PRS Custom: A Short History

Keith Williams

Hi Everyone,
I'm pretty new here but I'd just made a video on the History of the Custom 24 sort what better place to share that than here. The folks at PRS actually encouraged me to share it with you. I'm sure there's at least one mis-spoken moment in the video (I say, "Hot FAST and Screams" for HFS, I know, I know, camera fever is my excuse) where I got something wrong but I'm sure I can count on you to point out anything else I may have missed. I've made a number of others of these Short Histories on gear you might like. I'm just a guitar player with an overactive sense of curiosity, so I have a long list of things I wish to know the "real" story on.

Thanks in advance for checking it out.
Keith
five watt world

Hi Everyone,
I'm pretty new here but I'd just made a video on the History of the Custom 24 sort what better place to share that than here. The folks at PRS actually encouraged me to share it with you. I'm sure there's at least one mis-spoken moment in the video (I say, "Hot FAST and Screams" for HFS, I know, I know, camera fever is my excuse) where I got something wrong but I'm sure I can count on you to point out anything else I may have missed. I've made a number of others of these Short Histories on gear you might like. I'm just a guitar player with an overactive sense of curiosity, so I have a long list of things I wish to know the "real" story on.

Thanks in advance for checking it out.
Keith
five watt world

Hey, this is great, we were just talking about it in another thread! Thanks for the video, I feel like I learned a few things I never knew before!

Ok, I have to admit... I kinda rolled my eyes when I saw the thread title (posted by a ‘noob’) and prepared to cringe as the video started. I was expecting all sorts of errors.

And guess what? I totally enjoyed it. It was exceptionally well researched, narrated, and edited. And while new here, you are clearly not a ‘noob’. Thank you for sharing this, Keith. Great job! I’ll be checking out your other videos shortly.

Since you asked for feedback, consider adding 53/10's to the 57/08 and 59/09 segment. They may be discontinued but have developed a cult-like fan-base.

Last edited:
The PRS documentary was incredible. I have to say that after watching many of your videos, that the research and editing is first rate on all of them. Have to warn you guys though, if you watch one, it’s going to send you down the rabbit hole and you are going to have to watch all of his videos. They are just THAT good.

-k

Thanks for posting this Keith. I have been watching your videos for a while and you are a big reason I bought the DGT (It's a different matter I have swapped the pickups, tuned it to C# and turned it into the DGT of doom. Who knew?)

Anyway the video is great and I was pleasantly surprised that even a PRS aficionado like me learnt a lot from it.

You clearly did your research. Thank you

Keith. As was already mentioned, I always like your videos. Except that one that eluded to owning only one guitar. LOL OK that one was good too.

Ok, I have to admit... I kinda rolled my eyes when I saw the thread title (posted by a ‘noob’) and prepared to cringe as the video started. I was expecting all sorts of errors.

And guess what? I totally enjoyed it. It was exceptionally well researched, narrated, and edited. And while new here, you are clearly not a ‘noob’. Thank you for sharing this, Keith. Great job! I’ll be checking out your other videos shortly.

Since you asked for feedback, consider adding 53/10's to the 57/08 and 59/09 segment. They may be discontinued but have developed a cult-like fan-base.

I yearn for "noob" status in anything at 59 years old. :) . I remember when the 58/10's came out and after your post I looked up some used ones. dang! I think making the video (about 45 minutes of editing for each minute on-screen) seeped into my brain and I bought an S2 Mira Semi-hollow from Chuck Levin's THEN I bought a 2008 Mira that had the original run 57/08's in it (other non-noobs will remember the promotion in 08-09 where if you bought a new PRS they would swap out the pickups to any of your choice.) . The '08 arrived yesterday and while I prefer the 22 fret S2 guitars, that '08 sounded great. I'll change out the string today to my preferred heavy top set (Derek Trucks' 11, 14,15, 26, 36, 46) set and see what sort of voice she has. Sigh, if I decide to keep the '08 I'll have to go looking for pickups. Which will no doubt send me back here for advice.

Two questions.....did you buy the mint colored Mira in New Jersey? And do you live in the DMV? If you don’t like the Mira with 57/08’s talk to me, we can work something out. If you live in the DMV, then you better go to PRS experience. I’ve also seen a number of your videos, and have always enjoyed them. Come back often, and in case you didn’t know, Angry Larry is now working at Chuck’s.

Back