New member PRS guitar quality issues.

Can you say more about that? I have a couple of SE Custom 24s and what attracted me to them is the amazing wide/thin neck. The intonation for each string can be adjusted separately on the SE CU24, so when you say the intonation is better on the S2 are you talking about models with a fixed, wraparound bridge?

I have a 30th Anniversary SE Custom 24. It's a beautiful guitar. I had to have the frets above the octave re-leveled and crowned so I could play there with reasonable sustain, and be in tune. I don't live on cowboy chords, so I do play up there on the dusty end of the fretboard. The nut also had to be replaced, which is standard for the SE's. If you use standard gauge strings, the fixed bridge is fine. As I said, the core and S2's haven't needed anything at all. They still have better sound (to my ears) than the SE's. The SE's are excellent guitars. They are better than anything else in their price category.

Just to drop my two cents - the quality and value (and mojo) the Korean SE's had for the money is/was insane. As a broke college kid, I was able to score an SE Cu24 during a Sweetwater Black Friday deal, and it was utterly insane. I was a djenty Ibanez and Schecter kid before that (having owned some of their nicer Prestige level offerings as well as Korean guitars from those companies). I never realized how much my hands would like a rounder neck, a 10" radius, and how much the mahogany/maple combo actually ripped. Going online and seeing a community of people who also knew that the combo of WMI's craftsmanship + PRS's stateside QC made these guitars an incredible value made me all the more happy with my purchase. My first purchase out of school was a Core Cu24, followed by an S2 Cu22 Semi.

All those kids who bought in because of the SE Holcomb sig could be on a similar path - future customers of PRS, but not if the quality of the SE's goes down, IMO. I'm not sure what models are/aren't made in Indonesia now, but I guarantee you those factories have NOT caught up to WMI.

...which makes it stronger :) (on a side note, I think my Taylor has scarf joints. Or maybe just the new ones do??)

The S2 has a scarf joint and an added glued on heel.

Yes, headstock is joined with scarf joint, and heel is glued on, but the neck itself is a single piece on the S2, whereas the SE has a 3-piece neck.

Most all guitars with an angled headstock, and extended heel, use a scarf joint for the headstock, as well as the glued on heel. My Taylors have the scarf and glued on heel also.

Too wasteful to use one solid piece for the entire neck like they used to do.

Last edited:
I checked my Taylor. I don't think it does have a scarf joint or glued heel. (if it does, it's so well done I can't see it.) ...but it is an older one (95). I thought they all did but perhaps I read about this a few years later??? For what it's worth though, my luthier told me there is minor neck compression on my Taylor which about where the heel is so perhaps I wouldn't have this problem if it was glued instead of one piece??

I certainly don't have any issue with glued heels and scarf joints on guitars especially if it makes the guitar stronger or more reliable. Aesthetically they are not as nice but functionally the same. I would say the increased strength is a good trade off.

I recently purchased a PRS SE Standard made by Cor-Tek, and the finish left much to be desired. The back plate had some really bad routing.

I have returned the guitar and I'm waiting on a replacement.

167vwon.jpg

get.php

My three week old, mint 2018 Cor-Tek SE 24 never sounded right to begin with, and now the neck pickup has basically quit. I have a 2015 4th (?) generation Santana SE that is MIK (the first Santana SE with the “identical” body profile) and that guitar’s build quality is on a whole other level than this SE 24.

Very disappointed by this. I am going to venture a guess that this is a real problem for PRS, because an online search of both Musicians Friend and Sam Ash reveals that there are virtually no SE 24’s or 22’s to be had-they are all noted as “more on the way.” I don’t think that this is because they are flying off the shelves. I think, and again this is a wild guess, that Paul’s blessed obsession with quality coupled with enough returned guitars has resulted in a manufacturing “stand down” and that they have slowed or even halted production by Cor-Tek until they get it right.

That could be Rex, as my SE Paul’s guitar was originally scheduled for end of February/March delivery, then was delayed until May.

I was also interested in the new Santana Se Singlecut Trem, which was introduced at NAMM a couple of months ago. I was fortunate enough to go to NAMM this year and actually played one for a minute or two.

When I got home (to NYC) I looked in to buying one and found out that they won’t be available until...July! Something is amiss and I am gonna give PRS the benefit of the doubt and think that they are aware that more than a few people have encountered issues that one would not expect in any PRS branded guitar, irrespective of cost. I hope I am right.

