New Private Stock 6-string arrived...

I've been a fan for a while, but must not've been paying attention, because I didn't realize you were a 7-string player. AW! SUM! Can't wait!

Also, outstanding first post -- private stock, straight out of the gate!

Question: how and why did you move the controls?

Watching the video, only a couple minutes in, not sure I can watch all 90 minutes of it now(need to go to work at some point this morning -- I have a day job), will have to watch the rest of it later.

I'm completely with you on the PRS trem and staying in tune -- it's far and away superior to the Floyd Rose and the locking nut.

Really curious about that thing behind you that looks like a 7-string 513. Will peruse your Facebook page and whatnot to see if there's more information. Never mind, you just mentioned it. I think you might've just helped me decide one of my toanwudz. That spanked ash looks so sweet...

Last edited:
Dave...Welcome, and Thank you for sharing the unboxing (birth)!!! Congrats...very classy looking axe, and love the back and neck.
Glad you flipped the camera...didn't remember you being a southpaw!!! :) My son and I really enjoyed your band at the Experience. I caught one of the more recent Vai tours and it was a blast.
Can't wait for the 7 !!!!!

Hello Dave and welcome in our midst, I watched the live event last Sunday ( but not in real time unfortunately)
I enjoyed it greatly after you flipped the camera cause I know you're not a lefty (I'm one of your fans), this build
is off the charts beautiful, simple and sounds awesome, the cocobolo neck reminds me of the 300 year dust storm on the surface of Jupiter
can't wait for the 7 strings unboxing (but do give us a heads up pls)

Congrats, I'm sure your fingers are bleeding by now ;)

Can't wait to see the 7 string as well!
I still have a signed copy of the "On Revolute" in my car!!

Man, that's gorgeous! Love the control layout too, gets the selector out from under the trem bar if it's flipped down.

Thanks for the kind words and welcoming guys. Much appreciated!! I'm going to try to answer your questions individually.

Dave, that is unbelievably badass!! I noticed from your vids that you've gone PRS-crazy.

How good are the 58/15LT pickups for Vai stuff?

Do you tend to get ash bodies, or is this something unusual for you?

The LT's are right up my alley as I've always preferred lower-output / vintage-voiced pickups to balance out higher gain aggressiveness. The LT's are serving up exactly what I expected but even better. Just gorgeous tone that is working well on all amp settings and tonal needs so far. That said, I will be asking PRS to add a tap so I can extract a single-coil tone as well.

As for Ash, it's my fav wood so most of the customs I've done with PRS are ash. I find it has a lot of character and works better (for me) on clean and gain versus mahogany which (again, to my ears) works for many things, but not the kind of clean I like.

I've been a fan for a while, but must not've been paying attention, because I didn't realize you were a 7-string player. AW! SUM! Can't wait!

Also, outstanding first post -- private stock, straight out of the gate!

Question: how and why did you move the controls?

Watching the video, only a couple minutes in, not sure I can watch all 90 minutes of it now(need to go to work at some point this morning -- I have a day job), will have to watch the rest of it later.

I'm completely with you on the PRS trem and staying in tune -- it's far and away superior to the Floyd Rose and the locking nut.

Really curious about that thing behind you that looks like a 7-string 513. Will peruse your Facebook page and whatnot to see if there's more information. Never mind, you just mentioned it. I think you might've just helped me decide one of my toanwudz. That spanked ash looks so sweet...

How? Just asked. Why? Because the standard control layout doesn't work well for me. The bar gets in the way. Every split-second counts when you're playing live, so this is more concise and easier to access for me.

That is a 513 7-string on the wall next to an all-Ash 7-string as well. I did those with PRS in '10.

Welcome to the forum Dave! Not surprisingly, based on the other axes we've seen with you, your latest 6-stringer is another awesome guitar!

And I really like the placement of the blade switch - that is my favorite location too.

Looks sweet Dave, thanks for sharing! 10 minutes in, I was like, OPEN THE DAMN BOX! You're killin' me over here! :D

fwiw, your early instructional videos and album "On Revolute" were the inspiration and reason my first core PRS was (and still is...) a swamp ash 513.

Thank you for that! It's an incredible instrument, and one I will never sell....

Gotta say it again, that new gittar is gorgeous!!! Rock on Dave!

That is a 513 7-string on the wall next to an all-Ash 7-string as well. I did those with PRS in '10.
... the only 513 7-string in existence.. I believe...
Oh, unholy carp...I need to go back and look through your videos and hear that bad boy. So what pickups are they? 7-string versions of the 513 pickups? I thought all 7-string private stock pickups had to be 3rd party...shows what i know...dang, now you have me wondering if they will will wind a 7-string version of the 58/15LT pickup for my eventual private stock build...(I already have the neck pickup determined -- my favourite, the Benedetto B-7).

Back