Pattern regular versus pattern vintage?

I enjoyed reading all the comments about the neck profiles. I'm not able to play one of the McCarty 594 that I'm looking at but, I liked what someone said about how fast the neck is. I remember that comment very well. I always played a Les Paul and loved the neck. It was a 1973 Custom but the thing that made it easy to play was how fast I made the action. I am playing a Fender Ultra Telecaster now with a Modern D neck. I didn't like it straight out of the box but one night I played it on and off for four hours. It is now something I really love. Like the others out there, IT'S REALLY IN TUNE". HA! I have been purchasing guitars from Willcut Guitars and Eric has been very helpful with all my purchases. So, I trust him and will most likely make the purchase. I did however, purchase a MusicMan and talk about a thin neck OMG it was a beautiful modern guitar but the neck with way tooooo thin. I traded it in on a Custom Electric Collings. When I'm playing live, I do a singer/songwriter gig with Collings Guitars. Now they are something special, but the necks can be very thin, but I love them too. In closing, I think it's what you get use to, I hated beer at first, now I love it. Well, depends on the brand.

I'm kind of drooling over the S2 McCartys and have one pre-ordered. That being said, I'm just starting to wrap my head around the neck profiles and now I'm worried it may not be the guitar for me.

I absolutely love my Gibson with the 60s slim-taper profile. I've been searching everywhere for some info on what that would translate to on a PRS guitar, but haven't had any luck. My guess is the pattern vintage is going to be too thick for my taste. I'm going to go play one to be sure, but I'm just curious - Which PRS neck profile would feel most similar to the Gibson 60s slim-taper?

Welcome to the forum Devin.

I don’t know Gibson necks well enough to match a PRS neck to it, but I don’t find any of the PRS necks too thick. My PRS are all more comfortable to play than my Gibsons.

I have read that the prs regular pattern is more like a start C shape or closer to the slim taper for a Gibson. Never played one though.

Will PRS ever make any necks where the width of the fretboard at the body is 2"?

I recently sold a 2018 Gibson ES 335 to "trade up" to a 2016 Hollowbody II Core with Piezo – and I am learning that the Pattern Wide neck is "too wide" across fretboard for me. Is there any other PRS electric with Piezo that has a slimmer neck across the fretboard? Seems not. The PRS is hands-down great, but, while my hands are not "Carny-small," I really miss the ‘60’s slim-taper, Modern Flat Oval “D” Shape neck of the 335.

My other two stage guitars are Rickenbackers; their slim-fast necks are much better suited to my hand. Transition mid-set from the Ricks to the PRS is unnatural and inhibiting due to the variance of feel.
 Width of fretboard at the neck:
• PRS 2 ¼”
• Rick 2”
I briefly felt the Pattern Thin of a CE24 at Chuck Levin’s; seemed to "feel" closer to a slim-fast neck, but I guess it too is 2 1/4" wide at the body?

i'm still confused by it all, as the numbers in the measurements don't make sense related to what I feel. The difference between the pattern thin and pattern regular are so similar, but the thin feels wider to me (at least more than 1/32")

i'm still confused by it all, as the numbers in the measurements don't make sense related to what I feel. The difference between the pattern thin and pattern regular are so similar, but the thin feels wider to me (at least more than 1/32")

Pattern Thin is wider at the nut but thinner in the thickness of the neck. Pattern Regular has a 1 21/32" (42mm) nut compared to 1 11/16ths (1 22/32" or 43mm) nut so it is narrower.

The other difference is the neck thickness - the thickness from the highest point on the fretboard to lowest point on the neck. Pattern Thin refers the thickness of the neck not the 'width' across the fretboard. It used to be called Wide/Thin, meaning it was the 'widest' neck across the fretboard they offered but also the thinnest neck as opposed to Wide/Fat (now called Pattern) or 'regular' (Pattern Regular)

Pattern Thin is wider at the nut but thinner in the thickness of the neck. Pattern Regular has a 1 21/32" (42mm) nut compared to 1 11/16ths (1 22/32" or 43mm) nut so it is narrower.

The other difference is the neck thickness - the thickness from the highest point on the fretboard to lowest point on the neck. Pattern Thin refers the thickness of the neck not the 'width' across the fretboard. It used to be called Wide/Thin, meaning it was the 'widest' neck across the fretboard they offered but also the thinnest neck as opposed to Wide/Fat (now called Pattern) or 'regular' (Pattern Regular)

Thank you. I guess was exaggerating a bit, haha, I mean I get what those measurements are and what they mean, but 1/32" isn't much and the difference FEELS like a lot more. I even took my profile gauge to each neck, and there's a bigger difference than just 1/16" of an inch in the neck thickness at the 12th fret, in some cases, it was closer to 1/8". So I think the pattern regular is a lot chunkier than the pattern thin than 1/16".

OK, so if the 2.25" across the fretboard width measurement of the core Hollowbody II piezo is "too wide for me"/less than ideal for me, can anyone suggest a similar guitar -- by any maker -- that is a hollow body electric guitar -- that includes an acoustic guitar / piezo feature like the PRS hollowbody -- that is 2" across the fretboard at the body? i.e., a humbucker rocker that can reasonably double as an on-stage acoustic tone -- with a slim-D neck? Thanks.

Back