Need to swap out my CU24 Vintage Bass

Perry

So I have had my CU24 for over 10 years and have never been truly happy with the sound of the VB. I think it lacks the character and versatility of the bridge HFS.

A couple of years ago I swapped out the 5-way rotary to PRS’ 3-way conversion kit with the tone control coil split (or tap?). I was hoping to get a nice coil tapped sound from the VB for rhythm but it just sounds like a weaker version of the characterless humbucker sound. I am well versed in the importance of PU and pole heights and over the years have tried just about every height combination possible. I am coming to the conclusion that it may possibly be a design thing; the position of the PU below the 24th fret perhaps not ideal for getting the best from the pickup.

I have recently joined a gigging covers band and I need to have a clear, articulate rhythm sound. Has anyone else successfully swapped out their VB for this reason and if so, what did you get?

"B"
Possibly in that order.

The 8515 seems to have a lot of output regardless of what it measures especially if you have a little more low end in your tone. Almost over powers 5909 and 8515 bridge.

I'm thinking if you really like the HFS then the 8515 just may be your ticket. Only problem............8515s are square bobbins.

Almost any photo of a guitar with the 8515 or any of these versions will show the bridge pickup higher by a significant amount than any other combination.

Like you, I wasn’t big on the VB in my older PRSes.

I’ve got a CU24 that came with an 85\15, and love it, especially because lowering the volume cleans it up nicely for rhythm playing without losing too much high end, and the pickup has character; the only caveat being to find out whether it will fit in your pickup ring.

I’m also a fan of the 58\15 and the 57\08. Again, these respond well to the volume control on the guitar, and clean up beautifully. One habit I have is to set my amps up for a light crunch with the guitar volume control around 6-7, and the guitar tone rolled back a bit, so rolling the volume a little lower cleans it up, and then I can add high end to taste right from the instrument.

But I’m old-school, and mainly use single channel amps.

I’m sure there are any number of high-character aftermarket pickups that will work, if you tell them what you’re looking to accomplish.

Back