Pattern regular versus pattern vintage?

I have at least 1 of each of the Pattern neck carves and find them all comfortable to play. I like the Pattern Vintage carve a lot and the 594 feels the most 'played in' of all the PRS guitars to me. Its as if the neck was a more regular 'C' but with years of playing, the wood of the neck has worn into a more asymmetric shape giving it a played in feel. Despite also being the thickest of the PRS necks, it doesn't feel that much thicker than a Pattern or Pattern Regular neck to me.

I could buy any PRS with any of the Pattern Necks and not worry about whether or not it will be comfortable for me. I don't like thin necks but the Pattern Thin isn't 'too thin' for me and I don't like really thick (or wide at the nut) necks and not one of the PRS necks are too thick and certainly none are too wide or narrow either. They all fit within that window of measurements that I find comfortable and usable.

Below is a great post on now-historic PRS neck carves. This was made on the Seymour Duncan forum 03-05-2009 by a PRS employee who posts as Immortal Six there (not sure who that is). I was searching for detail on the 513 neck carves on the two 2007s I play, and this was a wonderful discovery! Thank you ImmortalSix, whoever you are (Hunter??)! Posted in hope of helping understand how these carves have evolved.

We make guitars with both glued-in (not neck through) and bolt-on necks. The models with glued-in necks include the Customs, Standard Satins, Santana MD , all McCarty models including the Hollowbodies and all Dragons and Private Stock models. Bolt-on models include CE Alder, CE 22 and CE 24 and the Swamp Ash Special.

It is important to know that there is no difference in the amount of sustain from either design, as the neck joint is exactly the same, but each has its own characteristic tone and feel.

Our glued-in necks are typically mahogany glued to a mahogany body or mahogany glued to a maple top/mahogany back body.

Our bolt-on necks are made from rock maple with a rosewood or maple fretboard. The dense and more rigid maple neck gives the guitar more of a "live" sound accentuating the highs and midrange alike.

Please keep in mind that all PRS Guitars are the exact same build quality and our bolt-on neck guitars are no exception. They are designed to give a very specific tone. Unlike most bolt-on neck guitars, a PRS gives access to all frets without an intrusive heel joint.

We also make a number of instruments with solid East Indian Rosewood necks or Brazilian Rosewood necks. Guitars fitted with these necks tend to have a loud piano-like tone with rich even harmonics over the entire range.

Current Neck Profiles

The Regular neck is a comfortable neck that is 1/32 narrower and not quite as thick front to back as our Wide Fat neck. It is currently only available on the Custom and Standard 24 Satin.

The Wide Thin neck has a thinner profile front to back than the Wide Fat. This neck is available on many of our 22 and 24 fret models.

The Wide Fat neck only available on 22 fret models, has the same nut width as the Wide Thin neck but has a big comfortable profile, similar to our Regular neck. Because of its strength and longer “heel”, the Wide Fat neck produces warm tones with lots of sustain.

The 513 neck carve is very close to that of the wide fat profile, but the nut width is in between our wide fat and regular at about 1 43/64". A very comfortable neck carve and only available on our 513 models.

The Johnny Hiland neck carve is a variation of a PRS Wide Thin neck, incorporating aspects of a “C” style neck from the 1st fret to the 12th fret”.

PRS Guitars Neck Dimensions

Width of the fingerboard at the nut:

* Regular – 1 21/32”
* Wide Fat and Wide Thin – 1 11/16”
* Santana – 1 21/32”
* Custom 22/12 - 1 47/64"
* 513 – 1 43/64"
* Hiland – 1 21/32"
* Grissom and Al D - 1 21/32"

Width at the body:

* Regular – 2 1/4”
* Wide Fat and Wide Thin – 2 1/4"
* Santana – 2 1/4”
* Custom 22/12 – 2 19/64"
* 513 – 2 3/16"
* Hiland – 2 7/32"
* Grissom and Al D - 2 1/4"

Depth of neck at the nut:

* Regular and Wide Fat – 27/32”
* Wide Thin – 25/32”
* 513 – 55/64"
* Hiland – 25/32"
* Grissom And Al D 27/32"

Fingerboard radius:

10” on all guitars and basses except 11 1/2” on the Santana II and Custom 22/12

Scale length:

* 25” on all guitars except
* 24 1/2” on the Santana II and III
* 25 1/4" on 513

Wide Fat:
Width of the fingerboard at the nut: 1 11/16”
Width at the body: 2 1/4"
Depth of neck at the nut: 27/32”
Fingerboard radius: 10”
Scale length: 25”

Last edited:
I found the Pattern Vintage a bit too chunky for my tastes, which is why I picked up an S2 Singlecut (Pattern Regular) last week instead of waiting for the S2 594.

I love the Pattern Vintage on my 594, feels perfect. I also love the pattern regular neck I have on my CU24. But why does the Pattern Thin neck on my 35th Anniversary CU24 feel wider down at the 12th fret than any of the others when the chart above shows that they're the same widths at the body?

Now, this might be asymmetrical of me to say, but... I don't prefer the Pattern Vintage. I got hooked on the standard-ish "Pattern" and I love it on my 408, MC-58, and Custom 22. (Didn't love it on an SC594, just felt way different and big, like the modern "50's" Gibson profile vs. the "60's" one.)

Back