Other Forums.

captdg

I know I promised to not see other forums but im going throught the 7 week itch.. What do yall know about "The Gear Page" or "Harmony Central"? . They come reccomended from a good friend who owns PRS guitars.

Many Thanks:dontknow:

The only way to know is if you check them out yourself! I have nothing bad to say about them, and I browse them all from time to time, but nothing has ever made those two my "go-to" forum. I cant say why but it feels more like a messageboard and less like a community.

Well most forums have good points and bad points. This one and Vintage Rocker seem to have the least drama and a good deal of knowledge. Rig-talk is pretty good, but I've been on there much less the past couple years. It changed some when it got a bulk people from harmony central when it went down. It's a cool place for researching high gain stuff. Some good peeps, but I don't know alot of the newer members. IMO - HC seemed the least mature of all of them, I haven't been on there in many years. TGP....tons of info, sometimes psycho, over the top analysis but has a nice fast paced for sale section. It does have a ton of info on damn near everything...although occasionally poor prs info and often an anti-PRS crowd. I stick to their amps an FX sections.

Edit: I don't mean anything in a negative way toward any forums, I've certainly enjoyed them all at one point or another. It really depends on what your looking for in a forum. I'm just giving MY viewpoint on them as I see them now. I visit here and VR most as they have the most PRS-centric crowd because that's what I like most.

Last edited:
captdg, you don't have to marry us! go forth and browse the webs!

I like The Gear Page...especially the picture threads that seem to go forever.

TGP is a very popular site, so there are lots of opinions, but it's also a very good site with excellent info. The recording forum is particularly strong.

As others have said - they all have good and bad - Vintage Rocker, TGP and TPDRI (Telecaster forums) are all useful at times. The for sale section on the TGP has been really useful to me - both buying and selling. ;)

I didn't know about that one...
But I won't join... you can't browse without joining? No thank you...

It's a decent enough forum. Not sure why they keep the whole thing under wraps but i've been a member of that (As well as VR and here) for a few months and never had an issue. I post there much less often now as there's a lot of cross posting between the three so I tend to gravitate more towards one or two.

reply to James

captdg, you don't have to marry us! go forth and browse the webs!

I like The Gear Page...especially the picture threads that seem to go forever.

Well I do like all yall
but in a "Non-Motel" way...

I just dont wanna have to give out a buncha info and get spammed or adware. Its been real cool here. Plus, when I joined several boat captain sites, there was class "snootiness".
No snots here. Gonna try vintage rocker as per several recommendations here.

many thanks.

D. Gibson
no relation to Orville.

The rub with a thread like this is (besides the obvious) is that people are bound to start poking at things they like (and don't like) with each subset of the bigger community. Inevitably, some people are going to get their feelings hurt, start throwing out generalizations, and then we end up with division. Again.

As James said, you're not married to us. It's a big internet. Find a place you like to call home and get on with it. Be happy. Chase some joy in this life. For many of us, "home" isn't tied to a URL. Our community gets on airplanes, we pick up the telephone, we send texts and email. We are real friends with a real connection. The forums are just another way (albeit convenient) for us to connect. When BaM died, our friendships didn't change. Forums can come and go (even this one) and it has little to do with reality.

If you don't believe me, stop going to your favorite forum for a few weeks. After the 1st day or 2, you realize it was just a habit; an addiction. After 3 or 4 days, you realize you were probably caught up in a whole bunch of really mindless drama. And after a week, you wonder how you ever let yourself go from being a musician with an actual soul to something far less powerful. And all the while, the people who had your back before you left STILL have your back. The people who were your friends before you left are STILL your friends. When your life returns to focus, you might find that you don't really want to go back. And if you do, it's never the same.

At some point you will realize that nobody owns YOU. NOBODY!

So let me get to the business at hand -- I've had enough of people logging in under pseudonyms and stirring the pot. I don't expect all of you to be able to see it when it's happening but I think its fair to ask you all to read into the subtext of these posts before playing into someone else's hand. You might think it would be easy to just nuke the troublemakers -- but then we're no better than those who rule their tiny little world with an accute case of xenophobia. Whether we like to admit it or not, the friction created by opposing views is the very tincture that compels growth. The question is, can we handle it with a modicum of grace or do we allow ourselves to be baited - to be puppets?

I'll let this thread remain (for now) knowing that it's a powder keg created for the sole purpose of exploding. I won't lock it (yet). But pay attention. Little by little, a dig here and a slight there will spawn side-bar discussions and links to this thread will make their way around to other parts of the net (both public AND private) and people who count on us, the PRS Guitars company forum, to maintain neutral ground might wonder... "why would they deliberately allow discussions that could alienate en entire community of PRS fans? Shouldn't they set the example?"

Answer #1: Because controlling forum members exclusively with [ban] and [delete] buttons shows an appalling lack of leadership
Answer #2: Because transparency is the only way to create real trust
Answer #3: Because if we lock the thread (or ban the OP under his pseudonym) without doing our very best to shine a light on the truth (as a first course of action), we take a step backward

But maybe I'm wrong. MAYBE... we're better than all that. Maybe you guys won't get baited and this thread won't go south, as the OP intended. Maybe you'll see that there is no winning with a thread like this and you'll simply ignore it along with similar threads that are sure to follow.

Last edited:
Well I do like all yall
but in a "Non-Motel" way...

I just dont wanna have to give out a buncha info and get spammed or adware. Its been real cool here. Plus, when I joined several boat captain sites, there was class "snootiness".
No snots here. Gonna try vintage rocker as per several recommendations here.

many thanks.

D. Gibson
no relation to Orville.
Bye "Dave". Stop in to say hello from time to time.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;28922 said:
Bye "Dave". Stop in to say hello from time to time.

HUH??? I love this place... Okay...Ill go away. Iwasnt trying to start anything. Im just new to the guitar world. When I was talking about spam or snooty It sure wasnt here! Ive been trying to stay away from drama and crazy my whole life. Thats why i asked about "other " sites.. Not this one. But if-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! feels that way.. Ill go.

sorry if I did something wrong..It wasnt intended..

postscript...One maritime site I really liked, turned every topic into "Conservative versus liberal".. if i wanted to learn about entering a harbor at night in a strange place, people would turn it into politics , i.e. "well we could see the bouys until so and so cut funding" ..Im not about that at all.. Just want to exchange info. No SSRI's needed.

Last edited:
I dont know anyone here personally..But I would like to. To learn . Im a good guy not a bad one. I have no idea what thei powder keg is. Honest

Back