New member PRS guitar quality issues.

One way that some guitar makers deal with blemishes and other minor defects is by designating them "factory seconds" and selling them at a reduced price. It's a straightforward way to deal with the problem.

^This^

In the clothing industry, factory seconds usually get their logo removed and are liquidated. That would keep the PRS name off of (cosmetically) flawed products.

You won’t see this from PRS. They don’t do B Stock, factory seconds, etc. Anything that meets that criteria gets the ban saw.

Hi, This is my first post. Just asking if anyone else has had quality issues with cor tek made in Indonesia PRS guitars.
I purchased my first electric guitar a couple of weeks ago a standard se 24 in tabacco burst. After playing for a few days there was just something not right about the sound of it even though it was in tune. I went back to the shop and they agreed it wasn't right and the best way they discribed the sound was sour and agreed to change it.
The shop ordered in 2 se 24 standards in translucent blue for me to try. So I go back to the shop a couple of days later. The 1st one I try I can tell straight away that it played alot better and sounded right but the paint finish was rubbish the body was more of a solid colour and the neck had more of a Matt finish so the guitar looked like it had to different blue finishes.
So now I have a look at the 2nd one. This one ticked all the boxes and the colour was right. Or so I thought. After taking this one home with me I have noticed that that on the 14th fret the binding has been chipped and cracked when the fret has been put in then laquered over and also on the body someone has been heavy handed with the sander as it has left a hollow that you clearly see when the light catches it.
I am now waiting for a replacement to come in but it has left me with no confidence this model. Do I persevere or change to another make that isn't made by cor tek.

For what it's worth I have two Zach Myers signature SEs, (both of which are from World Musical Instruments in Korea rather than Cor-Tek) and the build quality, fit and finsh, etc, on both are tremendous. My favorite guitar I've played. I also have a 2019 McCarty 594 and the Myers SEs (with mods) are every bit as good (I actually prefer them). Maybe you just had a bit of bad luck with a lemon?

About 2 months ago, I got an SE Hollowbody Standard, which played great for 2 weeks, then it didn’t. I finally got to my luthier on Wednesday for some tweaks. He picked up the guitar, played it, marveled at the bang for the buck, and then said “ this guitar looks like it finally settled.” A couple of the frets had popped up a little, and the neck had shifted slightly. Remember, the SE’s are stacked, put in a container on a ship across the ocean, go through QC in Maryland, are then warehoused somewhere, and then shipped to either a store or a customer. That’s a lot of climate changes before reaching the players hands. In addition, I was told that it looks like the frets are no longer glued when installed. The American and Korean ones were. This luthier used to work at the factory. Shawn@PRS, can you please confirm or deny this? There is always a teething period when a new factory is used, so I expect most of last years problems have been eradicated. The biggest thing is, I have always known PRS to stand by their quality when there were issues.
This same luthier had a new guitar on his bench when I walked in, and he was cursing like a sailor. He showed me the file marks on the frets of this well known Tennessee made guitar. The guitar cost as much as a core PRS, and the fretwork was substandard.

I was told that it looks like the frets are no longer glued when installed. The American and Korean ones were. This luthier used to work at the factory. Shawn@PRS, can you please confirm or deny this?

Bump.

I also bought an SE Hollowbody II about 2 months ago.

I also have a couple of popped frets. I spotted them pretty early on. But when I play up and down the neck there is no buzzing. The guitar plays and feels good.

I even took out a credit card and checked, everything was pretty level. There was 2 minor spots that rocked a hair but don't produce a buzz when played.

I emailed PRS and was told that the frets were glued in at the factory and leveled, so they shouldn't move any further.

So I would also like confirmation if this is true or not for the Chinese made SE Hollowbodys.

Bump.

I also bought an SE Hollowbody II about 2 months ago.

I also have a couple of popped frets. I spotted them pretty early on. But when I play up and down the neck there is no buzzing. The guitar plays and feels good.

I even took out a credit card and checked, everything was pretty level. There was 2 minor spots that rocked a hair but don't produce a buzz when played.

I emailed PRS and was told that the frets were glued in at the factory and leveled, so they shouldn't move any further.

So I would also like confirmation if this is true or not for the Chinese made SE Hollowbodys.

@Shawn@PRS Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, This is my first post. Just asking if anyone else has had quality issues with cor tek made in Indonesia PRS guitars.
I purchased my first electric guitar a couple of weeks ago a standard se 24 in tabacco burst. After playing for a few days there was just something not right about the sound of it even though it was in tune. I went back to the shop and they agreed it wasn't right and the best way they discribed the sound was sour and agreed to change it.
The shop ordered in 2 se 24 standards in translucent blue for me to try. So I go back to the shop a couple of days later. The 1st one I try I can tell straight away that it played alot better and sounded right but the paint finish was rubbish the body was more of a solid colour and the neck had more of a Matt finish so the guitar looked like it had to different blue finishes.
So now I have a look at the 2nd one. This one ticked all the boxes and the colour was right. Or so I thought. After taking this one home with me I have noticed that that on the 14th fret the binding has been chipped and cracked when the fret has been put in then laquered over and also on the body someone has been heavy handed with the sander as it has left a hollow that you clearly see when the light catches it.
I am now waiting for a replacement to come in but it has left me with no confidence this model. Do I persevere or change to another make that isn't made by cor tek.
I would avoid the Indonesian SE Standard 24 honestly. It’s the cheapest, lowest quality guitar within PRS with no competition. I know because that was my first PRS some years ago (before they added binding and zebra pickups to them). When it comes to SE’s, the quality of the Korean models are well beyond those from Indonesia. You should really look into a CE or an S2. They’re even worth buying used if a new one isn’t within your current budget.

I would avoid the Indonesian SE Standard 24 honestly. It’s the cheapest, lowest quality guitar within PRS with no competition. I know because that was my first PRS some years ago (before they added binding and zebra pickups to them). When it comes to SE’s, the quality of the Korean models are well beyond those from Indonesia. You should really look into a CE or an S2. They’re even worth buying used if a new one isn’t within your current budget.
My experience with my non-CorTek, Indonesian-made SE Standard 22 is the complete opposite. It is built every bit as well as the many Korean-built SEs I have.

I can’t speak for everyone — only myself. I would have zero hesitation buying another P.T. Wildwood built SE.

I will agree that an S2 is a better quality guitar (based largely on better quality wood). So if there a choice between two versions of the same guitar SE vs S2, I’d pick the S2 every time. Depending of your preference of neck shapes, you might choose differently.

My experience with my non-CorTek, Indonesian-made SE Standard 22 is the complete opposite. It is built every bit as well as the many Korean-built SEs I have.

I can’t speak for everyone — only myself. I would have zero hesitation buying another P.T. Wildwood built SE.

I will agree that an S2 is a better quality guitar (based largely on better quality wood). So if there a choice between two versions of the same guitar SE vs S2, I’d pick the S2 every time. Depending of your preference of neck shapes, you might choose differently.

I agree my PT Wildwood is a winner!

Back