I bought my first PRS, made in Korea SE Custom 24 last month. As an informal check, I went to the local Guitar Center a couple weeks later and played all the PRS SEs and S2s they had there. Not sure if it was just me, but the Indonesian ones didn’t feel anywhere close to it with the exception of the two Zebrawood ones they had which were not that bad. I bought mine online but the store had photos of the actual guitar which showed that it was a Korean model which helped a ton when it came to deciding.

-k

Maybe we should note if there are differences between Cor Tek and PT Wildwood, both Indonesian. It seems to me that Cor Tek might be the ones with issues. My SE Std 22 is PT Wildwood, and seems pretty decent quality wise.

Come to think about it, it is surprising to have this discussion at all about any PRS guitar. Tone, materials, feel, size, looks, wiring, pickups-those are all matters of personal preference. But it has always been my assumption that build quality would never be an issue, and unfortunately it seems to be one now.
I really want to replace my half dead SE24 with another, and it is just a drag to now have to consider which oem maker built it and where it was built. Never expected that to happen and I really do hope it is just a hiccup. Would be sad for "pre Indonesia" to connote something like "pre CBS, " or "pre-Norlin."

Hi, This is my first post. Just asking if anyone else has had quality issues with cor tek made in Indonesia PRS guitars.
I purchased my first electric guitar a couple of weeks ago a standard se 24 in tabacco burst. After playing for a few days there was just something not right about the sound of it even though it was in tune. I went back to the shop and they agreed it wasn't right and the best way they discribed the sound was sour and agreed to change it.
The shop ordered in 2 se 24 standards in translucent blue for me to try. So I go back to the shop a couple of days later. The 1st one I try I can tell straight away that it played alot better and sounded right but the paint finish was rubbish the body was more of a solid colour and the neck had more of a Matt finish so the guitar looked like it had to different blue finishes.
So now I have a look at the 2nd one. This one ticked all the boxes and the colour was right. Or so I thought. After taking this one home with me I have noticed that that on the 14th fret the binding has been chipped and cracked when the fret has been put in then laquered over and also on the body someone has been heavy handed with the sander as it has left a hollow that you clearly see when the light catches it.
I am now waiting for a replacement to come in but it has left me with no confidence this model. Do I persevere or change to another make that isn't made by cor tek.
I am having the same issues right now, I got a SE 245 and the first one came with a huge unfinished spot on the neck heel, then my dealer sent me a replacement and the replacement had over filed fret edges that created a small slant which made the high E string roll off the fretboard easily, now I am waiting for a 3rd replacement but I don’t have any high hopes anymore, I feel like I might as well go with epiphone at this point

Hey EPICA, you found one!

From what little I know about PRSh, he seems to be obsessed with quality, and I believe that he will make it right, wherever the guitars are made. I feel that at least some of the few complaints so far, are unnecessarily critical, (such as looks), while some are genuine, but relatively few in total.

I would persevere with PRS, and If one model doesn't suit you, try another. I am still waiting for the SE Paul's guitar that I have ordered (Indonesian), due in May, and I will see for myself. I suspect that many, many others are waiting too, and I'm sure each will be as happy as a kid with two peters when their guitar arrives. I got an SE Standard 22, which is Indonesian (PT Wildwood), and good quality considering the price.

Be sure to deal with a reputable place with great return policy. All we can really expect as customers, is that if we don't like it, return it.

I bought one of these Blue PRS SE Custom 24 Indonesian made guitars and I am kicking my self for it. I also own a Korean model. I matched the specs online but when the guitar arrived it was obvious that the spec didn't match a bit. The worst part was the action. The guitar is like a bow and arrow. I had it set up and it was better for a while but then it went bow and arrow again. The strings buzz every where. I had it looked at professionally and the frets are so uneven its astonishing. I am totally discouraged with it but at least I have something to go hunting with now. The best use of your money if you are thinking of buying one of these guitars is go to Reverb and find a used Korean made. Korean guitars are your best bet.

I bought one of these Blue PRS SE Custom 24 Indonesian made guitars and I am kicking my self for it. I also own a Korean model. I matched the specs online but when the guitar arrived it was obvious that the spec didn't match a bit. The worst part was the action. The guitar is like a bow and arrow. I had it set up and it was better for a while but then it went bow and arrow again. The strings buzz every where. I had it looked at professionally and the frets are so uneven its astonishing. I am totally discouraged with it but at least I have something to go hunting with now. The best use of your money if you are thinking of buying one of these guitars is go to Reverb and find a used Korean made. Korean guitars are your best bet.

What a bummer, your dealer should be able to sort it for you.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but you should really take it up with your dealer first. There's no telling what your guitar went through from the time it left the factory until you received it. I have an Indonesian SE, and the setup/playability/quality is right up there with my USA core guitars.

Back