There can be only one (maybe?)

Jimmy

I've come to the realization that I only want to have one or two electric guitars (blasphemy!). There are 4 in my collection right now (not counting the Taylor GS Mini acoustic that I'm keeping), and looking at my rack every day is a source of anxiety from having too many choices, too much upkeep, etc. I'm definitely not a collector. For me, I'm pretty sure that less will be more. Any thoughts/opinions would definitely be appreciated! Here's what I've got right now:

The easy eliminations (I think):
1) Sterling short scale bass - I haven't touched it in 3 years. I bought it thinking I would lay down some bass tracks with it. In reality, I have a hard enough time creating music with just my guitars, so it's just collecting dust.
2) Ibanez Q52 - This thing is an awesome headless guitar that I bought for travel and vacations. The fantasy of playing it on vacation didn't really pan out though. I spend most of my vacations focused on quality time with my family. It's a fun, lightweight thing. Great for an office chair or couch. Neck feels very modern. Frets aren't very wide, and I want my main guitar to have a tremolo, so I think it's going.

The hard choices:
1) Fiore - Yep, an extremely versatile HSS guitar. Love the satin neck. Pickups sound amazing. Naturally gets those glassy tones. Just a hair heavy if I'm picky.
2) S2 Custom 24-08 - Yep, an extremely versatile HH guitar. I love me a good neck humbucker, and the import pickups sound amazing to me. I also love the bevel-cut for forearm comfort.

I imagine most people will be like: "Keep the Fiore and the S2. Maintenance on two guitars is reasonable." If I had to go to one, I think I'm more of a humbucker guy, so I'd probably keep the S2, but it's fun to talk shop!

I understand; I'm going through the same phase with my guitars. I only have two now, and I may buy the third one soon. All three would have different duties. My Custom 24 (Anniversary 24-08) is all around great guitar. It could easily be my desert island guitar, which does everything exceptionally well. It's tuned to Eb, and I spend most of my playing time with him. Bone stock and needs no changes. The other I own is a heavily modified '99 Standard 24. I have changed pickups to Tremonti Bridge and 59/09 Neck, which I have a love/hate relationship with. It would be my drop C guitar, but it doesn't do in this tuning. I changed the tuning to Drop D a couple of months ago, and it agrees with the darker nature of this guitar just fine. I have played less and less in Drop C anyway, and the guitar was getting neglected. I'm currently considering either Fiore or an EJ strat for single-coil tones. I grew up on Stratocasters, and I have that sort of itch I can't scratch off. My Custom 24 in split helps a bit, but there is no split HB to match the decent single coil tone ever.

Everything else would be just doubling what I already have or using. Excess I don't need.

I can't tell you what you should keep or shouldn't. Calculate the needs divided by space and come up with the numbers.

Good luck.

The maintenance issue you mentioned is another reason I restrict myself from having many guitars. I used to have up to seven guitars, and the string changes and all maintenance-related tasks were too much. I change the strings in my guitars every two to three weeks. I don't sweat too much, but I like fresh strings tone on my guitars. Once the violins change the colour from metal to black, I put a new set on. I would go mental if I had many guitars again.

Let me put it that way; with two guitars only, I reached the VIP tier on Daddario Player Circle last year. I will most likely hold the title this year too ;)

I too have been trying to downsize/simplify my gear. I would actually love to have only 1-2 electric guitars and 1 amp. But I love so many different styles/tones of music, it's difficult... I like and play everything from old jazz to 80's hair metal. Tele, Cabronita w/P90s, Gretsch, Charvel/Jackson "pointy headstock", superstrat, DGT.....

Sorry I can't be of help picking "the one"... my tele is my "the one", the one I would save if the house were burning down, so I guess that's the one I'll end up with in the very end... but the others just sound so good... I know it's difficult. Good luck.

The maintenance issue you mentioned is another reason I restrict myself from having many guitars. I used to have up to seven guitars, and the string changes and all maintenance-related tasks were too much. I change the strings in my guitars every two to three weeks. I don't sweat too much, but I like fresh strings tone on my guitars. Once the violins change the colour from metal to black, I put a new set on. I would go mental if I had many guitars again.

Let me put it that way; with two guitars only, I reached the VIP tier on Daddario Player Circle last year. I will most likely hold the title this year too ;)
That’s awesome! It definitely means you are playing music a lot, which is what I want to focus on. Thanks!

That’s awesome! It definitely means you are playing music a lot, which is what I want to focus on. Thanks!
It varies. Due to the nature of my job, I often finish late, and I'm barely able to lift a guitar off the stand. But when I'm off, I always have my guitar on my lap.

I value my time since I have so little time for fun.

I was in that situation too. I kept my S2 and GOC headless 7. Each for a different use. So, I have to say, keep the S2 and the Q52, if it was me. Tune each to different tunings so they both have a different purpose.

Back