Private Stock CE?

RAM Engineer

Has anyone owned/commissioned a Private Stock CE guitar? I've got a wacky idea for a dream CE22 that I was thinking about making reality.

Depending on specs, would a PS CE guitar be commensurately lower cost than a PS Custom, just as the regular CE vs Custom range? I'm trying to plan for funding, but I don't want to waste a PS dealer's time if it would just be a fantasy exercise.

This guitar would be kind of an amalgam based on guitars used by Alex Lifeson between 1980-2000s. Namely, the Hentor Sportscasters, CE24s, and NF3.

CE22
Mahogany/Maple body
Quartersawn Maple neck (Satin Finish)
Ebony fretboard w/ ring dots
HSS pickups
Bridge Pickup either 85/15 or 58/15LT+
Middle and Neck Narrowfield pickups
3 position toggle (B, M+N, N)
Coil Split on Bridge (push-pull pot)

Everything else would be standard Custom hardware: Gen III Bridge, Phase III tuners, etc. The jury is still out on color/finish.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Jason

Has anyone owned/commissioned a Private Stock CE guitar? I've got a wacky idea for a dream CE22 that I was thinking about making reality.

Depending on specs, would a PS CE guitar be commensurately lower cost than a PS Custom, just as the regular CE vs Custom range? I'm trying to plan for funding, but I don't want to waste a PS dealer's time if it would just be a fantasy exercise.

This guitar would be kind of an amalgam based on guitars used by Alex Lifeson between 1980-2000s. Namely, the Hentor Sportscasters, CE24s, and NF3.

CE22
Mahogany/Maple body
Quartersawn Maple neck (Satin Finish)
Ebony fretboard w/ ring dots
HSS pickups
Bridge Pickup either 85/15 or 58/15LT+
Middle and Neck Narrowfield pickups
3 position toggle (B, M+N, N)
Coil Split on Bridge (push-pull pot)

Everything else would be standard Custom hardware: Gen III Bridge, Phase III tuners, etc. The jury is still out on color/finish.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Jason
Your best bet is to reach out to a dealer. They would send you a pricing sheet to fill out, and get you a quote. There is a starting point for a Private Stock, regardless of what you spec. The price goes up from there depending on what you spec.

Some dealers may even have an online form, with drop downs, that you can fill out and submit for a quote. IIRC, Guitar Sanctuary was one of the dealers that had this feature on their website.

Depending on specs, would a PS CE guitar be commensurately lower cost than a PS Custom, just as the regular CE vs Custom range?

No. In the old days, “yes”, but not now. Now, there is a minimum base price regardless of the model. However, as long as you stick to a guitar configuration already programmed for the carve, it won’t incur an up charge.

I have not built (although I used to own) a CE PS, but I have built a PS bolt-on:

Last edited:
There is a PS CE out there somewhere.
It was built with two different interchangeable necks.
That’s all I got.

I used to own it. It was a solana burst flame top. I have a picture somewhere. I bought it from the original owner. He wanted a baseball bat (think R8) neck, and was not happy with the original neck carve so they made him a 2nd neck, and it was beefy! Interesting enough, Tom was also the guy that Gibson made the first cloud nine LP for. He had scoliosis.

Last edited:
I think it being a PS would invalidate the reasons why a CE is cheaper (imported hardware, ease of production, etc...)

Someone once told me that they discontinued the original CEs because they were more trouble to make than regular CUs, thats why they revived them with different features.

I think what you would want is a PS Bolt On Custom 22/24.

Back