On Being Of Two Minds.

László

Too Many Notes
I'm mostly known in the ad music community as a person who does rock or electronic music for TV commercials. In other words, most folks hire me because of the type of music I use my PRS guitars and amps on.

But there's been something else that's grown all out of proportion during the last few years: I write orchestral music (the kind some people refer to as Classical Music, though strictly speaking, Classical was an era, not a music style).

I'm literally addicted to writing music for orchestra. I listen to orchestral music on XM or PBS radio nearly all the time. I'm sure few people here do that. I hardly listen to rock music any more. I certainly don't write it, unless a purchase order for an ad track is involved! ;)

I have to force myself to practice my beloved guitars and amps. That's just SO wrong!!! But it's also real.

This puts me in one of those...style-warps! That'd be kind of like a time warp, only it's about musical style instead of time.

"Les, you need to see an accredited Rock Counselor. I've heard they can really help."

"I sure hope so, because right now my favorite lead player is Jascha Heifetz, not Clapton. And there's no electric guitar or amp involved in his stuff."

"How about Eric Johnson's Violin Tone?"

"Great, but it's ersatz violin."

"You, sir, are in serious trouble with the Tone Gods."

"Is there a way to repent and be cured?"

"No. It's hopeless. The best you can do at this point is play your synths and be like Wendy Carlos."

"Do I have to change my sexual identity like she did? That might be hard for me."

"No one knows. But perhaps I can interest you in a G-string."

Dang, all this talk of gender, queerness, harems, etc. I think you are OK Les. Music, it all falls under the umbrella of Music. As far as the gender change - you may get away with cross dressing. Don't ask me how I know. Let's just say my dad is glad to see me back in mens clothes....

I'm mostly known in the ad music community as a person who does rock or electronic music for TV commercials. In other words, most folks hire me because of the type of music I use my PRS guitars and amps on.

But there's been something else that's grown all out of proportion during the last few years: I write orchestral music (the kind some people refer to as Classical Music, though strictly speaking, Classical was an era, not a music style).

I'm literally addicted to writing music for orchestra. I listen to orchestral music on XM or PBS radio nearly all the time. I'm sure few people here do that. I hardly listen to rock music any more. I certainly don't write it, unless a purchase order for an ad track is involved! ;)

I have to force myself to practice my beloved guitars and amps. That's just SO wrong!!! But it's also real.

This puts me in one of those...style-warps! That'd be kind of like a time warp, only it's about musical style instead of time.

"Les, you need to see an accredited Rock Counselor. I've heard they can really help."

"I sure hope so, because right now my favorite lead player is Jascha Heifetz, not Clapton. And there's no electric guitar or amp involved in his stuff."

"How about Eric Johnson's Violin Tone?"

"Great, but it's ersatz violin."

"You, sir, are in serious trouble with the Tone Gods."

"Is there a way to repent and be cured?"

"No. It's hopeless. The best you can do at this point is play your synths and be like Wendy Carlos."

"Do I have to change my sexual identity like she did? That might be hard for me."

"No one knows. But perhaps I can interest you in a G-string."
Enjoy it all! Celebrate it all.

There's nothing wrong with branching out as a musician.

Here's the thing I think that's actually happening. No one pays you for orchestral music.

This is not a bad thing.

Once one starts getting paid to do a thing, it turns a passion into a job. If you are lucky person, this is your problem.

Orchestral music is where you are putting your passion, unsullied by fiduciary concerns. Enjoy it while you can. At some point, you will get noticed for it, and then they will want to start paying you for it.

You may have to go back to composing rock guitar for unadulterated composition joy!

I had a friend back in the 80's and 90's that was a great classical guitar player. He wanted to be a shredder on electric guitar. I was always working on him to get him to use some of his classical playing on the electric guitar. Every time I was able to get him to do it people's heads immediately turned to see who was doing that. You can definitely combine the genres of music you know and come up with something cool and interesting. This is how music evolves. Let it rip!

There's nothing wrong with branching out as a musician.

Here's the thing I think that's actually happening. No one pays you for orchestral music.

This is not a bad thing.

Once one starts getting paid to do a thing, it turns a passion into a job. If you are lucky person, this is your problem.

Orchestral music is where you are putting your passion, unsullied by fiduciary concerns. Enjoy it while you can. At some point, you will get noticed for it, and then they will want to start paying you for it.

You may have to go back to composing rock guitar for unadulterated composition joy!
Well said!

Les, regardless of your musical conundrum, you're still aces in my book.

is programming orchestral samples worse than amp modeling? discuss in 500,000 words.
No, and here's why:

To record an orchestra costs at least five figure money per day. The average for a real orchestra on a commercial - a one day session - last time I did it was $60,000.

I couldn't justify a single session, since my work doesn't sell. The cost is a huge disincentive to use a real orchestra.

A modeler costs about the same as a tube amp.

I find the more diverse my musical interests and exploits the better overall I sound ... There is SO much inspiration out there

I may be one of those, to whom you were referring. I like and listen to orchestral music often. I'm partial to the Baroque Era. Mom was a fan of Rachmaninoff. Guess she influenced me.

Back