NGD - DGT!

jklotz

I tried to resist, I swear I did. I played it, left, woke up the next morning unable to get that sound out of my head. I knew it was pointless to resist. Problem is I had this Gretsch G6118t LTV, and din't bond with the smaller body shape. I like my Gretch's full size, like my 6120. GC offered me a decent trade in value for it, along with a 15% coupon on the DGT. Fortunately, this one was locked up in the platinum room, and was a fairly new arrival, so it was unmolested like much of the GC stock. (there is a reason Guitar Center is affectionately known as Guitar Denter) We had a band rehearsal yesterday and I did the deal on the way. PLuged it in, turned it up and hit a chord. I knew, at that moment, I had made the right decision. What an awesome sounding guitar! Played it for about 3 hours, just killer! For the last hour, I had to go to another guitar, as this came with 11's, and I tend to do a lot of pedal steel type bends, and my fingers were worn out, but man it sounded glorious through my big rig! (how I wish I could play that thing at home....). I spent the morning restringing with 10's and playing through my little Allen Chihuahua. I could just play this thing clean for hours! Funny thing is, I'm not wild about the color, kind of wanted birds but got moons, and would have preferred a single volume control rather than 2, but as soon as I plug it in, all that goes out the window. I'm a happy camper today!

Oh, yea, almost forgot. Obligatory pic:

a0c0fda3-29d2-4f86-ba2f-f84563878ac5_zpsy7lel4jm.jpg

Ooooh Mamaaa
that is sweeter Than thick molasses

Congrats on your golden score...Enjoy

Awesome, what color is that?

You could rewire it to have a single master volume, just one knob would be a dummy knob.

Beautiful!I love my DGT and think it's great to have two volume knobs.I string mine with 10s too.

Awesome, what color is that?

You could rewire it to have a single master volume, just one knob would be a dummy knob.

Yea, I might have to. A few times at rehersal yesterday, I went from bridge to middle, and had an unexpected jump in volume. I'd prefer that didnt happen on a gig.

YOWZA!!! That is a great looking axe, is it black gold burst? If so, that's my favorite PRS finish of all time. Enjoy!

That is a killer top and color. And honestly, if u can't get birds, moon inlay trumps just dots

Killer! Black Gold Burst is my favorite PRS color. And I dig the moons instead of birds. Everybody has birds. Moons are different and much more subtle! :top:

Yea, I might have to. A few times at rehersal yesterday, I went from bridge to middle, and had an unexpected jump in volume. I'd prefer that didnt happen on a gig.
How would a single volume knob prevent a jump in volume switching from bridge to middle?That to me sounds more like pickup height issue.On the other hand if jump in volume means that middle sounded higher than bridge you can easily now with two volume knobs adjust the neckpickup volume when you use middle position and have it match the bridge pickup :).

I think the trick is getting used to multiple volume knobs, and not accidentally jostling them.

Hmmm...as a McCarty Singlecut player, I'd say it's great having two volume controls, because you really can get all kinds of nuance that way (as Grissom himself does, hence the two volumes).

As Dusty says, it's definitely worth getting used to.

Righteous axe, JKlotz, looks like a very nice Black Gold wrap on a very interesting top. Must've been extremely cool waking into rehearsal with a fresh-from-the-store guitar. Congratulations...play the snot out of her. FWIW birds are great and all, but I'd love to see more moons out there.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Did a little truss rod tweak today to compensate for going to 10's. Plays like butter now!

Sorry, I don't know the name for the color. I think it may be the black gold burst, but I'm not really sure. It certainly looks classier than any guitar I've ever had before, that's for sure.

Yea, I hear ya - I almost always play them for a week or so before I do any mods. I figure that Grissom guy might know a thing or two that I don't, so I'll try to learn his way and see if I can make it work. I just come from a tele background, so I am very used to having 1 volume knob. Maybe it's time I broaden my horizons.

On a side note, if I do go to 1 volume control, I might just take that unused pot and make it a switch for splitting the neck. Might be cool to be able to split them seperately. We'll see.

One question: the tone pot seems like it doesn't do anything until I turn it down to about 4, then it seems to kick in really quickly. Is this a problem with my guitar, or a PRS thing?

Oh, and one more question. I'm loving having a trem, and think it is ultra useable for what I do, but I do have a problem. When I do a steel bend, it's pulling the unbent strings flat. I guess this means I need to block the trem, or does PRS have some sort of way of dealing with this?

I don't do steel bends, so can't help you with that.

The tone pot on every PRS I've owned (a lot) or played (a lot more) works really well...gradually rolling off treble, but still being useful, instead of all upper mid and high frequencies going dead the second you start to roll it off. So the changes can be more subtle, and therefore, more useful.

But every potentiometer works differently as it dumps treble to ground, so it's possible you're not hearing what's happening due to your amp settings or the room, and it's also possible that the pot isn't in spec.

Maybe you're used to pots that are basically treble on-off switches? And maybe there's something wrong.

It'd be interesting if you could record a clip of the tone pot as you gradually roll it back; it might help to see if it's within spec. Most DAWs have ways of examining the waveform, that way you could see for yourself what's happening. There's also software that can help you visualize your frequency changes in various ways (for example, FFT and Spectrum Analyzers, many of which are free downloads, google them).

If it's not in spec, PRS will replace it under warranty.

Last edited:
Back