Pioneers

My second cousin once removed, whose name was Melvin of Ur, invented the wheel. Unfortunately, no one knew what to do with it at the time, and he died unfulfilled, an obscure figure time forgot.

Never made a nickel from it, and yet it was so important that people reinvent it daily.

Fortunately, his grandson Axel of Babylon invented the axle. But even though the invention was named after him, they misspelled it.

5,000 years from now, people are going to be saying stuff like, “Who invented the accordion?”

And no one will know. Heck, no one knows now. I knew the guy who invented comedy. He was a genius, people didn’t even know how to laugh before he invented it. But I forgot his name.

Sic transit gloria.

Didn’t he used to play with Slash? Also invented guns and some prickly flower?

Society is built on successes. One person learns how to build a fire and another learns to cook. One person learns how to make bricks and another learns how to build a home. Today would have been Jimi Hendrix’s 76th birthday and I can’t help but think about his impact on guitar playing and music in general. Jimi not only built on the advances of others, he was a pioneer. Just like what Michael Jordan did for basketball and what Arnold Schwarzenegger did for body building, Hendrix didn’t just take things to another level, he kicked the freaking door in. I'd put Paul Smith in that category as well.

Who else was a pioneer in their field?

The founders of Shimano, Sony, Samsung, Honda Yamaha, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Hasselblad, Pioneer, Fujitsu, Microsoft, Tesla and LG.

Much of what we see/do, have seen/have done wouldn't be possible if not for these companies/corporations .

gallery-1435085113-1429904887-hugh-hefner.jpg

I would say “Allan Holdsworth.” However, not only is nobody ever going to “build on” what he did, no one will ever even come close to equaling it. The man was from a different planet and there won’t ever be anyone close.

So maybe instead of “pioneer” you can just call him what I always have. GENIUS!

George Beauchamp
Inventor of the 1st electric guitar (that worked properly)

Inventor of the magnetic pickup, and subsequent electric guitar, electric violin, electric cello etc etc.
There was even a prototype electric piano in the foyer of Electro-String/Ro-Pat-In Corporation.

Back