New member PRS guitar quality issues.

Tenga

Hi, This is my first post. Just asking if anyone else has had quality issues with cor tek made in Indonesia PRS guitars.
I purchased my first electric guitar a couple of weeks ago a standard se 24 in tabacco burst. After playing for a few days there was just something not right about the sound of it even though it was in tune. I went back to the shop and they agreed it wasn't right and the best way they discribed the sound was sour and agreed to change it.
The shop ordered in 2 se 24 standards in translucent blue for me to try. So I go back to the shop a couple of days later. The 1st one I try I can tell straight away that it played alot better and sounded right but the paint finish was rubbish the body was more of a solid colour and the neck had more of a Matt finish so the guitar looked like it had to different blue finishes.
So now I have a look at the 2nd one. This one ticked all the boxes and the colour was right. Or so I thought. After taking this one home with me I have noticed that that on the 14th fret the binding has been chipped and cracked when the fret has been put in then laquered over and also on the body someone has been heavy handed with the sander as it has left a hollow that you clearly see when the light catches it.
I am now waiting for a replacement to come in but it has left me with no confidence this model. Do I persevere or change to another make that isn't made by cor tek.

Despite some bad reports about the Indonesian made guitars, I am going to give them a shot, waiting on a new SE Paul's Guitar. Personally, I would persevere if the SE Standard 24 is the model that you have your heart set on, although I would only deal with a reputable dealer that has great customer service and a great return policy.

This was my greatest fear. So much can happen from the factory to the dealer. Good luck, and get the model you like. I have a 2015 Korean SE Custom 24. It’s a good player.

Last edited:
I had a 2018 Indonesian se and it was very poorly made, especially in comparison to my 2005 Korean se.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/disappointing-quality-se-cu22-semi-hollow.35643/

I sent it back and was lucky enough to find a b-stock 2017 Korean version of my 2018. Just to put it in perspective though, I was willing to buy a used Korean over buying another new Indonesian guitar.

The 2017 has been amazing. It does not have any of the quality problems my Indonesian se had. Although I will say that the veneer was much more dynamic on the 2018. I don’t know how much either factory really influences the veneers though.

Good luck on your quest!

GPS, I wonder if some/all of that could have been damaged in shipping, it does happen.

Despite some bad reports about the Indonesian made guitars, I am going to give them a shot, waiting on a new SE Paul's Guitar. Personally, I would persevere if the SE Standard 24 is the model that you have your heart set on, although I would only deal with a reputable dealer that has great customer service and a great return policy.

Wait, the new se Pauls guitar will be made in Indonesia?

GPS, I wonder if some/all of that could have been damaged in shipping, it does happen.

I wish it would have been shipping damage. The volume pot looked like it could have been shipping damage at first glance. At a closer look it appeared to be cross threaded instead of bent. Which is definitely an installation error. The fret glue also could have only been poor installation. That doesn’t happen in shipping.

I’m certainly not saying that every instrument out of the Indonesian factory will have the same problems, or problems at all. My personal experience and looking through other posts of similar experiences was enough for me to not want to deal with another Indonesian guitar though.

I imagine that PRS is going to be upping their quality standards for the Indonesian guitars. The instrument I had was one from the first year of instruments produced at the plant (serial number started with an A). I imagine it is the same as buying a first model year of a certain car. You expect some problems to arise.

When I bought my 2018, I did not know that they had changed factories for the Custom series. I was surprised to see it was made in Indonesia. Otherwise I would probably not have bought it in the first place.

Well I recently bought a standard 22 Indonesia model from guitar center listed as excellent. I returned it because of a few things and it was the worst SE I have ever come across. Somewhat unfair due to being used but still. There was a dent in the wood between the pups, nut was cut way too deep, and the sound was bad. I really want one of those new Pauls guitar models but worries me if they are being built in Indonesia. I definitely would not order one and glad the local dealer has they on order to try out.

Definitely not shipping damage as all the issues i have with this guitar are under the lacquer.

Definitely not shipping damage as all the issues i have with this guitar are under the lacquer.

Absolutely, I think he was referring to my thread that I had referenced.

Have you looked into the Multi Foil finish? That guitar is only made in Korea. It’s still considered a Standard 24. I think it is a little bit more expensive due to the finish though.

I’m gonna throw this out there for discussion; I’m not saying I know the answer.

However nice it may be, is an inexpensive guitar made under license in another country by an independent overseas manufacturer truly a PRS, even if it sports the name on the headstock?

For me (maybe I’m the cheese that stands alone), a real PRS Guitar is made in Maryland at the factory Paul Smith runs personally, and where he oversees production, with the highest quality stuff available.

