRS acoustic someday, but there's no way he'd be shredding rockabilly on a Custom 24. No freaking way. :rofl: Same goes for Clapton. Can't imagine him shaking the neck of a PRS DC3 mid-solo.

Tim Mahoney of 311 for me. He's the one who got me interested in PRS years ago, and still my favorite (same could be said for P-Nut and Warwick, and the reason I own a Streamer Stage II and a P-Nut II Sig model)

I was speaking more in terms of specifically Alex Lifeson. Alex uses quite a lot of distortion and effects, and with the LPs I feel there is a lot of definition lost. This was less true in the early days when he was using a lot less gain. When he plays his PRS you can hear every note/string clearly no matter what else is going on.

I think 'Counterparts' has gotta be one of the best 'PRS' records out there... although there are definitely other guitars on that record (such as obvious Telecaster during 'Cold Fire') - overall it's heavy on the CE24s, and it's a great tone. I don't think it would be much better with his LPs.

Now that said, I was listening to some live stuff the other day from the Snakes & Arrows tour and I'm impressed with how close he got to some of those mid-80s Strat tones with his Axcess LP. Shows how important the effects chains are/were methinks (not to mention the validation of the 'tone is mainly in the fingers' argument).

Edit: seeing Alex play 'Time Stand Still' with the NF3 on the Time Machine tour made me forget all about his late-80's 'Signature' brand guitars...!

Last edited:
I first heard about PRS, as band's I enjoyed as I got into playing were playing them like POD's Marcos Curiel, Switchfoot's Jon Foreman, and Chevelle's Pete Loeffer. Now my favourite bands are different and the only PRS user in the group is Minus the Bear's Dave Knudson (who is an awesome guitar player check him out, lots of two handed tapping stuff old Math-Rock influenced)

I'm going with Phil Keaggy and a signature model. He has a PRS pickup in his 71 Les Paul Deluxe so he's part way there.

I was going through some pictures of a concert I went to last fall (free concert, woohoo), and got to see Aranda... Pretty killer band, good mix of blues, rock, funk, country, name it, you could probably pick out some genre that influenced their sound. Anywho, I just noticed this...

(click images for full size)

Last edited:
Santana - Neal Schon (gives the "song of the wind" chills), Tremonti. But the real reason I picked up a PRS years ago (besides a Modern Eagle ad in a GW magazine in year 1999) is due to two of my favorite musicians using PRSs and being endorsed by them: Mikael Åkerfeldt and Steven Wilson.

I wish Daniel Gildenlöw was endorsed by PRS, but his band is unknown to many and he already has a great endorsement with Mayones guitars (amazing Polish guitar company). Other than that, I've always wished Steve Hackett moving away from Fernandes to PRS. An SC245 in goldtop with a sustainer in the neck position and a floyd rose. But after talking to him about guitars, I don't think it would happen.

Last edited:
I was curious who your favorite PRS guitarist?I noticed there are so many play them and for good reason.A few jumped out at me All Dimeloa,Alex Lifeson,Marty Friedman,Neil Schon and Santana.My favorite of that group would have to be Alex Lifeson IMO most underated guitarist out there and I'm not even a big Rush fan.

Carlos Santana and Ted Nugent.

Back