NGD - super cool green edition

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
Meet Esmeralda - arrived today. If you haven't seen my wing tuner thread, 1997 Custom 22 Stoptail. 10 top, Dragon 1 pickups, wide fat neck. Arrived in even better condition than I expected - a couple very tiny dings, and a very small amount of fret wear. Weighs 7.6 pounds. Pickup heights were off, fretboard was a touch dry, but both of those were quickly remedied with some mineral oil and a screwdriver when I installed my preferred D'Addario XL 9s. I have to say, now that I watched the PTC video, the wing tuners are SUPER easy to use and work so well - I'm a convert.

This guitar is a fire breathing rock beast. I'm not entirely sold on the D1s yet - they sound great, but they're very hot...however, I've only used the presets on my HX Stomp XL that are dialed in for my Vela, HBII, and Guild Surfliner - all of which have much lower output pickups. I'll spend some time over the next few days dialing in some new presets and see what I think. If I end up not liking them it's not like it'd be difficult to sell a set of D1s :D.

OK, on to the pics:
esmeralda1.jpg

esmeralda3.jpg

esmeralda5.jpg

esmeralda7.jpg

esmeralda8.jpg

And, if I do say so myself, I think I did a pretty good job with getting a Christmas Tree on my first wing tuner restring in 25+ years.
esmeralda9.jpg

Congrats man, I used to hate green guitars until a CE24 slipped me 2 weeks ago... I wanted it so bad 😂... Give the Dragons a chance, I've had them in a 22 years ago, and theyre super versatile, hot when needed, but really dynamic, just make some new presets 😉

and btw, congrats on that pick 🤓

edit: and double congrats on setting up those wings!!

Congrats man, I used to hate green guitars until a CE24 slipped me 2 weeks ago... I wanted it so bad 😂... Give the Dragons a chance, I've had them in a 22 years ago, and theyre super versatile, hot when needed, but really dynamic, just make some new presets 😉

and btw, congrats on that pick 🤓

edit: and double congrats on setting up those wings!!

Thanks! I'm definitely going to give them a chance, not doing anything rash.

Very nice Mr. Aahzz! Looks like that might have originally been slated as a PS top, but changed to a 10 top. I say this because above the "10" in the bridge pup cavity, looks like a crossed out "PS" and they do sometimes downgrade/upgrade stuff in the build process as it shows itself!! Congrats on the great score and glad to see you once again entrenched in the electric!!!

Last edited:
Very nice Mr. Aahzz! Looks like that might have originally been slated as a PS top, but changed to a 10 top. I say this because above the "10" in the bridge pup cavity, looks like a crossed out "PS" and they do sometimes downgrade/upgrade stuff in the build process as it shows itself!! Congrats on the great score and glad to see you once again entrenched in the electric!!!

Good catch on the crossed out PS - you're right, it does look like it says that! I knew this seemed like a more interesting top than the average 10...

Good catch on the crossed out PS - you're right, it does look like it says that! I knew this seemed like a more interesting top than the average 10...
Yeah, that top may have looked a lot better before it got shaved! Once they shaped it, it lost some of it's "bam"!! That is my guess!!! Great none the less!!!!

That I know of there was no PS back then. My brother ordered a CU24 custom color neck inlay delete for just a few hundred more. That was in 1998, the Angry Larry Uri era. Hope I have his last name spelled correct.

That I know of there was no PS back then. My brother ordered a CU24 custom color neck inlay delete for just a few hundred more. That was in 1998, the Angry Larry Uri era. Hope I have his last name spelled correct.

Private Stock was started an 1996.

Gorgeous guitar. Even better than the pics you had before. Congratulations on this great acquisition.

Last edited:
Back