PRS Body Thickness - The Definitive Guide

justmund

Plank Spanker
and possibly completely unreliable :p

I've started compiling a bit of info on the various body and cap thicknesses of PRS Guitars. A fair bit of this is second hand info, with a lot of it coming from a VR thread which states that all maples caps on US models are 0.804", and standard (e.g. CU24) "body" thickness is 1.125".

Obviously there's a lot of models missing from this list, e.g. there's no SE info, so if anyone can get busy with a set of calipers and post up the info, I'll do my best to keep an updated list.

I'm assuming the thickest part of a carved top guitar would be at the bridge, so getting an accurate measurement might be difficult with standard calipers.

Also keen to get confirmation of any of the measurements. I do know the SC list isn't complete, looking for the original Singlecut thickness (apparently thicker than SCT but thinner than SC-58)

Anyway thought it might make for an interesting forum project :)

PRS%20Body%20Thickness.jpg

Interesting stuff.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Paul's Guitar and the Al Di models are the same thickness as the McCarty. I don't have micrometer to measure them though.

Ok, your first SE...

I don't have callipers so measurements may be out a mill or two. SE's don't have much carve so I can get a pretty accurate reading where the neck meets the body on the strap button side.

Bernie Marsden

Overall body thickness:

53 - 54mm

Maple cap thickness:

11.5 - 12mm (no idea how thick the veneer is but may as well include it in cap thickness).

Interesting - I compared my Tremonti and DGT by sight the other day, and they were a lot closer than I expected. Looking at the chart, I'm not crazy - about a quarter-inch. Probably helps explain some of the warmer tone w/the DGT vs. some of the other double-cuts.

Any idea about the McCarty Singlecut? I'm pretty sure it is thicker than the 'Lp Style/SC245/Stripped 58/Tremonti/SC58' group.

Ok, your first SE...

I don't have callipers so measurements may be out a mill or two. SE's don't have much carve so I can get a pretty accurate reading where the neck meets the body on the strap button side.

Bernie Marsden

Overall body thickness:

53 - 54mm

Maple cap thickness:

11.5 - 12mm (no idea how thick the veneer is but may as well include it in cap thickness).
The veneer is probably about 0.6 mm, if you have a look at @davegixer Tremonti project!

Here's the measurements of my collection

SE Santana (2013)
32.5mm Mahogany Body
13.5mm Veneered Maple Cap

SE Tremonti (2010)
SE Soapbar (2004)
46mm Mahogany Body

SE Bernie Marsden (2011)
SE Marty Friedman (2014)
SE Tremonti Custom (2014)

42.5mm Thick Mahogany Body
13.5mm Flamed Veneered Maple Cap

SE Nick Catanese (2010)
56.mm Mahogany Body

My Son's
SE Singlecut Trem (2012)
32.5mm Mahogany Body
13.5mm Veneered Maple Cap

SE 245 Standard (2015)

56mm Mahogany Body

Hey sorry to resurrect this post, but at what part of the body are these measurements taken?

Back