I bought a cool used bass. Really cheap. Needs new pickups tho.

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
It's for my recordings. A 10 year old Ibanez Mikro bass. These short scale basses have a lively tone and play really well. But the pickups are not so great.

I've had the white one in the photo for a few years. The new one is sunburst.

Thinking about EMG's. A Jazz/P-Bass set.

I haven't swapped many bass pickups and haven't tried many bass replacement pickups.

Is EMG the way to go?

I could go with Duncans too. They've never let me down.

But I'm thinking active pickups.

Last edited:
I put EMG GZRs in my Mikro (though I eventually sold the Mikro). They were a tight fit and needed some dremel work to get in there. The Mikro pups are a little smaller than standard.

I put EMG GZRs in my Mikro (though I eventually sold the Mikro). They were a tight fit and needed some dremel work to get in there. The Mikro pups are a little smaller than standard.
Didn't know that. Shoot...

Didn't want this to turn into a woodworking project.

I've used EMG's , and actually have a P J set (new) that I'd installed on request for a client, against my recommendation. I later installed a set of Bartolini's and he was WAY more pleased . I use Bart's on both of my basses and outside of Alembic they are my fave's . I've also installed them on guitars with great results. They updated thier pre amps a while back and there are MANY options in terms of how many controls and what you need. The Narrowfield soapbar is great in the bridge

I've used EMG's , and actually have a P J set (new) that I'd installed on request for a client, against my recommendation. I later installed a set of Bartolini's and he was WAY more pleased . I use Bart's on both of my basses and outside of Alembic they are my fave's . I've also installed them on guitars with great results. They updated thier pre amps a while back and there are MANY options in terms of how many controls and what you need. The Narrowfield soapbar is great in the bridge
This is sad though....

I agree. Barts are my preferred PJ setup.

It doesn’t need to be a woodworking project. The fit is close. You can sand down the pickup covers instead.
Kowabunga!

Not sure my $200 Ibanez Mikro is worthy of Bartolinis but I'm certain they'd improve it.

Kim Stone, who's played with Spyro Gyra, is someone I've played with and he plays a handmade Tobias with Bartolinis.

Kim gets one of the best bass sounds I've ever heard.

Wonder what a P-Bass/Jazz set of Barts would set me back?

Last edited:
Barts aren’t that expensive. Run close to the same as EMGs. The classifieds at talkbass.com sees them come up used from time to time.

My first set of Barts was in a pre-Gibson Tobias, my next set in a pedulla. These were 2 of the best sounding basses I’ve ever owned. So I had to put a set in one of my customs. And maybe another in an upcoming build I’m planning for next year.

Barts aren’t that expensive. Run close to the same as EMGs. The classifieds at talkbass.com sees them come up used from time to time.

My first set of Barts was in a pre-Gibson Tobias, my next set in a pedulla. These were 2 of the best sounding basses I’ve ever owned. So I had to put a set in one of my customs. And maybe another in an upcoming build I’m planning for next year.
I think Lee Sklar uses Barts too.

Do they make a Jazz/P-Bass set that has prewired controls like EMG offers?

Not sure if they offer pre-wired controls. I’ve never bought their stuff as a diy replacement. I wish all pup manufacturers and preamp makers offered prewired and solder free options.

An old Ibanez RD707 is really cheap, Japanese made (Fujigen) and with normal sized pickup routes.
I went passive on mine with a P/J set of DiMarzios.

An old Ibanez RD707 is really cheap, Japanese made (Fujigen) and with normal sized pickup routes.
I went passive on mine with a P/J set of DiMarzios.
Well all the great old Fender basses were passive.

Nothing wrong with that sound. Cheaper too.

James Jamerson, Jaco, Carole Kaye...

Last edited:
It's for my recordings. A 10 year old Ibanez Mikro bass. It has a lively tone and plays really well. But the pickups are not so great.

Thinking about EMG's. A Jazz/P-Bass set.

I haven't swapped many bass pickups and haven't tried many bass replacement pickups.

Is EMG the way to go?

I could go with Duncans too. They've never let me down.

But I'm thinking active pickups.

I put EMGX pups and preamp in mine. Fits nicely (I had to trim the sides of the bridge pup a bit)). Took it from being an “ok” bass to a real keeper. I use it a lot.

Also, the Mikro has a kind of cult following of players who mod their Mikros. Their forum thread is here.

I put EMGX pups and preamp in mine. Fits nicely (I had to trim the sides of the bridge pup a bit)). Took it from being an “ok” bass to a real keeper. I use it a lot.

Also, the Mikro has a kind of cult following of players who mod their Mikros. Their forum thread is here.
Wow. I like that. Mine could look like that.

I did not know they have a cult following.

How are those X pickups different from standard EMG's?

Last edited:
Wow. I like that. Mine could look like that.

How are those X pickups different from standard EMG's?
From the EMG website:
The EMG PJAX Set uses Alnico V magnets for a smooth top end that adds more vintage character to your tone. EMG's PAX adds warmth, and incredible low end punch, while the LJAX provides a tight mid-range with dynamic high end response. This pickups set has low noise with tones ranging from tight slap funk, rock, to smooth Motown grooves. With EMG's solderless wiring harness included, the PJAX Set is easy to install at home.

The X series preamp gives the pickup a more dynamic range along with increased headroom while keeping the more traditional string-to-string balance. X series pickups also come with an Active Tone Control (VLPF) designed to roll-off (attenuate) high frequencies, similar to a typical passive tone control. The result is a noiseless single coil guitar pickup with a classic EMG sound that bridges the gap between active and passive.

Pretty sure most, if not all Barts are passive. They are passive pickups and active preamps. They sound fabulous in passive mode.
A while back, I replaced the stock preamp on a Hartke bass with a Bart preamp. Big difference in sound quality. But I don’t think that the Mikro cavity has room for anything but an EMG preamp. Their components are mounted on the pots. I even had to redrill the jack hole at an angle to make mine fit right.

So maybe I'll just pop a passive Duncan or Fender Jazz P-Bass set in there.

Not worry about a preamp.

Sure anything "good" will be an improvement.

Back