Smoked hardware with new wing tuning buttons....I hate them

GnarCalShrddr

I recently sold my wood library and I miss it terribly. Thinking of getting a replacement. I don't need a fancy top but I do want the smoked hardware. Recently came across a core custom 24 with the smoked black hardware upgrade. Unfortunately they are equipped with the new plastic wing tuning buttons. They don't look as cheap as the white ones but I do not like them. The rest of the tuning machine is in the smoked chrome color.

I read that Gotoh actually makes the tuners for PRS but they will not sell them direct to customer. They do however make cosmos black locking tuner that I assume matches the same tint as the smoked chrome.

I’m thinking of buying the while gotoh tuning machine and swapping the buttons. There must be some compatibility fit with phase III locking tuners, right? I think the color will match?

gNZVEVE.png

sOOn7z1.png

SjtoVgb.png

Last edited:
So You Are Saying You Don't Like The New Tuning Buttons...Correct?

The tuning machine doesn't appear to have changed, just the freaking button. Why not simply buy the traditional, real ebony ones PRS sells?

I'd call PRS or a dealer and ask if they'll fit.

I like the new ones as well as the old ones, so it isn't something I'd bother with, but everyone's different.

I would want the button to match the rest of the smoke chrome tuning machine which matches the smoked chrome trem. Gotoh makes cosmo black which looks like smoke chrome-but they don’t sell the smoke chrome buttons separately. So I’d have to buy the whole machine and just remove the button to swap with the PRS wing button. Basically I want it to look like my old wood library.

I would want the button to match the rest of the smoke chrome tuning machine which matches the smoked chrome trem. Gotoh makes cosmo black which looks like smoke chrome-but they don’t sell the smoke chrome buttons separately. So I’d have to buy the whole machine and just remove the button to swap with the PRS wing button. Basically I want it to look like my old wood library.
Best of luck!

Make sure you look very closely at the tuners. There was a very short period of time where they put the new buttons on the Phase III tuners. Then they went to molding the buttons directly on the shaft of the tuner. Those can't be changed. Your pictures look like this one may be one that has the screws in the ends of the buttons. If that is the case, you could find a replacement button.

Yeah, it looks like the "Phase III" tuners have used varying combinations of shaft, spacers, and buttons over the last few years. Some spacers have a small Allen screw on them. Others do not. Metal and plastic buttons appear with both types of spacers, and now there are molded-in-place buttons on some of the tuner shafts? Weird.

Yeah, it looks like the "Phase III" tuners have used varying combinations of shaft, spacers, and buttons over the last few years. Some spacers have a small Allen screw on them. Others do not. Metal and plastic buttons appear with both types of spacers, and now there are molded-in-place buttons on some of the tuner shafts? Weird.
Starting with the original McCarty in 1993 0r 94, the vintage tuners had molded-in-place buttons. This isn't new.

Don't know if they'll fit...but,

The A01 is the large button; the A07 is the small tuner button.
ABO1 and AB07 are the aluminum versions.

Last edited:
Back