I bought a cool used bass. Really cheap. Needs new pickups tho.

Just remembered.
I wouldn’t have needed to redrill the jack hole except that I added a stacked tone control instead of just using the tone control that came with the set.
My bad…

Not the be "that guy", but oh well:

This is a PRS forum. "Discuss PRS Guitars and Amplifiers" is what is says under the Forum section. Forum rules ask that we don't generally discuss non-PRS guitars - there are a myriad of other places to do that. So unless there is PRS content somehow related...

At the very least, take it to the "General Discussion" area.

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but I do like this forum just the way it is, ultra-focused on PRS.

Found a used set of the EMG PJ active pickups and bought them for $100 shipped.

Seems to include everything I'll need. Three cool black metal knobs, three pots, battery connector, etc.

These have to be a lot better than what's in the bass now.

My buddy Robb Galloway has a gold record on his wall for the album he recorded with Carole King. He has these pickups in his handmade bass and he can make them purr, moan, do Jaco...

I've always admired his tone so these will be perfect.

Yup.
Remember, the J pup might need a little trim.

I actually have two of these Ibanez MiKro basses.

Both branded "Ibanez" but made by CORT...same company that makes some PRS SE's?

My SE Silver Sky says "Cor-Tek" as the manufacturer on the back of the peghead. So maybe there is a PRS connection.

Just found some Bartolinis! Used and old but my black MiKro is not pristine and needs a better pickup set.

Think I'll strip them both down, install the EMG's in one and the Barts in the other.

Buy some new strings too. Short scale.

I'll put roundwounds on one and maybe 1/2 rounds on the other.

Those Barts look like Barts that were well loved. I actually like the way they age. I hope they sound great! They’re my favorite PJ set.
I hope they become my favorites!

I've played with two different guys who used those pickups I just purchased, and one used Barts and one used EMGs.

Might have said this already but the Barts were warmer and deeper...while the EMGs sounded more clinical and not so big and deep. But the way my buddy plays he gets that warm deep sound from his EMGs too.

I haven't heard any modern-era bass pickups I like better than Bartolini or EMG.

Last edited:
Now that you've got all this stuff, the guitars, the pickups, the basses, the recording gear...

What's the game plan? I'm ready to hear some new material.
Well this is going to sound like BS but it's true:

My buddy David Snider owns a nice studio here in Paonia and Carlos Santana is a buddy of his.

David was supposed to come by my place this week and finish getting me up and running.

Only Carlos called and invited him to Las Vegas this week to sit in with the band!

So he's in Las Vegas playing with Santana.

Of all the nerve!

Last edited:
Well this is going to sound like BS but it's true:

My buddy David Snider owns a nice studio here in Paonia and Carlos Santana is a buddy of his.

David was supposed to come by my place this week and finish getting me up and running.

Only Carlos called and invited him to Las Vegas this week to sit in with the band.!

So he's in Las Vegas playing with Santana.

Of all the nerve!
Here's a pic of Dave and Carlos and Dave and John McLaughlin at Crossroads. Turns out David played keyboards with Carlos and John. He's accomplished on guitar, keys and bass. Talented guy. Now i need him back in my little studio to help me get this thing moving forward faster.

Last edited:
I paid $250 for a used Squier with the Duncan PJ set.
Our bassist leaves his other basses at home and uses this one.
Sounds great.

Back