I have nothing against licensing the name, or licensing designs, etc; it’s done all the time in many industries. I do, however think that there’s only so much control a manufacturer has over an inexpensive licensed product made overseas.

The downward price pressure in the industry can’t be a good thing if you’re at all picky.

Inexpensive overseas goods can’t compare. PRS might have gotten lucky re: the original Korean SEs.

I completely agree. I think the main problem is that people like me have an older SE that set the standard for them. The new guitars aren’t that bad for the price point. It is the fact that the old guitars were made well out of their price range.

Last edited:
I’m gonna throw this out there for discussion; I’m not saying I know the answer.

However nice it may be, is an inexpensive guitar made under license in another country by an independent overseas manufacturer truly a PRS, even if it sports the name on the headstock?

For me (maybe I’m the cheese that stands alone), a real PRS Guitar is made in Maryland at the factory Paul Smith runs personally, and where he oversees production, with the highest quality stuff available.

I have nothing against licensing the name, or licensing designs, etc; it’s done all the time in many industries. I do, however think that there’s only so much control a manufacturer has over an inexpensive licensed product made overseas.

The downward price pressure in the industry can’t be a good thing if you’re at all picky.

Inexpensive overseas goods can’t compare. PRS might have gotten lucky re: the original Korean SEs.

In part, I agree but I also think that if its going to have the PRS name on it, it needs to meet certain standards too. Whether its made in Maryland, Korea or Indonesia, its still got Paul Reed Smith on the headstock and the quality reflects on PRS more than it does on Cortec or World Music. Its their reputation. Certain aspects are obviously going to be a compromise over a US made instrument to hit the price point but they should still be sent to Maryland and be checked by a PRS employee before being shipped out for sale.

I am not saying that the person(s) responsible for checking these before they get distributed for sale has let these 'poor' quality instruments leave the factory as some of the issues may well have occurred afterwards - whilst on display for anyone to come in and play them. The store has a certain amount of responsibility too but I know some stores won't check a guitar over before dispatching it under a certain price.

If you bought it in store, then you would likely be trying the guitars on display, looking over the fit and finish, checking the pots etc and wouldn't buy one that was damaged. Therefore I can only assume it was bought online and shipped out. You have no idea whether that guitar had just come in to the store or been on display for months played by 'hundreds' of people who may have damaged something.

Bits under the finish is perhaps not something PRS would be scrutinising - a quick run of the hand up and down the neck to see if it feels smooth and the frets aren't sprouting or likely to cut someone but as long as it plays and has all the right parts working, then that's 'good enough'. They aren't going to sand it down and refinish it at that price and only major issues are likely to be addressed.

I can't speak for PRS, what there checks on SE guitars involve, what they will let through etc but I can't see Paul wanting his name on something if it doesn't meet a certain standard for the price point. If it is getting too expensive to build an SE in Korea and its cheaper to move some production to Indonesia, I would think that Paul would only do that if the quality doesn't drop or would stick with WMI and raise the price a bit - assuming the relationship between PRS and WMI hasn't soured in some way...

I

Totally agree. I had a Korean Soapbar II, which was fine as far as QC was concerned, and though the neck and frets were fine, they looked and felt “generic import,” if that makes sense.

Not bad mind you, but not like even my S2 Standard satin 24, which definitely feels Maryland built (which it is).

So while it doesn’t bother me that there’s some import parts on it, and the trem may not be one piece, etc etc. it “feels” like a PRS, and sounds good enough for me.

It was brand new and under one kilo buck too.

I have seen and hefted Indonesian PRS guitars that were on a par with my Korean as far as QC, but pretty heavy, and of the “generic import” feel. Not bad, but not for me.

The "problem" is that for 10+ years, consistently excellent PRS SE guitars came out of WMI in Korea. And with the switch to Cor-Tek in Indonesia, there's no denying in this short time that the build quality (or consistency of build quality) is anywhere near that of WMI/Korea. Lots of talk here and on other forums, and as a regular at a few local guitar stores, I always plug in any PRS they have in stock - I'm sad to say I would not buy an Indonesian-made SE at this point. On the other hand, I play my Korean SE C22 as much as my McCarty - it's that good of an instrument.

What's puzzling to me, though, is why these issues are not being caught during inspection in Maryland? Are 100% of the SE's inspected there, or just a sampling of each batch that come in?

I’m hoping the rumours (which come from peoples experience) of sub par Indonesian made guitars will make the Korean made ones hold value better as people may start looking for slightly older Korean made guitars rather than opt for a new indo made one.

I’ll get the 409 and some paper towels. Yuk...and in the living room, no less...:rolleyes:

Back