NGD - DGT!

Thanks LS, appreciate that. Being so new to the breed, it's hard to tell if I'm just not used to it, or if it's out of spec. I have a buddy here in town who has a few PRSi, and we are going to try to play some one evening this week, so I'll get his input before I go running my mouth to the motherland. Honestly, giving the build quality and attention to detail on this thing, and my lack of experience with PRS, probably best to let somebody who knows them better than I tell me if it really is an issue.

On a more positive note, I can't put this thing down. This neck pickup is the best sounding humbucker I've ever played. We might have a little learning curve, but honestly, I'm blown away by this thing. What an amazing guitar!

A buddy was over today and heard me noodling with the bridge pup split. He had just walked in, and he said "A PRS, huh? I thought you were playing one of your teles". I just smiled and said thanks.

Last edited:
Congrats, and welcome to Club DGT! That's a looker!

For the steel bends, it's probably just a matter of how sensitive you are to the tuning change. Grissom does those, and they sound good when he does them. Then again, he IS David Grissom!

You could rewire it to have a single master volume, just one knob would be a dummy knob.

What Vaughn said. Mine has a dummy knob, but it's usually behind the guitar, not in the control cavity! :girl:

jklotz--I do a lot of pedal-steel bends too, and when I play a tremolo-equipped guitar, I find myself compensating by pushing everything a bit sharp with the fretting hand. It's pretty much second nature now--the only time I have trouble is when I switch to a non-tremolo guitar, and it takes me a few minutes to stop sharping those strings! You'll get used to it, and you'll find that a little subtle vibrato-bar stuff helps with the steel licks.
Regarding the extra volume pot, just leave it there and use a volume pedal--I can hardly play without one.

jklotz--I do a lot of pedal-steel bends too, and when I play a tremolo-equipped guitar, I find myself compensating by pushing everything a bit sharp with the fretting hand. It's pretty much second nature now--the only time I have trouble is when I switch to a non-tremolo guitar, and it takes me a few minutes to stop sharping those strings! You'll get used to it, and you'll find that a little subtle vibrato-bar stuff helps with the steel licks.
Regarding the extra volume pot, just leave it there and use a volume pedal--I can hardly play without one.

OK, gotcha. So you compensate with your playing. I switch to other guitars during our sets, so I might investigate some heavier springs or something to stiffen the trem a little. Maybe I'm ultra sensitive to it, I've spent a lot of time practicing getting my bends in pitch. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't do steel bends, so can't help you with that.
I bend a lot and the 11s don't bother me a bit with the DGT. Honestly, it doesn't feel like 11s. I'm not knocking anyone's string choice...only pointing out that there's something extra with the 11s worth investigating. :cool: IMO, this is one of the most evolved models at PRS.

And black gold is sha-wing -a- licious. :rock:

Congrats - You scored big time! When you play a guitar clean and it speaks to you, you know you are on the right track. Enjoy.

I'm one of those guys that that doesn't get along with two vol pots. I adjust vol with my pinky as I play constantly which is why I like one pot.

If I only recorded at home then I would like the two pots for the tone choices.

I'm one of those guys that that doesn't get along with two vol pots. I adjust vol with my pinky as I play constantly which is why I like one pot.

If I only recorded at home then I would like the two pots for the tone choices.

Exactly. When I play clean with the band, I set the amp for just starting to breakup, then roll the gtr vol down. I then bring it up for solos. For the house, I love the two pots, but in the heat of battle, I don't want to have to think about it.

Back